Browning Bath/Shower Mats

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

Suzie Q

Reaction score
Hi!
I purchased a couple shower mats, that fit inside the shower. They are clear rubberized and have a pebble effect, with holes here and there. I have found them turning brown, despite washing them on occasion, in the washing machine.
Has anyone had luck getting them to look "crystal clear," again?
Thanks!

seashanty

Reaction score
is this from rust in the pipes? i have that problem in a white sink ... the sink gets discolored from chemicals in the water i'm told.
i like baking soda for these kinds of stains and i put those mats right in the laundry. and i agree, i hang dry.

Samster

Reaction score
I wash mine in the washer with the guest towels (with a oxiclean) and then hang them to dry. They always dry clear again.
ETA: If a guest uses one, they get a fresh one when we freshen the room. Maybe that's why they've stayed clear. Also, we are on City water.

scrambled_eggs

Reaction score
Did you try bleach? I have a room with a kitchen sink and the sink mat is white but always turns brown from use. I fill the sink half way and add bleach and its gone and white as can be.

seashanty

Reaction score
for the sink i alternate ... usually baking soda paste, sometimes orange cleaner, sometimes i use the dishwasher detergent, once in a great while a little bleach in standing water. whatever i use, it has to sit there a while to work.

marthacollins

Reaction score
I'm using vinegar (white vinegar), citric acid, oxalic or bleaching liquid
cheers.gif