Cable TV a must have?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we bought we had a switchboard and phones in the rooms but the maintenance was about $1000 a year and we made about $80 so we pulled it all out. Plus it was a complete faf to put the charges onto the bill we were always forgetting so made even less. In about 5 years we have had about 3 old ladies need to use the phone so we just charge about $1.00 for it and now and again have incomming calls for people. The funniest one was we had a guest staying for a week from Egypt called Mrs Yasmin and her husband rang every day to ask things like how to work the washing machine and what to feed the kids. But mainly people have cell phones it is a complete rarity.

I did not even think of phones. I am guessing that we could offer a phone for use if it were needed. Our customers will be 99% with cell phones so that should not be an issue unless they forget their charger etc. We will have very few international customers so we could just offer them Skype for that need..
I wouldn't bother with room phones. I only had a couple of guests that needed a phone & they were International guests who had incoming calls. (Their mobile phones weren't International.) We had portable phones in central locations in each house that they could use to receive calls or other guests could use for outgoing local or U.S. long distance at no charge. Then, there were the folks that used our free WiFi to use Skype.
The vast majority of people have mobile phones now.

Thanks for all the great info. i think we need to do the cable as long as we are able. Not premium channels but basic cable so they have some options..
If you have DVD players...also a good idea to know where the local Red Box or similar is. You can get a DVD through Red Box for a $1/day. We have done that when traveling.

Thanks for all the great info. i think we need to do the cable as long as we are able. Not premium channels but basic cable so they have some options..
I have yet to look into it in detail, but our cable company has a "hospitality package" designed for all sizes of accommodations. Once you get the cable into the room, you can supply cable TV, high speed Internet, and telephone service with FREE long distance (within the USA).
If they can set it up so it's impossible to make international calls on it, it would really be nice to be able to put a phone in each room without worrying about long distance costs. Since they're calling it a package designed for the hospitality industry, I'm wondering if it will even allow room-to-room calls. Probably not, but I'll be checking into it when the time comes.
I do not think phones are nescessary any more. I just read an article that stated that some hotels have eliminated them OR are charging for each use - like they did years ago.
We have phones in our rooms but rarely (very, very rarely) get used to make calls to anyone but to us. If we were new, I would not have included them in my building plan.
I agree, though I'll admit when our extended family travels and we take 3 different rooms at a hotel, it's awfully nice to be able to ring the other rooms rather than getting dressed and going down the hall to ask when they want to go eat dinner.
Somehow, it would feel strange to call them on the cell phone (plus some in the family don't even have one).
I think one phone in the place is plenty for guest use, as long as it's set up so it can only be used for free calls.

i stayed in a place that had tv's with vcrs or dvd players and a selection of all kinds of movies to watch. that was nice. the tv's got i think one local channel so you could check the weather ..

If you have DVD players...also a good idea to know where the local Red Box or similar is. You can get a DVD through Red Box for a $1/day. We have done that when traveling.
Our guests have a stack of them in their room!

I did not even think of phones. I am guessing that we could offer a phone for use if it were needed. Our customers will be 99% with cell phones so that should not be an issue unless they forget their charger etc. We will have very few international customers so we could just offer them Skype for that need..
I wouldn't bother with room phones. I only had a couple of guests that needed a phone & they were International guests who had incoming calls. (Their mobile phones weren't International.) We had portable phones in central locations in each house that they could use to receive calls or other guests could use for outgoing local or U.S. long distance at no charge. Then, there were the folks that used our free WiFi to use Skype.
Samster said:
And they use them to call the innkeeper from their room!
The number of guests who have been at breakfast and had the other half call them from the room on their cellphone boggles the mind. Better they do that than call me and ask me to put so and so on the line!

i stayed in a place that had tv's with vcrs or dvd players and a selection of all kinds of movies to watch. that was nice. the tv's got i think one local channel so you could check the weather ...
seashanty said:
i stayed in a place that had tv's with vcrs or dvd players and a selection of all kinds of movies to watch. that was nice. the tv's got i think one local channel so you could check the weather ..
A vareity I think is a must. We're family friendly, so we have a selection of "kiddie" movies. It's interesting to me how many adults choose a kiddie movie to watch along side their western/war/action/adventure flick. Reminded me not to make assumptions about what people find entertaining.

When we built our cottages, we pre-wired RG6 cable to a box in the room that is presently covered by a blank cover. We have no plans of putting TVs in the rooms, but in case we ever do, the cable is there.
We actually market the fact that we don't have TVs by suggesting that this is a romantic getaway and a place to reconnect etc. etc. Most people get it and we've never had any complaints.

I opened 5 years ago and did not put phones in the rooms (though I think the previoius owners did). I have a central phone for guests to use and many travelers have a cell phone these days. I had cable because I thought most people wanted cable when they traveled. I had problems with the cable company, my 1 year old turned 3 and if I was busy working watched cartoon network all day. No more cable. I now have converter boxes. Most of my guests travel with a laptop, many of them say if there is something they want to watch they can watch it online. Our TV's also have DVD players and we have a video library. I would say in 2010 the MOST important thing to have is wireless internet. If you have that, you are covered. In the 3 years since I have stopped the cable I may have had 2 guests who wanted more channels, but I don't think they would have wanted to pay the monthly fee for it themselves.

When we built our cottages, we pre-wired RG6 cable to a box in the room that is presently covered by a blank cover. We have no plans of putting TVs in the rooms, but in case we ever do, the cable is there.
We actually market the fact that we don't have TVs by suggesting that this is a romantic getaway and a place to reconnect etc. etc. Most people get it and we've never had any complaints..
Proud Texan said:
We actually market the fact that we don't have TVs by suggesting that this is a romantic getaway and a place to reconnect etc. etc. Most people get it and we've never had any complaints.
If you market it as a romantic getaway with no distractions such as TV then you should not get complaints. They know what to expect before they arrive!
For those marketing more broadly or that have more diverse guest makeup, having TV's at least in some rooms is needed to grasp the overall need or desires of potential guests. And what's that saying, oh yes "Absence of proof is not proof of absence"

We actually market the fact that we don't have TVs by suggesting that this is a romantic getaway and a place to reconnect etc. etc. Most people get it and we've never had any complaints..
Proud Texan said:
You obviously have made it clear that you have no tvs and are attracting guests who like or tolerate it. If you are are looking to increase your occupancy, it's my belief that by adding tvs you'll get more takers. By not having tv/video, your market is more limited.
Guests who want no distractions will just not turn on the tv if it's in their room, but guests who want one will just not book at your place. We're also a romantic getaway in the country and I see this happen all the time. Some guests never turn it on, but most will watch movies from our collection and/or tv.

Proud Texan said:
You obviously have made it clear that you have no tvs and are attracting guests who like or tolerate it. If you are are looking to increase your occupancy, it's my belief that by adding tvs you'll get more takers. By not having tv/video, your market is more limited.
Guests who want no distractions will just not turn on the tv if it's in their room, but guests who want one will just not book at your place. We're also a romantic getaway in the country and I see this happen all the time. Some guests never turn it on, but most will watch movies from our collection and/or tv.
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Same here
RIki

In the UK it is standard that there is a TV in the room. People look at us like we are bonkers becuase we don't have the digital channels yet never mind cable. We will have the free digital channels buy 2011 and I think that will be enough for now. It would cost us $50 per room per month to have cable so it is far too expensive with 12 rooms it would be $600 a month on top of our TV liscence which is $300 a year plus we have to buy all new tv's by 2011.

Proud Texan said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Same here
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Proud Texan said:
Same here
RIki
Ditto here, Diva.

Beware...you need a licence before you can lend DVDs to guests.
It's "policed" in the UK by Film Bank, we had one for a year but for the number of people who wanted to watch a DVD it just wasn't worth the cost.
We have terrestrial digital TV in a all rooms and then people complain that there are not foreign language channels. We can't get them because we have no cable in the area and because of our position on a hillside be can't get a satellite signal.

toddburme said:
Our thought was flat panel with dvd players built in.
This brings to mind a reason I had a stereo component system in the old days with turntable, tape player, receiver, and other components all separate, rather than as a combo unit. That way if one component fails, you just replace it.
My thought is that if the DVD player quits working in the TV you might have a problem. TVs go on for years. DVD players have moving parts and are perhaps more likely to fail.
But I guess you're OK as long as the DVD/TV combo unit has a way to plug an external DVD player in if the internal one ever malfunctions. You might check for that.

It's "policed" in the UK by Film Bank, we had one for a year but for the number of people who wanted to watch a DVD it just wasn't worth the cost.
We have terrestrial digital TV in a all rooms and then people complain that there are not foreign language channels. We can't get them because we have no cable in the area and because of our position on a hillside be can't get a satellite signal..
Highlands John said:
We have terrestrial digital TV in a all rooms and then people complain that there are not foreign language channels. We can't get them because we have no cable in the area and because of our position on a hillside be can't get a satellite signal.
I do not believe this is the case in the US unless you are profiting from their use. B&B's are not renting the DVDs only allowing those to view it privately in their own rooms, not in a group setting which is also a disclaimer in use.

TV with internal DVD..........Great idea......have one in the kitchen.......15" LCD..........about 8 months ago the DVD player no longer worked......after owning the unit I think almost 2 years to that point.
Bought a $40 player plugged it in and the TV on top.........good to go.
I think the combo TV/DVD is great......as long as you have the hook up capability for when / if the DVD player stops working.
The current year is 2010..........humanity exists on gadgets.......as is humanity becoming more and more wired......or should I say.......wireless.
I would think TV's......DVD players.......cable or satelite......wifi.....phones for local calls are a must have.
True that travelers carry their cell phones.........roaming charges.......personaly I would not want to pay roaming charges just to call and make reservation for dinner cause where I am staying does not have a guest phone......

Our guests have a stack of them in their room!
How do you know what they want to watch???
wink_smile.gif
j/k....

Back