Brace yourselves for the latest "expected" amenity

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I don't provide a gas pump for guests, it is highly unlikely that I will be offering this feature in the near future. I will be long dead by the time electric cars are the norm.

Like Muirford says, it is something road trip worthy (I am saying that but addng to her comments), like those who have convertable sports cars, they will seek out inns with off street private parking for their babies, this is in a similar vein (imo). You can be added to a directory or something that electric cars would be SURE to use when they get out and about.
Maybe there will be an electric car rally? Oh wait, they already have that at Disneyland. :)
autopia1959-dl.jpg

Perhaps one of my allt ime faves as a kid! The car of the future, autopia.

I have a hybrid so it charges itself. Most electric cars out today can't go much further than 35 miles on a charge and those that do also use gas...so let them use their own gas. And charge it when they get home.

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but our electric company has set up a number of charging stations. It is $2.50 per charge. Our electricity runs 7.75c per kw (residential), so basically if I estimated this correctly, they are estimating that 32 kw is needed to charge an electric vehicle. They can pull out their electric bill, calculate their per kw price and double it for the markup.
I think Vermont is in the range of 12.75c per kWh, so that makes the wholesale cost of electricity charge about $4.08, adding the markup, so $8 to $9 for the charge..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I think Vermont is in the range of 12.75c per kWh, so that makes the wholesale cost of electricity charge about $4.08, adding the markup, so $8 to $9 for the charge.
It's 16 cents here. Why mark it up? Why charge at all? Some guests stay in the shower for 30 minutes. Some of them use every possible amenity available and walk off with what they can't use at the moment. The innkeeper should get the facts on the amount of money this is going to cost (minimal) and then use it as a marketing tool. 'Recharge your batteries and your car's as well!'
If the inn is in VT, they should jump on this bandwagon. Take pix of the guest's car charging up. Make a little sign for the outlet with a car with a big smile on its grill.
As JB would say, 'Blog it baby!'
Okay, other side of the coin, it's an added expense that you are absorbing, so either you put your price up to cover it, or you lower your profits. I assume that you don't want to lower your profits, so you will likely add it into the price.
But we also have different considerations. For some people it might be an amenity that you throw in, but not for me. I can't afford it.
I know that calculations are different for you, but in the city a parking space has costs. Around here, a parking space is about $50K to purchase, or about $7 a day in mortgage payments. Sure in Vermont you can get 50 acres for $50K in some places, here it's a single parking spot, before city property taxes and insurance. So just to get them to the plug costs me $7 a day, never mind the electricity.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Okay, other side of the coin, it's an added expense that you are absorbing, so either you put your price up to cover it, or you lower your profits. I assume that you don't want to lower your profits, so you will likely add it into the price.
That's not really the entire list of options. It can also be an added amenity that will increase your occupancy, so that even if your per room profits are lower, your overall profit is higher.
We all have lots of variable costs per room for standard amenities. One room uses all the soaps and takes the individual bottles of goodies, another doesn't. One room takes $3.00 worth of snacks from the snack basket, another doesn't. Some guests drink a pot of coffee in the morning, another drinks a cup. If the added cost of electricity is in the pot of coffee/snack basket range, I wouldn't see the rationale in charging for it. IMO, that puts us in the realm of the hotels, with the $4.50 bottled water, $10 cashews, and $15.00 internet fee.
It seems like it would be clear to me that if free parking isn't one of your amenities, then free electric for charging your car is not going to be an amenity. Apples and oranges.
If your occupancy can handle it. Mine, can't. In the summer I usually max out on occupancy and increasing my rates changes my clientele.
In the inner city, the costs of the parking spot and electricity are well over $10. That's actual costs. Certainly more than a few snacks and a pot of coffee. Everyone in the inner city charges for parking, it's an amenitity used by maybe 20% of my customer, higher in the summer, much much lower in the winter.

Since I don't provide a gas pump for guests, it is highly unlikely that I will be offering this feature in the near future. I will be long dead by the time electric cars are the norm..
Proud Texan said:
...I don't provide a gas pump for guests...
The difference is that they can drive to a gas pump and fill up in 5 minutes. Recharging an electric car takes hours, meaning they'll generally need to do it overnight at your place. They can't be expected to go park at a public charging station and wait hours to charge up.
Granted, it's currently a rare thing that won't be something everybody wants to offfer now.
I'd say if it's just a matter of having a 240V plugin available, it would be fairly cheap and easy to have an electrician get you up and running. But if you have to also buy an $800 piece of hardware (some kind of charger/converter) to offer this, that's a different story.
Still investigating...

Since I don't provide a gas pump for guests, it is highly unlikely that I will be offering this feature in the near future. I will be long dead by the time electric cars are the norm..
Proud Texan said:
...I don't provide a gas pump for guests...
The difference is that they can drive to a gas pump and fill up in 5 minutes. Recharging an electric car takes hours, meaning they'll generally need to do it overnight at your place. They can't be expected to go park at a public charging station and wait hours to charge up.
Granted, it's currently a rare thing that won't be something everybody wants to offfer now.
I'd say if it's just a matter of having a 240V plugin available, it would be fairly cheap and easy to have an electrician get you up and running. But if you have to also buy an $800 piece of hardware (some kind of charger/converter) to offer this, that's a different story.
Still investigating...
Thank you. You and Eric Arthur have brought up the 2 things I thought of immediately - how much is it going to cost to make it available and how many will be using it. for me with 3 rooms - it could be negligible but for those #1 in an area where those cars will be found in possible quanitiy AND #2 have 6 or more rooms, it could be a big deal in $$.
I was thinking pro-active. I have always been ready to look at the possiblity of being the only one to offer something BUT I also prefer to look at the potential cost to me before offering it. IF these things do get a niche - there is also a push for natural gas power for cars and stations being set up here in WV - isn't it better to have rather than just saying "it will give me a leg-up" to looking at the potential costs and having the policy in place.

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but our electric company has set up a number of charging stations. It is $2.50 per charge. Our electricity runs 7.75c per kw (residential), so basically if I estimated this correctly, they are estimating that 32 kw is needed to charge an electric vehicle. They can pull out their electric bill, calculate their per kw price and double it for the markup.
I think Vermont is in the range of 12.75c per kWh, so that makes the wholesale cost of electricity charge about $4.08, adding the markup, so $8 to $9 for the charge..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I think Vermont is in the range of 12.75c per kWh, so that makes the wholesale cost of electricity charge about $4.08, adding the markup, so $8 to $9 for the charge.
It's 16 cents here. Why mark it up? Why charge at all? Some guests stay in the shower for 30 minutes. Some of them use every possible amenity available and walk off with what they can't use at the moment. The innkeeper should get the facts on the amount of money this is going to cost (minimal) and then use it as a marketing tool. 'Recharge your batteries and your car's as well!'
If the inn is in VT, they should jump on this bandwagon. Take pix of the guest's car charging up. Make a little sign for the outlet with a car with a big smile on its grill.
As JB would say, 'Blog it baby!'
But we also have different considerations. For some people it might be an amenity that you throw in, but not for me. I can't afford it.
I know that calculations are different for you, but in the city a parking space has costs. Around here, a parking space is about $50K to purchase, or about $7 a day in mortgage payments. Sure in Vermont you can get 50 acres for $50K in some places, here it's a single parking spot, before city property taxes and insurance. So just to get them to the plug costs me $7 a day, never mind the electricity.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That's not really the entire list of options. It can also be an added amenity that will increase your occupancy, so that even if your per room profits are lower, your overall profit is higher.
We all have lots of variable costs per room for standard amenities. One room uses all the soaps and takes the individual bottles of goodies, another doesn't. One room takes $3.00 worth of snacks from the snack basket, another doesn't. Some guests drink a pot of coffee in the morning, another drinks a cup. If the added cost of electricity is in the pot of coffee/snack basket range, I wouldn't see the rationale in charging for it. IMO, that puts us in the realm of the hotels, with the $4.50 bottled water, $10 cashews, and $15.00 internet fee.
It seems like it would be clear to me that if free parking isn't one of your amenities, then free electric for charging your car is not going to be an amenity. Apples and oranges.
If your occupancy can handle it. Mine, can't. In the summer I usually max out on occupancy and increasing my rates changes my clientele.
In the inner city, the costs of the parking spot and electricity are well over $10. That's actual costs. Certainly more than a few snacks and a pot of coffee. Everyone in the inner city charges for parking, it's an amenitity used by maybe 20% of my customer, higher in the summer, much much lower in the winter.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
From a strictly business viewpoint, why would you consider adding any amenity if you are already at the occupancy and price level that you want to be? I add amenities if I want to a) raise my rates, b) increase my occupancy or c) have a cause that I feel strongly about and want to support (eliminating plastic water bottles). I can't think of anything that doesn't fall into those categories. Even keeping up with the Joneses (my competitors) is really just an aspect of occupancy - if you don't have the same amenities your competitors do, you'll lose occupancy to them.
I get that your parking costs would be too high, since you have to actually obtain the parking before you could even consider offering a charge. It's really not the same comparison for those who already own their own parking. Apples to oranges.

i was reading about equipment costs to have a dedicated charger outlet and installation ... with PERMIT and inspection for a business that offers it to the public ... about $10,000
interesting reading about free charging stations where the car is all charged but people leave their cars plugged in all night so others can use it, etc.
another new thing to think about and anticipate questions about. thanks for bringing the discussion on board kathleen!

i was reading about equipment costs to have a dedicated charger outlet and installation ... with PERMIT and inspection for a business that offers it to the public ... about $10,000
interesting reading about free charging stations where the car is all charged but people leave their cars plugged in all night so others can use it, etc.
another new thing to think about and anticipate questions about. thanks for bringing the discussion on board kathleen!.
Not offering it to the public and looking at a 'home' version because we don't expect an influx of vehicles, it looks like $1000 for the unit and then that again for the installation.
So, probably not this year.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203405504576599060894172004.html

I'm picturing adding just a 240V outlet they can plug in to. Their vehicle must have its own charger (the $800-$1000 piece of equipment). I can tell the car owner what type receptacle I have and it's up to them to supply the adapter if their plug doesn't match my receptacle.
If I can't do it as simply and inexpensively as that, then I'm not interested. But it would be a nice thing to offer, as long as it doesn't cost a lot to put it in.
Reminds me of the people who book with you because you have a whirlpool tub, then they never use the tub. Just being able to say you have it available is enough to win over some people.

Electric cars in their current state of technology have a niche - around town hops, short commutes, city driving, urban areas where you can find most of what you want within a 25-mile radius. We are a long way off from electric cars being used for road trips of any length. This is not a urgent, imminent demand that anyone needs to brace themselves for. Market to the 'green' guests in other ways, if you want them.
If you have a B&B within 30 miles of Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, an island like Hawaii, or a major metropolitan area where you might get commuters to take a weekend at your place - you might consider what it would mean for your business to have a charging station. Otherwise, I can't imagine that it is worth the time and expense to prepare for it. Given what's happened in the last few weeks, you'd be better off preparing for having no power and investing in a generator and a gasoline storage tank. Even with 6 or more rooms and being in a major metropolitan area, I'll cross that bridge if it ever gets to me.
BTW, there are towns in the Northern U.S. - Watertown, NY comes to mind - where 30 years ago the parking meters were already equipped with electric outlets. People use them to charge electric heaters in the car's engine block so they can start it when the temperature is crazy cold, as it often is. Charging needs can be managed.

I think I told you I am Prez of the Council of Churches. We are meeting Monday night and in the wake of the emergency situation we are still recovering from (storm hit June 29 and about 600 customers in my county were still without power this mortning), I am going to try to create an action plan to be pro-active for shelters in emergencies - not a government function.
You would not believe the liability issues that will have to be considered to offer the PUBLIC a place to shelter in time of emergency. What if someone damages something - will insurance cover it? Do we have the right to refuse anyone? as in sex offenders, drunks, druggies? The things we would be required to provide... I am still researching. If we would consider providing food - a whole other set of issues. What if the churches do not have power - lighting issues.
This thing with the electric cars is something with issues that need to be considered. As businesses serving the public, you are subject to a whole new set of rules and regs. It is not like you are just plugging in a toaster - if it is plugged in incorrectly it could be someone or something that GETS toasted.
My initial thought to the shelters issue was no big deal - the churches have centers or basements - but it really is more than that. Think hard before jumping in.

I'm picturing adding just a 240V outlet they can plug in to. Their vehicle must have its own charger (the $800-$1000 piece of equipment). I can tell the car owner what type receptacle I have and it's up to them to supply the adapter if their plug doesn't match my receptacle.
If I can't do it as simply and inexpensively as that, then I'm not interested. But it would be a nice thing to offer, as long as it doesn't cost a lot to put it in.
Reminds me of the people who book with you because you have a whirlpool tub, then they never use the tub. Just being able to say you have it available is enough to win over some people..
If the 240v works out (let me know how the research goes) I'd be willing to spend the $300 to get it hooked up here. I don't think I'm close enough to city for it to work but after reading about the guy owning a McD's franchise who put one in, what the heck. It's a lot cheaper than a spa tub.
Plus, the person would get 'priority' parking! Right next to the building. (Can't have other guests tripping over the charging cable.)

it's kind of frustrating to come up with hard numbers.
the green websites make it sound relatively inexpensive and suggest solar powered charging ...
some other sites talk about lots of $$$
maybe when the technology catches up the price will come down. like computers!

Electric cars in their current state of technology have a niche - around town hops, short commutes, city driving, urban areas where you can find most of what you want within a 25-mile radius. We are a long way off from electric cars being used for road trips of any length. This is not a urgent, imminent demand that anyone needs to brace themselves for. Market to the 'green' guests in other ways, if you want them.
If you have a B&B within 30 miles of Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, an island like Hawaii, or a major metropolitan area where you might get commuters to take a weekend at your place - you might consider what it would mean for your business to have a charging station. Otherwise, I can't imagine that it is worth the time and expense to prepare for it. Given what's happened in the last few weeks, you'd be better off preparing for having no power and investing in a generator and a gasoline storage tank. Even with 6 or more rooms and being in a major metropolitan area, I'll cross that bridge if it ever gets to me.
BTW, there are towns in the Northern U.S. - Watertown, NY comes to mind - where 30 years ago the parking meters were already equipped with electric outlets. People use them to charge electric heaters in the car's engine block so they can start it when the temperature is crazy cold, as it often is. Charging needs can be managed..
I agree, Muirford, that guests who request a charge will be a very rare occurrence for the majority of innkeepers. Technology is marching forward though as our country moves toward higher mpg standards and car manufacturers will be producing more hybrid vehicles and all electric vehicles, and this could be a niche for certain innkeepers as you pointed out. If you already have an approved charging station for your own vehicle, it's something you could offer. There's no difference in my mind in terms of safety than a guest plugging in their mobile phone to be charged. If your inn doesn't have the capability, it doesn't have it.
I think there are cities that are considering adding EV outlets to parking meters. Heck, you can pay for parking meters via your mobile phones now!
regular_smile.gif

B&Bs need to consider what might add to their bottom line. There will be a major water attraction here in a year or so within walking distance of our house, so safe or offstreet parking for small trailers or cars carrying kayaks/canoes would be a great amenity for a downtown B&B here. We had folks with really pricey bicycles that liked being able to secure them here when we had our B&B.
A generator for power outages is definitely a good idea!

Reminds me of the people who book with you because you have a whirlpool tub, then they never use the tub. Just being able to say you have it available is enough to win over some people..
Arkansawyer said:
Reminds me of the people who book with you because you have a whirlpool tub, then they never use the tub. Just being able to say you have it available is enough to win over some people.
So true!
And really... I wonder how much one of those breathing machines that people use while sleeping runs up my electric bill? Or their laptops and cell phone chargers?
Kk.

Tangible amenities might include attractive guest rooms (lodging), WiFi, dining, parks, swimming pools, golf courses, health club facilities, party rooms, theater or media rooms, bike paths, community centers, services, or garages, for example. -Tax Tiger

Back