Breakfast times - snooze, lose, or door number three.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense K, but if I serve someone breakfast at 4am, it had better be "their last meal"
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I like the innkeepers to tell ME when breakfsat is served and I will be there with bells on!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I like the innkeepers to tell ME when breakfsat is served and I will be there with bells on!
Well then you would like one place where I stayed.. not only did he tell us breakfast was at 8:30, he started his player piano (full blast) at 8AM for a wake up call. There was not a room in the place that did not hear that piano - most likely was heard in the homes on either side as well. DH thought it charming, I on the otherhand really would have preferred to sleep. If I had known, I would not have booked that B&B. Now I love breakfast but I was overly tired, and would have prefered having an option to eat or not.
Did you let the Innkeeper know the night b4 that you wouldn't be joining them for breakfast? If you let him know the night b4 did you feel obligated in going down becos of the player piano?
My pet peeve is people that don't come down for breakfast - I don't mind if they let me know the night b4, but don't just not show up!
suellen222 said:
My pet peeve is people that don't come down for breakfast - I don't mind if they let me know the night b4, but don't just not show up!
That's especially hard for an extended stay. We've had guests skip brekkie for 3 mornings and then show for the 4th. Totally were not expecting them. We don't always see guests during the day to ask about brekkie and I've gotten a lot of, 'We don't know if we'll be eating,' comments when I do ask.

No offense K, but if I serve someone breakfast at 4am, it had better be "their last meal"

I like the innkeepers to tell ME when breakfsat is served and I will be there with bells on!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I like the innkeepers to tell ME when breakfsat is served and I will be there with bells on!
Well then you would like one place where I stayed.. not only did he tell us breakfast was at 8:30, he started his player piano (full blast) at 8AM for a wake up call. There was not a room in the place that did not hear that piano - most likely was heard in the homes on either side as well. DH thought it charming, I on the otherhand really would have preferred to sleep. If I had known, I would not have booked that B&B. Now I love breakfast but I was overly tired, and would have prefered having an option to eat or not.
Did you let the Innkeeper know the night b4 that you wouldn't be joining them for breakfast? If you let him know the night b4 did you feel obligated in going down becos of the player piano?
No I did not tell them the night before as I really intended to eat. I had not realized just how tired I really was...and when I was awakened by that music that never quit I was not a happy camper guest. Everything else was fine, just was not overjoyed over being FORCED to get up when I was on vacation. Our second (final) day we had to get up anyway to drive back home so I could not request anything for the 2nd day....

Innkeepers knocking of guestroom doors in the morning...
Innkeepers with whole house wake up calls...
No wonder B&B's get a bad rap!.
Hangfive said:
No wonder B&B's get a bad rap!
If ye'r knockin' on me door there better be a mug o' coffee in ye hand!
cheers.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Someone else mentioned that sort of 'wake up call' elsewhere as well. The innkeepers turned on a whole house music system in the morning that couldn't be missed.
Me, I like to ease into my day. No music, no TV, no talking until I've showered. I don't even like it when Gomez turns the TV on in the hotel room while I'm getting ready.
Morticia said:
Someone else mentioned that sort of 'wake up call' elsewhere as well. The innkeepers turned on a whole house music system in the morning that couldn't be missed.
Me, I like to ease into my day. No music, no TV, no talking until I've showered. I don't even like it when Gomez turns the TV on in the hotel room while I'm getting ready.
No talking until you have showered?
whattha.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
whattha.gif

It has always worked out that we've never had to talk to each other in the morning before I've showered!

Joey Bloggs said:
suellen222 said:
That's especially hard for an extended stay. We've had guests skip brekkie for 3 mornings and then show for the 4th. Totally were not expecting them. We don't always see guests during the day to ask about brekkie and I've gotten a lot of, 'We don't know if we'll be eating,' comments when I do ask.
[/quote]
'We don't know if we'll be eating,' comments when I do ask.
[/quote]
That would bring a big "AARRGGHH" from me! Of course in my mind, not out loud! That's when I try to find a tactful way to say "Hey, if you are going to sleep in so am I! Especially if they would be the only ones there.

Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
whattha.gif

It has always worked out that we've never had to talk to each other in the morning before I've showered!
No way that could happen here in 34 years with Mr. Chatty McChatterson. :)

Joey Bloggs said:
suellen222 said:
That's why I tape the Breakfast Time Request note to their lock to the room when we freshen the rooms. I am just one person & I need to know how many I am cooking for and what time they'll be down. It's been working really well. I also try to say something about how it's important to let us know since we don't have a set breakfast time for everyone.

Joey Bloggs said:
suellen222 said:
That's why I tape the Breakfast Time Request note to their lock to the room when we freshen the rooms. I am just one person & I need to know how many I am cooking for and what time they'll be down. It's been working really well. I also try to say something about how it's important to let us know since we don't have a set breakfast time for everyone.
I always love those breakfast time requests! And I faithfully fill them out and get to breakfast at the right time when they're available.

I was traveling solo and had the innkeeper knocking on my door for the 5 pm social hour!! What the heck? What if I was napping? What if I didn't want to be "social"? What if I didn't want to spoil some special dinner plans by eating some snacks? What if I was getting ready to go meet some friends? There are a whole lot of "what ifs" there! I know innkeepers need to plan but I really didn't appreciate that! It's not like they asked, "Will you be taking advantage of our social hour?" Then I felt obligated to make an appearance and all I really wanted to do was relax before I had to drive to meet a relative for dinner. The innkeepers weren't even there. It was weird....

I was traveling solo and had the innkeeper knocking on my door for the 5 pm social hour!! What the heck? What if I was napping? What if I didn't want to be "social"? What if I didn't want to spoil some special dinner plans by eating some snacks? What if I was getting ready to go meet some friends? There are a whole lot of "what ifs" there! I know innkeepers need to plan but I really didn't appreciate that! It's not like they asked, "Will you be taking advantage of our social hour?" Then I felt obligated to make an appearance and all I really wanted to do was relax before I had to drive to meet a relative for dinner. The innkeepers weren't even there. It was weird....
I once had a flight attendant wake me on a cross-Atlantic flight to see if I wanted a drink. A drink. I wanted SLEEEEP!!!
Why on earth would an innkeeper knock on a guest room door for the social hour, of all things? Talk about lost on the concept of a getaway!

I once had a flight attendant wake me on a cross-Atlantic flight to see if I wanted a drink. A drink. I wanted SLEEEEP!!!
Why on earth would an innkeeper knock on a guest room door for the social hour, of all things? Talk about lost on the concept of a getaway!
DH was in surgery for a 6-way bypass and I fell asleep in the waiting room - had planned to go eat breakfast but realized I was too tired to drive - and someone from the Patient's Advocate Office woke me up to tell me about the Patient's Rights or some such crap that I had no interest in at that time - I NEEDED SLEEP and then could not get back to sleep! Grrrr

DH was in surgery for a 6-way bypass and I fell asleep in the waiting room - had planned to go eat breakfast but realized I was too tired to drive - and someone from the Patient's Advocate Office woke me up to tell me about the Patient's Rights or some such crap that I had no interest in at that time - I NEEDED SLEEP and then could not get back to sleep! Grrrr
What is wrong with people!!?? I guess I value sleep just way too much to understand why anyone would wake someone unless they absolutely had to...

What is wrong with people!!?? I guess I value sleep just way too much to understand why anyone would wake someone unless they absolutely had to...
Innkeeper To Go said:
I, too, value sleep. Gomez had no respect for that. My kids always knew never to wake me up unless there was blood or fire. And there had better be massive quantities of blood. Gomez would wake me up to tell me he was going out to get the paper. Leave me a note if you think I'll be awake before you get back from stepping outside to pick the paper up off the ground!
He's much better now. Believe me, there is not that much space here that I don't hear the door opening and closing when he comes and goes. No need to wake me to tell me.

Innkeeper To Go said:
I, too, value sleep. Gomez had no respect for that. My kids always knew never to wake me up unless there was blood or fire. And there had better be massive quantities of blood. Gomez would wake me up to tell me he was going out to get the paper. Leave me a note if you think I'll be awake before you get back from stepping outside to pick the paper up off the ground!
He's much better now. Believe me, there is not that much space here that I don't hear the door opening and closing when he comes and goes. No need to wake me to tell me.
At least you've got him trained on the whole not talking before you shower thing!

Innkeeper To Go said:
At least you've got him trained on the whole not talking before you shower thing!
Well, we really only see each in the early morning when we're on vacation! Otherwise, he is up at 0 dark 30 while I am burrowed deep under the covers!

My husband and I stayed at a B&B about a month ago. Breakfast was at 6:30 since we had to be at the airport. At 6:15 I was in THE BATHROOM brushing my teeth when the Innkeeper started POUNDING on the bathroom door. She was YELLING "You better hurry up or you are going to be late". Say what??
Then while we are trying to eat our microwaved breakfast she came in and said to my husband, "So, you gonna pay me in a check or cash? I've really got to be going, I have an early morning yoga class."
We did not even finish breakfast. He moved his plate aside and wrote her a check. She did offer to "bag it up" for us so we could take it with us.
I would NEVER pound on a door or yell anything through the door to one of my guests. If I miss my flight, that's my problem. I was appalled at the way we were treated. She all but pushed us out of the house at 6:30. At least have the decency to let us chew our food before asking for money.

My husband and I stayed at a B&B about a month ago. Breakfast was at 6:30 since we had to be at the airport. At 6:15 I was in THE BATHROOM brushing my teeth when the Innkeeper started POUNDING on the bathroom door. She was YELLING "You better hurry up or you are going to be late". Say what??
Then while we are trying to eat our microwaved breakfast she came in and said to my husband, "So, you gonna pay me in a check or cash? I've really got to be going, I have an early morning yoga class."
We did not even finish breakfast. He moved his plate aside and wrote her a check. She did offer to "bag it up" for us so we could take it with us.
I would NEVER pound on a door or yell anything through the door to one of my guests. If I miss my flight, that's my problem. I was appalled at the way we were treated. She all but pushed us out of the house at 6:30. At least have the decency to let us chew our food before asking for money..
You know it really is too bad we can't mention some of these places that we have been that are bad!!! I cringe when I hear stories like this one because I always think what if these people (you in this instance) were newbies and this is the way someone treated them - it would put such an awful taste in their mouth for B&B's in general and they may never try another one!

I would NEVER pound on a door or yell anything through the door to one of my guests. If I miss my flight, that's my problem. I was appalled at the way we were treated. She all but pushed us out of the house at 6:30. At least have the decency to let us chew our food before asking for money..
You know it really is too bad we can't mention some of these places that we have been that are bad!!! I cringe when I hear stories like this one because I always think what if these people (you in this instance) were newbies and this is the way someone treated them - it would put such an awful taste in their mouth for B&B's in general and they may never try another one!
Actually we are learning a lot about what we will, and what we won't, be doing in our new Inn. We will be open in two days!!

knerrsotb said:
I would NEVER pound on a door or yell anything through the door to one of my guests. If I miss my flight, that's my problem. I was appalled at the way we were treated. She all but pushed us out of the house at 6:30. At least have the decency to let us chew our food before asking for money.
Sorry to hear that, not all B&B's are great, we know this and hear this all the time. Gives us all a bad name.

Back