Calling late arrivals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just had to call both our last night guests. One said they were arriving between 3 to 4. By 5:30, we figured they were lost. But they were on the way. The other one said they'd arrive between 5 and 6. They arrived 8:15. When we called, they just didn't know how long it was going to drive here. Either way ok, but do we start preparing our dinner? Do we sit down to eat it only to be interrupted? Do we tell our friends "no, we can't go out to dinner with you after all"? It really just the unknown. We are on hold until they arrive..
I know your situation is a little different, but we've decided to eat when we're hungry and if we make plans to go out, we go. Guests are left info to let themselves in. We did this yesterday when we had just 5 hours to spend with 3 of our grandkids who live in CA. We won't see them again for a couple of years. As it worked out, it didn't impact anyone. But I didn't care if it did.

We just had to call both our last night guests. One said they were arriving between 3 to 4. By 5:30, we figured they were lost. But they were on the way. The other one said they'd arrive between 5 and 6. They arrived 8:15. When we called, they just didn't know how long it was going to drive here. Either way ok, but do we start preparing our dinner? Do we sit down to eat it only to be interrupted? Do we tell our friends "no, we can't go out to dinner with you after all"? It really just the unknown. We are on hold until they arrive..
I know your situation is a little different, but we've decided to eat when we're hungry and if we make plans to go out, we go. Guests are left info to let themselves in. We did this yesterday when we had just 5 hours to spend with 3 of our grandkids who live in CA. We won't see them again for a couple of years. As it worked out, it didn't impact anyone. But I didn't care if it did.
We have done that a few times. When we call to inquire on their arrival, we just tell them we won't be here after all to greet you and then we leave a welcoming letter in the room. But if we are home, no going out plans, then we feel we are kinda just in limbo between host face and non host face. Luckily it is only a few times.

"Either way ok, but do we start preparing our dinner? Do we sit down to eat it only to be interrupted?"
Matatoc you know the Mother Murphy's Rule of Innkeeping #1, the quickest way for guests to beat a path to your door is either, a) begin cooking somehting you cannot step away from or it will burn, or b) sit to down to eat finally. "ring ring ring we're here!"
It's all fun, keeps us off the streets.

We use data from their reservation for the door code and leave them a hint on the door. They also get a warning about your check-in time in email three days earlier. I'm tired of waiting for people. If I call (or text) then it's just the code. Everything else is on the sheet on the door waiting for them.
I'm tired of waiting. I want my life back..
These folks, too, got the info a couple of days ago. I'm finding that no one, absolutely none of the guests who I send the reminder email to seem to have gotten it. The are totally surprised to find a deposit has been taken. The emails DO go because I do receive a copy.
Alibi Ike said:
I'm finding that no one, absolutely none of the guests who I send the reminder email to seem to have gotten it.
Some e-mail apps, like Microsoft Outlook, let you mark e-mails you send so they pop up a window on the recipient computer, asking them to click OK to automatically confirm that they read the message.
Of course, that's no sure thing either. They won't always click OK. Or they might click OK but not actually read the message.
Text messages may eventually have to replace e-mails to get really important info to guests. Of course, then you'll get complaints that you're using up their monthly text quota or something.
Oh wow! I didn't know this about Outlook. Like you said, they don't have to click it, but if MOST do it can do nothing but work in our favor. Good tip!

We use data from their reservation for the door code and leave them a hint on the door. They also get a warning about your check-in time in email three days earlier. I'm tired of waiting for people. If I call (or text) then it's just the code. Everything else is on the sheet on the door waiting for them.
I'm tired of waiting. I want my life back..
These folks, too, got the info a couple of days ago. I'm finding that no one, absolutely none of the guests who I send the reminder email to seem to have gotten it. The are totally surprised to find a deposit has been taken. The emails DO go because I do receive a copy.
Alibi Ike said:
I'm finding that no one, absolutely none of the guests who I send the reminder email to seem to have gotten it.
Some e-mail apps, like Microsoft Outlook, let you mark e-mails you send so they pop up a window on the recipient computer, asking them to click OK to automatically confirm that they read the message.
Of course, that's no sure thing either. They won't always click OK. Or they might click OK but not actually read the message.
Text messages may eventually have to replace e-mails to get really important info to guests. Of course, then you'll get complaints that you're using up their monthly text quota or something.
Oh wow! I didn't know this about Outlook. Like you said, they don't have to click it, but if MOST do it can do nothing but work in our favor. Good tip!
There is usally a read receipt with most all email software. But as was said I find very few reply to it these days. In fact I have a very important message I just sent and still no reply. I don't use it often but when I do I mean business and get no response...grrrrr.

Read rcpts are turned off on my email progm. No one gets a read rcpt from me. :)

We have done that a few times. When we call to inquire on their arrival, we just tell them we won't be here after all to greet you and then we leave a welcoming letter in the room. But if we are home, no going out plans, then we feel we are kinda just in limbo between host face and non host face. Luckily it is only a few times.
Mtatoc said:
...then we feel we are kinda just in limbo between host face and non host face. Luckily it is only a few times.
I have answered the door with my goofy, few glasses of wine in me face if they show up late enough, but not late enough to put the note out. Hey, I hope they are old enough to handle the idea that I am not a machine.

I am new to this forum as an aspiring innkeeper currently under negotiations with the inn we want to purchase.
My husband and I were on a buying trip - looking at an area with the intent to either find the perfect place and inn or eliminate the area from our consideration so we had booked stays at four different B&Bs. All were made aware that we were "shopping". EVERY one of them called us the week of our arrival. On the first day we found this extremely odd since we have only rarely received that annoying intrusion from an innkeeper over the many years of traveling via B&Bs. BUT, when we arrived, we completely understood why this was the norm and not the exception in this community. The narrow winding streets, strange layout of the town and just plain difficulty in navigating made phone calls necessary. Both Google maps and Mapquest gave inaccurate directions to the entire town and, until you spent a little time there with the map in the middle of the CVB hand out, it was impossible to get from one place to another without holding the map on the top of the steering wheel or having someone on the phone directing you.
As we have become more savvy about the industry I understand why the calls might be made, but, I also felt it was an intrusion and too much like a "helicopter" parent behavior. Much like my students who think teachers are put away in the coat closet when the final bell of the day rings and then retrieved when the school opens in the morning, travelers believe innkeepers never leave their inns and have no life outside of that role. It kind of adds to the overall ambience and illusion that makes B&Bs so charming, IMHO..
Welcome to the forum Susan. Great insights and right on the money!
As an inn for sale, those shopping have not been the greatest at showing up, or being on time, or showing early. I can attest to that, the stress of having the house ready when you are in your busy season is even worse! I remember one person who called and was on the way and then never showed up. We left messages for her, we scheduled our entire day around her walk through, and she finally called the next day and said "Sorry my sister called and I had to turn around and take care of something...I will be there next weekend." We said, nope, no chance.
welcome.gif

Oh my! No way I would be so rude. We actually stayed over and paid full price for our room online before telling them we were shopping. Then we sent a "thought you should know..." e-mail. We also didn't do official "showings" then. We went on scheduled appointments for two full days with a local realtor who made all the arrangements except for the "by owner" property and we stayed there two nights. One of the owners said that it was standard practice for every innkeeper to call the guests for the very reasons I cited - everyone gets lost on their first visit.
I don't think it would be a bad thing to mention what town it is, especially since it is on the top 10 list referenced in a different post and I didn't mention any Inn by name. It's Eureka Springs, Arkansas. If you've not been there, it is a town of lovely historical homes, mostly victorian, nestled into a hillside, amongst springs coming up everywhere with lovely parks around them, all in the Ozark Mountains. The downtown is all shops, studios, galleries and restaurants. Lovely, but not the right region for us midwesterners. We also want a larger Inn since neither of us want to work outside of the Inn, so we are only interested in Inns with at least 8 rooms. The one we are currently negotiating for is 9 and, if we can get over the hurdles, and sell our home, we should be innkeepers by next summer. If not, we will just find something else and have already been looking at other properties.
This weekend, Kentucky.

I am new to this forum as an aspiring innkeeper currently under negotiations with the inn we want to purchase.
My husband and I were on a buying trip - looking at an area with the intent to either find the perfect place and inn or eliminate the area from our consideration so we had booked stays at four different B&Bs. All were made aware that we were "shopping". EVERY one of them called us the week of our arrival. On the first day we found this extremely odd since we have only rarely received that annoying intrusion from an innkeeper over the many years of traveling via B&Bs. BUT, when we arrived, we completely understood why this was the norm and not the exception in this community. The narrow winding streets, strange layout of the town and just plain difficulty in navigating made phone calls necessary. Both Google maps and Mapquest gave inaccurate directions to the entire town and, until you spent a little time there with the map in the middle of the CVB hand out, it was impossible to get from one place to another without holding the map on the top of the steering wheel or having someone on the phone directing you.
As we have become more savvy about the industry I understand why the calls might be made, but, I also felt it was an intrusion and too much like a "helicopter" parent behavior. Much like my students who think teachers are put away in the coat closet when the final bell of the day rings and then retrieved when the school opens in the morning, travelers believe innkeepers never leave their inns and have no life outside of that role. It kind of adds to the overall ambience and illusion that makes B&Bs so charming, IMHO..
Welcome to the forum Susan. Great insights and right on the money!
As an inn for sale, those shopping have not been the greatest at showing up, or being on time, or showing early. I can attest to that, the stress of having the house ready when you are in your busy season is even worse! I remember one person who called and was on the way and then never showed up. We left messages for her, we scheduled our entire day around her walk through, and she finally called the next day and said "Sorry my sister called and I had to turn around and take care of something...I will be there next weekend." We said, nope, no chance.
welcome.gif

Oh my! No way I would be so rude. We actually stayed over and paid full price for our room online before telling them we were shopping. Then we sent a "thought you should know..." e-mail. We also didn't do official "showings" then. We went on scheduled appointments for two full days with a local realtor who made all the arrangements except for the "by owner" property and we stayed there two nights. One of the owners said that it was standard practice for every innkeeper to call the guests for the very reasons I cited - everyone gets lost on their first visit.
I don't think it would be a bad thing to mention what town it is, especially since it is on the top 10 list referenced in a different post and I didn't mention any Inn by name. It's Eureka Springs, Arkansas. If you've not been there, it is a town of lovely historical homes, mostly victorian, nestled into a hillside, amongst springs coming up everywhere with lovely parks around them, all in the Ozark Mountains. The downtown is all shops, studios, galleries and restaurants. Lovely, but not the right region for us midwesterners. We also want a larger Inn since neither of us want to work outside of the Inn, so we are only interested in Inns with at least 8 rooms. The one we are currently negotiating for is 9 and, if we can get over the hurdles, and sell our home, we should be innkeepers by next summer. If not, we will just find something else and have already been looking at other properties.
This weekend, Kentucky.
Susan said:
I don't think it would be a bad thing to mention what town it is, especially since it is on the top 10 list referenced in a different post and I didn't mention any Inn by name. It's Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
Yes, Eureka Springs is amazing. A population of just 2,400 in the middle of nowhere, but it has about 60 B&B's! It benefits from having been so poor in the 1950's that they couldn't afford to tear down all the old homes and businesses and build new, so they still have so much from their Victorian heyday as a heath spa town. They benefit now from their proximity to Branson, Missouri. Lots of the Branson tourists head down to Eureka for a couple of days. It's Arkansas' biggest tourist attraction...even bigger than our diamond mine!

We ask that folks call us as the ferry is leaving the dock or when walking out to the plane. We pick up from the dock or the airport & so if they haven't phoned ask requested, we definately call them as FREQUENTLY folks make last minute boat/flight changes.

"Either way ok, but do we start preparing our dinner? Do we sit down to eat it only to be interrupted?"
Matatoc you know the Mother Murphy's Rule of Innkeeping #1, the quickest way for guests to beat a path to your door is either, a) begin cooking somehting you cannot step away from or it will burn, or b) sit to down to eat finally. "ring ring ring we're here!"
the trick is to use this to yor advantage! I pop to the toilet, make a cup of coffee and sit down or start cooking my tea so that they come! gets the last stragglers checked in!

For me it is either go visit "mother" or go to the grocery.

Back