Breakfast page!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sonatainn,
If you are in tweaking this page, there are a couple of minor things you may want to adjust while you are in there. Just some finesse stuff, nothing huge.
  1. <meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
    This one is fine but unecessary as it is the default behavior of all search engine spiders. There is no good reason to tell a bot what to do, only to tell it what not to do.
  2. <meta name="googlebot" content="index,follow">
    This one is 100% redundant as it is already covered by the robots one above it. It could be removed.
  3. <meta name="revisit-after" content="14 days">
    This one is not, nor has it ever been used by any search engine that has ever existed. It was proposed by one company but never adopted by that company or any others. It should go.
  4. <meta name="description" CONTENT="Breakfast at The Sonata Inn B&B, Charlottetown, PEI">
    Fix the & ... it should be &amp; This same error occurs in the <title> tag too.
  5. In your navigation menu, add meaningful title attributes (similar to the alt attributes you already have in place). Alt attributes describe the content of the image, title attributes describe the function. They also give the tool tips when hovered over in all compliant browsers. (internet explorer wrongly displays the alt attribute as a tooltip)
  6. Also on your navigation bar and throughout the rest of your site, links to your home page should always be to the root rather than index.html (www.mydomain.com/ rather than www.mydomain.com/index.html)
  7. Your page is missing a Doctype declaration. It is a mandatory html element (the only one) and should be the very first line of code on the page. This will allow you to validate your code which can be a help to point out any issues.
Going to work on all of these suggestions today (yesterday was a busy day for me....Music concerts and Innkeeping!!)
What DOCTYPE do you think I should use? 4.01 scrict? or Traditional?
I notice your fingerlakes page uses 4.01 traditional...should I blatently copy your doctype? ;)
One thing I noticed...my Rezovation custom template uses a XHTML 1.0 Transitional doctype...should I use that them?
I'll fix those title atrributes and change the index.html links to root
To IrisoftheWayfarer: Thanks for the comments!
To Yellowsocks: Thank you as well! Don't worry, I don't think I'll add music...but I will, for sure, add a video sometime soon...I just can't showcase the rooms..because there are pesky guests inside them right now...oh wait! That's a good thing!
To everyone: I know it doesn't say so in my signature...but my name is Mike!

Sonatainn,
If you are in tweaking this page, there are a couple of minor things you may want to adjust while you are in there. Just some finesse stuff, nothing huge.
  1. <meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
    This one is fine but unecessary as it is the default behavior of all search engine spiders. There is no good reason to tell a bot what to do, only to tell it what not to do.
  2. <meta name="googlebot" content="index,follow">
    This one is 100% redundant as it is already covered by the robots one above it. It could be removed.
  3. <meta name="revisit-after" content="14 days">
    This one is not, nor has it ever been used by any search engine that has ever existed. It was proposed by one company but never adopted by that company or any others. It should go.
  4. <meta name="description" CONTENT="Breakfast at The Sonata Inn B&B, Charlottetown, PEI">
    Fix the & ... it should be &amp; This same error occurs in the <title> tag too.
  5. In your navigation menu, add meaningful title attributes (similar to the alt attributes you already have in place). Alt attributes describe the content of the image, title attributes describe the function. They also give the tool tips when hovered over in all compliant browsers. (internet explorer wrongly displays the alt attribute as a tooltip)
  6. Also on your navigation bar and throughout the rest of your site, links to your home page should always be to the root rather than index.html (www.mydomain.com/ rather than www.mydomain.com/index.html)
  7. Your page is missing a Doctype declaration. It is a mandatory html element (the only one) and should be the very first line of code on the page. This will allow you to validate your code which can be a help to point out any issues.
Going to work on all of these suggestions today (yesterday was a busy day for me....Music concerts and Innkeeping!!)
What DOCTYPE do you think I should use? 4.01 scrict? or Traditional?
I notice your fingerlakes page uses 4.01 traditional...should I blatently copy your doctype? ;)
One thing I noticed...my Rezovation custom template uses a XHTML 1.0 Transitional doctype...should I use that them?
I'll fix those title atrributes and change the index.html links to root
To IrisoftheWayfarer: Thanks for the comments!
To Yellowsocks: Thank you as well! Don't worry, I don't think I'll add music...but I will, for sure, add a video sometime soon...I just can't showcase the rooms..because there are pesky guests inside them right now...oh wait! That's a good thing!
To everyone: I know it doesn't say so in my signature...but my name is Mike!
Choice of doctype really depends on what code you are writing. xhtml transitional is quite a bit different from 4.01 transitional. Check the documentation / options for whatever editor you are using and see what it supports. If it is a few years old it may not generate xhtml accurately or at all.
On choices between stict and transitional, you are usually better off going with transitional as it allows for more variation in code without becoming non-compliant.

Nice job on the page. Show me the food!
tounge_smile.gif

Some of us choose to remain anonymous because we vent about our guests and other things. I am happy to share my website if you email me.
regular_smile.gif

Back