Buy Local campaign

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I saw another buy local newsletter and clicked on it (in a nearby city) and what do you know a hallmark store where everything is made in china. I had to pause. I had to think. Is this what buying local means? I know it is a family owned business, but everything in the blinkin' store is made in china..
I spent more than I usually would on a friend to buy something i thought she would like and wear - BUT I paid wht I did because I know it was made by one of the shop owners - one of the Shab by Ch ic Sis Ters. Local and handmade.

So I saw another buy local newsletter and clicked on it (in a nearby city) and what do you know a hallmark store where everything is made in china. I had to pause. I had to think. Is this what buying local means? I know it is a family owned business, but everything in the blinkin' store is made in china..
I spent more than I usually would on a friend to buy something i thought she would like and wear - BUT I paid wht I did because I know it was made by one of the shop owners - one of the Shab by Ch ic Sis Ters. Local and handmade.
gillumhouse said:
I will use the blog to feature locally handmade items, made in the USA.
I hope everyone here considers doing the same. If you cannot think of something to blog about, feature a local shop or artisan (we have done this on the innteractiveinns blog).
I just blogged about a CD that is actually quite remarkable, anyone who buys it is in for a real treat! (and there are dozens of local musicians that are well known around here, but this is something special - Appalachian style).

If every American spent only $64 a year on buying something "made in America" then that would create 200,000 jobs.
(I am in no means trying to start political discussions here, I know it sounds that I am, not trying to). I get the buy local, shop local theme vs buy American - I have written an article about giving the gift of the great outdoors via a gift certificate for a Virginia State Park. No more tchotchkes. Unfortunaltely we are addicted to the happy meal toys...as a nation. We learn early on to want them.
On a side note, I have shared this before. Our local McDonalds is yes, a chain, but gives so much back to our community. He buys all the beef locally, and only USA made products, like potatoes, etc. The highest grossing mcdee's in 3 states, and in this little town, Meanwhile right next door is Bur g er k ing with no one in the drive thru, ever. I can go on and on with the accolades of this couple who owns the mcdees, but you get the idea. Best service around. Quality. It is all about quality!
So yes, we need to do what we feel is right, if we know about it we can put our buck to the best use!
wink_smile.gif

Speaking of Mcdonalds:
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]McDonald's and LivingSocial Team Up - Restaurant News - QSR magazine [/COLOR]http://bit.ly/ryUxbH

If every American spent only $64 a year on buying something "made in America" then that would create 200,000 jobs.
(I am in no means trying to start political discussions here, I know it sounds that I am, not trying to). I get the buy local, shop local theme vs buy American - I have written an article about giving the gift of the great outdoors via a gift certificate for a Virginia State Park. No more tchotchkes. Unfortunaltely we are addicted to the happy meal toys...as a nation. We learn early on to want them.
On a side note, I have shared this before. Our local McDonalds is yes, a chain, but gives so much back to our community. He buys all the beef locally, and only USA made products, like potatoes, etc. The highest grossing mcdee's in 3 states, and in this little town, Meanwhile right next door is Bur g er k ing with no one in the drive thru, ever. I can go on and on with the accolades of this couple who owns the mcdees, but you get the idea. Best service around. Quality. It is all about quality!
So yes, we need to do what we feel is right, if we know about it we can put our buck to the best use!
wink_smile.gif

Speaking of Mcdonalds:
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]McDonald's and LivingSocial Team Up - Restaurant News - QSR magazine [/COLOR]http://bit.ly/ryUxbH.
So I just got back from a dept. store here. I bought a holiday top. The ONLY one in the whole store I could find that was made in the USA! It was not my favorite, but I am trying to not buy things made outside the US unless I have absolutely no other choice.

gillumhouse said:
I will use the blog to feature locally handmade items, made in the USA.
I hope everyone here considers doing the same. If you cannot think of something to blog about, feature a local shop or artisan (we have done this on the innteractiveinns blog).
I just blogged about a CD that is actually quite remarkable, anyone who buys it is in for a real treat! (and there are dozens of local musicians that are well known around here, but this is something special - Appalachian style).
Ihave been brow-beating the Sisters to get a web site so I can link to them. I have used my blog to blog about several of the shops in town. I will take a photo of the vest I bought and I got the CD from New Hampshire yesterday so I can include it as another possibility for those who like their dollars to also go to charities. Will do a photo of the cover and try to find the link again. shame on me for my quick clean out the inbox lately.

Back