Bunny Cake using regular pans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I have custody of my late mom's cookbooks ... scanning all the recipes and notes and clippings to make into a family cookbook of the favorites.
And I came across this old clipping of how mom used to make a bunny cake. It was from Parade Magazine, I can't find the date on it.
Make two 9 inch round layer cakes
One cake stays round. The other is cut as shown in the picture. You cut two ovals, one from each side of the second cake, leaving the bow tie shape in the center. Mom's note says that #3 (that's the little bow tie shape left when you cut off the two ovals from the side) is 1 1/2 inches at the narrow part.
bunnycake.JPG

Isn't that cute? We used to frost it with white frosting and then sprinkle with shredded coconut ... the pink in the ears is just some shredded coconut tinted with a little water mixed with red food coloring. Jelly beans are perfect for the eyes, nose and polka dots on the tie. Gum drops work well, too. Red string licorice for the whiskers and mouth.
I remember once we used a gift box and lined it with foil as his plate, took it to the school bake sale and he was auctioned off. I cried when the lady who won took him away because I thought we would be taking him back home, so the next day Mom and I made another one.
regular_smile.gif

Remember this well :) I too have some really old 50's cookbooks with lots of use on them and many memories:)

Aw, how sweet! It sounds like you had a good Mom! I always had intentions of making things likese these with my girls when they were little but then life got in the way and now they are grown and basically out on their own, my the time does fly.....

Aw, how sweet! It sounds like you had a good Mom! I always had intentions of making things likese these with my girls when they were little but then life got in the way and now they are grown and basically out on their own, my the time does fly......
That's what grandkids are for.

Back