Broken Bed!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i am alone here with three young couples.
i have hardly seen them all day. they don't know one another.
just had a very embarrassed conversation with one guy ... he knocked on the door and said they broke the bed.
'broke the bed?' i say .... well, i'm not terribly handy but i go up to see. and the woman is hiding out in the bathroom. the guy shows me the mattress and box spring on the floor. headboard is against the wall. i am thinking in my head, do i move them to another room? they really like their room and they check out tomorrow.
happily, it's just an old fashioned wood bed with the boards that go across the frame under the box spring. it was my bed. i needed help putting it together and i am sure that i cannot put it together securely without some help.
soooo ... he says they will be fine with the mattress on the floor. i tell him it is okay, not to worry. if he is sure they want to sleep that way. he is blushing crimson and nothing is actually broken. we move the sides over to lean against a wall and i get out of there. as i head down the stairs i hear her giggling ..........
it's still early .... where is that thread about things that go BOOM in the night? actually, i didn't hear a thing!

On our "shake-down" visit, three ladies came and I told them their rate for the stay was an honest (which I could trust them to give) critique. The first morning, the lady from the queen bed room comes down and says, "I think I broke your bed." She is a "bit?" heavy and the chair in her room had arms (not wide enough) so she had ooonched up onto the mattress to put on her shoes which pushed the box spring and spread the sides and allowed the slats to fall, bringing the box spring and mattress with it!
We spent the day site-seeing north of here (one of the ladies and me while the other 2 played 36 holes of golf - Queenie's goal is to golf in every State and this was the WV round) while DH went out and bought toggle bolts and piano wire and fixed that bed so it would never happen again.
7 years later, she sits on the bench at the foot of the bed- not in the middle, on the end - and the bench does a flipper, she goes into the post at the foot of the bed and the footboard now shows about a 1/4 in of bare wood - but it held!!
It also held with the couple that if they weighed in at less than 750 combined weight I am Twiggy.

On our "shake-down" visit, three ladies came and I told them their rate for the stay was an honest (which I could trust them to give) critique. The first morning, the lady from the queen bed room comes down and says, "I think I broke your bed." She is a "bit?" heavy and the chair in her room had arms (not wide enough) so she had ooonched up onto the mattress to put on her shoes which pushed the box spring and spread the sides and allowed the slats to fall, bringing the box spring and mattress with it!
We spent the day site-seeing north of here (one of the ladies and me while the other 2 played 36 holes of golf - Queenie's goal is to golf in every State and this was the WV round) while DH went out and bought toggle bolts and piano wire and fixed that bed so it would never happen again.
7 years later, she sits on the bench at the foot of the bed- not in the middle, on the end - and the bench does a flipper, she goes into the post at the foot of the bed and the footboard now shows about a 1/4 in of bare wood - but it held!!
It also held with the couple that if they weighed in at less than 750 combined weight I am Twiggy..
toggle bolts and piano wire!
i spoke to my son who is en route and he asked how everything is holding up. ahaha 'holding up' so, i casually mentioned the bed.
after a tad bit of
angry_smile.gif
#%! he said he would reassemble it with some big long screws he has ... decking screws i think? lag bolts? something like that.
they are sipping wine they brought with them down to the library in front of the fire and are quite content. i bet they will remember THIS place!

It also held with the couple that if they weighed in at less than 750 combined weight I am Twiggy..
i spoke to my son who is en route and he asked how everything is holding up. ahaha 'holding up' so, i casually mentioned the bed.
after a tad bit of
angry_smile.gif
#%! he said he would reassemble it with some big long screws he has ... decking screws i think? lag bolts? something like that.
they are sipping wine they brought with them down to the library in front of the fire and are quite content. i bet they will remember THIS place!
YES!! Lag bolts!! I misspoke.

after a tad bit of
angry_smile.gif
my son reassambled the bed - drilled new holes and fittings or something to secure the slats in place ... although, when i go, i told him i am taking 'my' bed with me ... so he had to keep that in mind when repairing it.
i remade the bed and it 'seems' secure ... i sure hope so.
the guests seem happy

after a tad bit of
angry_smile.gif
my son reassambled the bed - drilled new holes and fittings or something to secure the slats in place ... although, when i go, i told him i am taking 'my' bed with me ... so he had to keep that in mind when repairing it.
the guests seem happy
YAY!! Another crisis averted! Good job!

after a tad bit of
angry_smile.gif
the guests seem happy
seashanty said:
the guests seem happy
I have to do that with my own bed. If I shove the boxspring around making the bed, kapow! it's on the floor.

Back