Business goals for 2017

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the rub: How do you cut costs without negatively impacting guest experience.
My plan is to go through my 2016 ledger, start with the biggest items first, and say "how can I reduce this line item?"
Some of them, like a mortgage payment, you can't do (although I'm investigating refinancing before the coming political chaos drives up interest rates), but other things can be pruned back.
An annual evaluation of your advertising ROI is always helpful and can save money. Reviewing policies that cost utility dollars (adjusting programmable thermostats down 1 degree throughout the property, not lighting unused areas, etc) also helps.
One of my hobbies is backpacking, and an important rule for reducing pack weight is "just worry about reducing ounces, and the pounds will take care of themselves." If we reduce every line item a measly 1%, then we've increased our profit margin a percent..
A good place to spend some time is on amenities - you can get reduced rates on internet, TV signal, bath products, paper goods.
We've changed almost every lightbulb. The coffee machine is on a timer so it doesn't heat all day. The parking lot light it's on a timer. We no longer warm or cool rooms for check in. In winter, rooms are about 55 degrees on check in; summer, more like 75. The new furnace does not run continuously as the old one did.
We don't limit heating and cooling so some guests go nuts, but that's why we clean everyday.
Morticia said:
In winter, rooms are about 55 degrees on check in...
I've always wanted to say in one of those ice hotels ;-)
icehotel-365-jukkasjarvi-arctic-circle-sweden-designboom-01.jpg

That's the rub: How do you cut costs without negatively impacting guest experience.
My plan is to go through my 2016 ledger, start with the biggest items first, and say "how can I reduce this line item?"
Some of them, like a mortgage payment, you can't do (although I'm investigating refinancing before the coming political chaos drives up interest rates), but other things can be pruned back.
An annual evaluation of your advertising ROI is always helpful and can save money. Reviewing policies that cost utility dollars (adjusting programmable thermostats down 1 degree throughout the property, not lighting unused areas, etc) also helps.
One of my hobbies is backpacking, and an important rule for reducing pack weight is "just worry about reducing ounces, and the pounds will take care of themselves." If we reduce every line item a measly 1%, then we've increased our profit margin a percent..
We do it this way. If we need sugar for baking, we buy store brand. But buy the Quaker Oats individual packs for guests to make oatmeal if they want. When toilet paper goes on sale in the winter, we stock up for the busy summer season when its expensive. (I just smile sweetly at the strange looks I get, when I push a cart overflowing with toilet paper through the store.)
We do what we can so we have learned lots of new skills. An innkeeper from here gave us some good advice when that person visited us, "Hire out what you don't like to do." So we now have a crew that does our lawn, etc. It used to take us two to four hours to get it done, lots of times doing it a little here and there all week. So now it frees us to do other things in those hours that we couldn't do before that makes the guests feel more special instead of pushing a lawnmower back and forth. They are here and gone before we know it and we don't have to worry about it at all. It also makes us happier innkeepers (Thank you, friend!)
Not just that but you are sweaty, grumpy and dirty - I can't greet guests like that, dad keep raggin me about washing my car - this is why it doesn't get done
(1) time
(2) time with no guests to catch me wet and mucky
(3) get car in car park
(4) decent weather to be outside
Therefore never happens and I go to the car wash
If I open my mouth fast enough when my cousin and her boyfriend are washing and vacuuming out their cars here at the inn, I can get mine done as well. Or I go to the car wash down the street from a store that I shop at.
My daily drivers get washed by the rain, daughter washed the Packard last summer of course it's dusty again now.

A good place to spend some time is on amenities - you can get reduced rates on internet, TV signal, bath products, paper goods.
We've changed almost every lightbulb. The coffee machine is on a timer so it doesn't heat all day. The parking lot light it's on a timer. We no longer warm or cool rooms for check in. In winter, rooms are about 55 degrees on check in; summer, more like 75. The new furnace does not run continuously as the old one did.
We don't limit heating and cooling so some guests go nuts, but that's why we clean everyday.
Morticia said:

Tee tee hee.

My goal this year: Figuring out how to prune our expense side so we can post more profits.
We're growing the top line year on year, but not seeing enough flow to the bottom. Yes, we're putting most of it back into the business, but at some point we need to at least look like we're making money!
wink_smile.gif
What sorts of savings ideas do you have? Everytime we get closer to saving, something big breaks.
One plan we have this year is a recirculation pump to keep warm water moving thru the pipes to cut down on how much water gets wasted waiting for hot water to get to our kitchen and bathroom. The water bill should drop. Which means the sewer bill goes down.
We have recirculating hot water, saves a lot of water and solves guest problem of wondering which way to turn for warm! We also drive the recirc with a Heat Pump Hot Water Heater, saves a lot of electricity $$, although the fan went out 2 weeks a go so it is running straight electric resistance at the moment. Just got replacement part. Getting tired of maintenance (remember we had sewer back up just recently). Did finish installing a 11 kw LPG backup generator. Probably going to be using it tonight when snow turns to ice.

My goal this year: Figuring out how to prune our expense side so we can post more profits.
We're growing the top line year on year, but not seeing enough flow to the bottom. Yes, we're putting most of it back into the business, but at some point we need to at least look like we're making money!
wink_smile.gif
What sorts of savings ideas do you have? Everytime we get closer to saving, something big breaks.
One plan we have this year is a recirculation pump to keep warm water moving thru the pipes to cut down on how much water gets wasted waiting for hot water to get to our kitchen and bathroom. The water bill should drop. Which means the sewer bill goes down.
We have recirculating hot water, saves a lot of water and solves guest problem of wondering which way to turn for warm! We also drive the recirc with a Heat Pump Hot Water Heater, saves a lot of electricity $$, although the fan went out 2 weeks a go so it is running straight electric resistance at the moment. Just got replacement part. Getting tired of maintenance (remember we had sewer back up just recently). Did finish installing a 11 kw LPG backup generator. Probably going to be using it tonight when snow turns to ice.
It seems to be working very well. Gomez has hot water immediately in the morning. I have to change up my routine - I used to turn the water on then go back and make the bed waiting for it to warm up.
We have it on a timer so it runs every 15 minutes from 5-9 am and then again around 4-6 pm.
It's not going to help the guests as much because the guest rooms are right above the furnaces, our space is about 60 feet away. In the winter the water is running mostly thru unheated rooms to get over here.

wink_smile.gif
PhineasSwann said:
wink_smile.gif
I was upstairs on my final flip of the rooms and saw all the things that we needed for guests that they really didn't notice nor appreciate, but cost us $. I wish now I let some of those things go. This forum can be a detriment, be careful when we all have great ideas and think it doesn't cost much. Maybe we need a permanent cost savings thread here.
A penny saved is a penny earned.
I think this is really true. We're now six years in and while it's hard not to want to keep adding things we've started to ask is it really going to change reservations? If it's sold all summer as is - is adding a private gazebo for the larger cottage going to make any difference. I guess it does if we raise prices but I always find that hard to do... Six years in I need to get over that I guess.

wink_smile.gif
PhineasSwann said:
wink_smile.gif
I was upstairs on my final flip of the rooms and saw all the things that we needed for guests that they really didn't notice nor appreciate, but cost us $. I wish now I let some of those things go. This forum can be a detriment, be careful when we all have great ideas and think it doesn't cost much. Maybe we need a permanent cost savings thread here.
I think this is really true. We're now six years in and while it's hard not to want to keep adding things we've started to ask is it really going to change reservations? If it's sold all summer as is - is adding a private gazebo for the larger cottage going to make any difference. I guess it does if we raise prices but I always find that hard to do... Six years in I need to get over that I guess.
innovermyhead said:
I guess it does if we raise prices but I always find that hard to do... Six years in I need to get over that I guess.
If you are completely full in peak season and are getting minimal push back on your present rates, you can increase prices. Even if you start small with $10 it adds up.

wink_smile.gif
PhineasSwann said:
wink_smile.gif
I look at it that someone is always improving or a new place is opening that offers something I don't, sure we have to make a living as we go along, but I figure it is better to stay ahead of the curve than to try and catch up later, we want plan for the long term and continue to be a place guests enjoy as time passes, for me I'll always be planning something new. What's the bicycle story, you keep peddling or you fall off? Our changes over the years I think brought both more business and a nice group of guests, made life easier.

wink_smile.gif
PhineasSwann said:
wink_smile.gif
I know its weird to think but its also for when you sell - is the property kept up to date and all facilities and maintenance all set? makes a big difference to a buyer.

Morticia said:
We no longer warm or cool rooms for check in. In winter, rooms are about 55 degrees on check in; summer, more like 75.
/quote]
and no one freaks out about this? I can't imagine right now leading someone into a 55 degree room? Do you stage the room by turning on lights ahead of time? We put 3 beautiful color-coordinating realistic Duraflame electric fireplaces in the 3 rooms that don't have gas fireplaces. Therefore, we can keep the overall house heat at around 68 during the day, 65 at night when guests are here. Q*V*C #V34225, Hmmm, looks like most of the colors are now gone.

Morticia said:
We no longer warm or cool rooms for check in. In winter, rooms are about 55 degrees on check in; summer, more like 75.
/quote]
and no one freaks out about this? I can't imagine right now leading someone into a 55 degree room? Do you stage the room by turning on lights ahead of time? We put 3 beautiful color-coordinating realistic Duraflame electric fireplaces in the 3 rooms that don't have gas fireplaces. Therefore, we can keep the overall house heat at around 68 during the day, 65 at night when guests are here. Q*V*C #V34225, Hmmm, looks like most of the colors are now gone.
Due to our room arrangement I have to keep every other room heated to a minimum lever so pipes don't freeze, but fortunately it doesn't take rooms long to warm up or cool off. Now me as an individual I'd prefer the room cold and let me warm it as desired as I don't like hot.

Morticia said:
/quote]
I turn the heat (electric baseboard) on in the guestrooms a couple hours before check-in. I keep the heat on minimal or a bit more when temps go to freezing or below (one bathroom is over my bed) in the 2 upstairs bathrooms so there are no frozen waterlines (all of which are on outside walls - WHAT were they thinking?) and I keep upstairs doors closed to keep the cold in them and not drifting down to where we live.
Gotta love those 12 foot ceilings where all the heat goes while us mere mortals of average height shiver.

Morticia said:
/quote]
No staging. I turn on lights as I show them the room. Because everyone is coming in from outside, where it's 30 degrees cooler, the room feels warm. Then they are going to lug two big suitcases up two flights of stairs. They're plenty warm at that point.
We turn the common room heat down to 60 at night. Gomez turns it up again at 6am. If anyone is sitting around at night we ask them to turn it down when they go to bed.
We used to turn all the heat up around 2pm. And we heated rooms for 6 hours for no reason. We tell guests to adjust the thermostat to where they are comfortable. I'd say 20% of them, without even looking, walk over and give it a big twist to 80. And there it sits until I turn it down while cleaning.
But no, no complaining.

Morticia said:
/quote]
I turn the heat (electric baseboard) on in the guestrooms a couple hours before check-in. I keep the heat on minimal or a bit more when temps go to freezing or below (one bathroom is over my bed) in the 2 upstairs bathrooms so there are no frozen waterlines (all of which are on outside walls - WHAT were they thinking?) and I keep upstairs doors closed to keep the cold in them and not drifting down to where we live.
Gotta love those 12 foot ceilings where all the heat goes while us mere mortals of average height shiver.
Consider yourself lucky. This 1889 5000 sqft house has an open floor plan and staircase over 30 feet high! Plus only one zone thermostat in the dining room nearby the staircase. Thank goodness oil prices have finally dropped. When no guests, we used to live with the temp set at 52 degrees, which meant by the time one reached the third floor where we live, 'twas in the 40s. Space heater, Three layers, and electric blankets. The entire house's windows would frost like the Ice House in Dr. Zhivago.

wink_smile.gif
PhineasSwann said:
wink_smile.gif
I look at it that someone is always improving or a new place is opening that offers something I don't, sure we have to make a living as we go along, but I figure it is better to stay ahead of the curve than to try and catch up later, we want plan for the long term and continue to be a place guests enjoy as time passes, for me I'll always be planning something new. What's the bicycle story, you keep peddling or you fall off? Our changes over the years I think brought both more business and a nice group of guests, made life easier.
I do totally agree with this. The more pleasant we make it here keeps guests coming back year to year and it's just nicer when we make an improvement. But it does sometimes feel like we need to pay attention to the business part of the bottom line too. I guess it's learning to keep a balance.

Morticia said:
/quote]
Consider yourself lucky. This 1889 5000 sqft house has an open floor plan and staircase over 30 feet high! Plus only one zone thermostat in the dining room nearby the staircase. Thank goodness oil prices have finally dropped. When no guests, we used to live with the temp set at 52 degrees, which meant by the time one reached the third floor where we live, 'twas in the 40s. Space heater, Three layers, and electric blankets. The entire house's windows would frost like the Ice House in Dr. Zhivago.
1887 here. 5000 sq ft. One thermostat for common areas. Every room has their own. 2 on our side. We signed up for the gas line when they ran it past the house a few years ago. Gas prices went up immediately. ;-)
I'm not one for suffering in the winter. My side of the house is 68 all day. We have 2 banks of south facing windows that help enormously. Temp in the dining room gets to 80 at this time of year.

Morticia said:

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Mrs. Phineas and I are going on a fact-finding trip to the Quebec Ice Hotel next month. We've been making ice blocks to try and build and outdoor sitting area under our pavillion but clearly need to learn a more effective way to build all this cool (no pun intended) stuff.

Morticia said:

Arks said:
Morticia said:
Mrs. Phineas and I are going on a fact-finding trip to the Quebec Ice Hotel next month. We've been making ice blocks to try and build and outdoor sitting area under our pavillion but clearly need to learn a more effective way to build all this cool (no pun intended) stuff.
What fun!

Morticia said:
/quote]
Got you this time!
wink_smile.gif
1860s, 30 foot at least staircase, 14 foot on the first floor, 12 ft on second, and I think by the time you hit the fourth floor, its down to 8ft. Don't know the sq ft. We have three zones and a bunch of "fire breathing monsters" that groan which heat the house when they are behaving. One broke down on Saturday. Hopefully the plumber guy can fix it tomorrow. Big day since the fire alarm crew is going to be here to blow all our whistles, horns, flashing lights, and bells, inside and out! Maybe some shopping will need to be done.
shades_smile.gif

Back