Breakfast times

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biekervi

Reaction score
My wife are about 2 years away from starting our B&B. We are starting the process of creating our Operating Processes. We know they will all likely change after we start, but we want to have a starting plan.
The question is: What time do we serve breakfast? For example: Allow the guests to pick a time when they arrive. Have a range of times that they can eat (7a-10:30a). Etc.
We will have plenty of space to have everyone come at one time. (They will be able to sit at 2 or 4 top tables.)
What works best for you and why?
Thank you,
Greg and Mel

That will depend on several things. #1 - how many rooms? #2 - how many people will you be serving? #3 - what will be the configuration of the dining room? One table with everyone dining together or smaller tables for 2-up; 4-up?

I have 3 rooms, maximum of 6 people, 1 common table. Since I am small (I operate solo), I allow my guests to tell me what time they want breakfast as long as it is between 6 & 10 AM. (I ask them to tell me before they turn in for the night.) And yes, I HAVE had 3 breakfast times. I have also had guests CHANGE their time to what the other guests had chosen so they could eat together (not traveling together - just wanted the conversation). I also had 2 couples for B & Bs For Vets who met here and became fast friends who visit each other and even travel together - they posted it on FB to tell me. I also serve "family style - take as much or as little as you want (avoids embarrassment for the tiny eater who does not want to insult the cook and the "I don't know if I am going to like this" can taste and
THEN whack into it).

I am "off-the-path" so I give flexibility as a thank you for choosing us without it be a "thank you". It works for me. AND if I have something scheduled (I am quite active in this small city), I do not hesitate to request that they arrive before X:XX PM (City Council meeting or band rehearsal or a parade in town so streets are closed) or after X:XX PM. (meeting ended - I hope, rehearsal or concert over). And they do it.

This is a great example. Thank you.
We expect that we’ll have 5 rooms. My wife and I are planning to run the location together.
The configuration is a bit in the air as our renovation on that floor won’t be for another year or so. At this point, we’re thinking of having one large table (6-8) as well as 2-3 smaller tables in adjoining rooms. We are also hoping to have the ability for guests to sit out on the patio. Because we are in the heat of the small town and with a water view, we think this will be used somewhat often. The only option we know we want to avoid is food in the rooms. (Just to reduce the cleaning risk as best as we can.)
We’d love to know what others do to adjust for their guests.

I made small reed baskets and I put 2 bananas, 2-4 apples, & 2 packages of snack crackers in it and place on the dresser or mantle of my rooms on arrival and each room has a bowl with Hersey's kisses on the dresser. I have a dorm-size refrigerator (it also has a freezer compartment) at the end of the hall with a microwave on top of it for guests - sometimes I have microwave popcorn on the small stand next to it as I have in the past rented the 2 rooms that share a bathroom to pipeline workers. I do NOT have coffee makers in rooms or upstairs. there is a Keurig & pods in the dining room and also a water reservoir for tea drinkers that can be accessed any time. I tell guests they are welcome to use the dining room for take-out food. I do not want it in the rooms either.

I have also in the summer, served breakfast on the front porch a few times (rather not as it is a PITA to do it - I had one fairly frequent guest who loved to have breakfast on the front porch and read - she was worth the extra work. I am in West Virginia.

Okay. The most amazing part of that whole thing was how you started…
“I made small reed baskets”
Wow! That is impressive!

Nah, making baskets is easy. Feel free to ask questions any time. My part in this industry is to help you to succeed.

When this shut down suddenly, those of us who knew who was who - really, not the anonymous name - contacted each other an one in Montreal set up another that many migrated to as they were told about it. Go here for many other opinions from various sized establishments for all over the world and with varying years in the business. General Discussion I turned my house into the B & B in 1996.

The first floor of our Inn is a restaurant, so breakfast is easy for guests and me! The restaurant is not owned by me - but we have a deal with the restaurant that all guests get breakfast and non-alcoholic drinks complimentary. The guest has a card that they submit and the restaurant turns in a report to me each month and we pay them. It is a fixed rate to me and I add that into the daily rate for the guests. We used to just do a continental breakfast for guests delivered to the rooms but found that they really want (and were willing to pay for) a full breakfast.

The first floor of our Inn is a restaurant, so breakfast is easy for guests and me! The restaurant is not owned by me - but we have a deal with the restaurant that all guests get breakfast and non-alcoholic drinks complimentary. The guest has a card that they submit and the restaurant turns in a report to me each month and we pay them. It is a fixed rate to me and I add that into the daily rate for the guests. We used to just do a continental breakfast for guests delivered to the rooms but found that they really want (and were willing to pay for) a full breakfast.
I found the same thing. When I opened in 1996, I did Continental Plus. Guests were disappointed to not get a "hot cooked" breakfast. When I switched to a hot, full breakfast I found it to be less work. easier to do, and guests liked it - no, they loved it. I try to convince innkeepers to NEVER do away with or make breakfast an add-on. Breakfast is what the guests will remember.

Back