Business card card stock weight?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
You would think this wouldn't be rocket science. I'm trying to print up some business cards and I've been offered 4 different weights for the card stock. The examples show stacks of business cards. But, without a starting point (hey, this one will dissolve in your hand vs you can build a house with this one) I have no idea what weight to choose.
And, I can't seem to find anything 'reasonably priced' that allows me to select the color card stock I want. Besides vista, what other companies have you dealt with?

ive dealt with www.moo.com but wasn't keen as couldn't put on everything I wanted - stock was nice and thick and I liked the shape options but found them expensive for what they were.

paper direct (have been around a long time) 65 lb plain microperf to print up as needed and can be changed easily if info changes. I like the almond

ive dealt with www.moo.com but wasn't keen as couldn't put on everything I wanted - stock was nice and thick and I liked the shape options but found them expensive for what they were..
I'm just coming to end of 500 I bought from vist aprint about 3 years ago. I think I paid about £10. I just used one of their custmizable designs, but I was pretty pleased with them.
It's not like we give them to potential customers, it's just our contact details for people as they walk out the door.

ive dealt with www.moo.com but wasn't keen as couldn't put on everything I wanted - stock was nice and thick and I liked the shape options but found them expensive for what they were..
I tried moo first and yes, expensive! Something like $125 for 200. I might just call my printer and have him mess with the file I got from the logo designer (that doesn't work with vistaprint for some reason but works just fine on jukebox).

I switched from Vista to gotprint dot net a could of years ago. I like them better in every way. In general, their prices are lower, the quality is equal or higher, and they get the stuff here faster. I love their JPG templates that assure you're getting everything sized right and at the right resolution. Also, on rack cards (and maybe other stuff) they offer the glossy finish on the back at no extra cost. Best I recall, Vista's default is no glossy finish on the back.

I switched from Vista to gotprint dot net a could of years ago. I like them better in every way. In general, their prices are lower, the quality is equal or higher, and they get the stuff here faster. I love their JPG templates that assure you're getting everything sized right and at the right resolution. Also, on rack cards (and maybe other stuff) they offer the glossy finish on the back at no extra cost. Best I recall, Vista's default is no glossy finish on the back..
I use Got Print for EVERYTHING....except I do use our local specialized printer for very special brochure items that Got Print cannot do. I have never been disappointed with Got Print. Last batch of 1000 business cards cost about $30 and that included shipping!

Here is a really good comparison of the major sites, the pros/cons including those mentioned so far...
http://www.werockyourweb.com/moo-vs-vistaprint-vs-zazzle/#gotprint

I switched from Vista to gotprint dot net a could of years ago. I like them better in every way. In general, their prices are lower, the quality is equal or higher, and they get the stuff here faster. I love their JPG templates that assure you're getting everything sized right and at the right resolution. Also, on rack cards (and maybe other stuff) they offer the glossy finish on the back at no extra cost. Best I recall, Vista's default is no glossy finish on the back..
I use Got Print for EVERYTHING....except I do use our local specialized printer for very special brochure items that Got Print cannot do. I have never been disappointed with Got Print. Last batch of 1000 business cards cost about $30 and that included shipping!
EmptyNest said:
Do you know how to set the color of the biz card? All I seem to be able to do is create a box the size of the business card and colorize that. Is there a way to set the background color without drawing a box?

Morticia, what program are you using? I use the word template,
the avery template
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Templates/Cards/Business-Cards/Business-Card-_-Wide-10-per-sheet_Microsoft-Word.htm
or I looked on that got print site and found this http://gotprint.net/gotprint/showStaticPage.do?page=download_templates-bc.html
If you're using word or publisher, you can add a watermark or background color.

Morticia, what program are you using? I use the word template,
the avery template
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Templates/Cards/Business-Cards/Business-Card-_-Wide-10-per-sheet_Microsoft-Word.htm
or I looked on that got print site and found this http://gotprint.net/gotprint/showStaticPage.do?page=download_templates-bc.html
If you're using word or publisher, you can add a watermark or background color..
I'm using the software right on the website. Anytime I download a template it doesn't work.

EmptyNest said:
Do you know how to set the color of the biz card? All I seem to be able to do is create a box the size of the business card and colorize that. Is there a way to set the background color without drawing a box?
I create my own from scratch and upload. I don't really like to use their templates. Sorry. Do you want me to do something for you? Send me what you want and I will be happy to help you.
I have all their templates and I just created several business cards, so I can do whatever you like and send you the file.

Thanks for posting this. I just did an order last night. Saved significantly from what VP wanted to just reorder my postcards.

what template are you using Ms. Emptynest?.
I use the standard business card template psd file from Got Print. I create my own using Paint SHop Pro and upload the final product to their website. This way client gets exactly what they want. For do it yourselfers...you are limited.

Note: gotprint.net is migrating to their new website at gotprint.com
Looks like they finally got their domain back. Due to credit card and e-mail mixups, I've lost domains before and it's no fun, having somebody snap them up for a few dollars then offer to sell them back to you for several thousand dollars!

Morticia said:
You would think this wouldn't be rocket science. I'm trying to print up some business cards and I've been offered 4 different weights for the card stock. The examples show stacks of business cards. But, without a starting point (hey, this one will dissolve in your hand vs you can build a house with this one) I have no idea what weight to choose.
And, I can't seem to find anything 'reasonably priced' that allows me to select the color card stock I want. Besides vista, what other companies have you dealt with?
We get 450gsm premium silk, double side, matt laminated. They're a very sturdy card, about twice that of a playing card.

Looks like they finally got their domain back. Due to credit card and e-mail mixups, I've lost domains before and it's no fun, having somebody snap them up for a few dollars then offer to sell them back to you for several thousand dollars!.
Arks said:
Looks like they finally got their domain back. Due to credit card and e-mail mixups, I've lost domains before and it's no fun, having somebody snap them up for a few dollars then offer to sell them back to you for several thousand dollars!
Not being political...just relaying an incident:
Jeb didn't pay his domain renewal. Then someone else did and offered it for $250,000.00. Well, when you go to that url, it now takes you to Trumps official site.
Brilliant! (again, not a political statement, but a biz one)

Latest posts

Back