Can you deduct this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I am asking on behalf of the outside innkeeper who doesn't want to spend $3000 on the mower of his dreams, vs the push mower he currently uses, but want to get one...I already have my answer, this is one of those times I need to "ask the experts" as proof:
"Can you deduct a mower as a B&B expense? "

You do the landscaping and it IS necessary equipment........

I think the legal accounting answer is no, as I have heard CPAs at B&B conferences say outside maintenance and landscaping is not deductible.
Other sources say that you can allocate a portion of it to the business and deduct it, like you allocate other items that have both business and personal use.
Me, personally - I would deduct all of it, and take my chances.

I think the legal accounting answer is no, as I have heard CPAs at B&B conferences say outside maintenance and landscaping is not deductible.
Other sources say that you can allocate a portion of it to the business and deduct it, like you allocate other items that have both business and personal use.
Me, personally - I would deduct all of it, and take my chances..
muirford said:
I'm with Muirford. We have done this and it will stay with the property if it ever sells. It is necessary equipment for the business.

muirford said:
I'm with Muirford. We have done this and it will stay with the property if it ever sells. It is necessary equipment for the business.
Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
So then, if we do it will be depreciated, and then we get to pay tax on it every year as business property. I wonder which way is the best way, y'all have any thoughts on that?

muirford said:
Does it matter if you're incorporated or not? That might be the case.
I'm pretty sure we have to leave anything behind that the business bought.
Throws me for a loop now that I need a new computer.

muirford said:
Does it matter if you're incorporated or not? That might be the case.
I'm pretty sure we have to leave anything behind that the business bought.
Throws me for a loop now that I need a new computer.
So what? By the time you sell the inn, the computer won't be worth anything anyway and once sold...you can buy a new one:) Just remember to clean off all of your personal stuff.

muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
So then, if we do it will be depreciated, and then we get to pay tax on it every year as business property. I wonder which way is the best way, y'all have any thoughts on that?
Here's my thought even though it's not really the question you're asking. If a riding mower makes the outside innkeepers life better and he can get it done in half the time and be out of the sweltering heat, I would buy it. Happy outside innkeeper makes for a happier inside innkeeper.

muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
Here's my thought even though it's not really the question you're asking. If a riding mower makes the outside innkeepers life better and he can get it done in half the time and be out of the sweltering heat, I would buy it. Happy outside innkeeper makes for a happier inside innkeeper.
Breakfast Diva said:
No, it is not a riding mower, we have diff levels to mow that do not transition, but yes it is all about less time to mow and happier lives. I agree with you, I am here saying 'Buy it!' and 'I'll get the truck keys let's go...' Just need you all to help me convince him. If you thought it twas I who was the cheapskate and holding back, you are mistaken. I am 100% all for getting it now vs later and saving time, energy sweat and adding happiness.

muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
No, it is not a riding mower, we have diff levels to mow that do not transition, but yes it is all about less time to mow and happier lives. I agree with you, I am here saying 'Buy it!' and 'I'll get the truck keys let's go...' Just need you all to help me convince him. If you thought it twas I who was the cheapskate and holding back, you are mistaken. I am 100% all for getting it now vs later and saving time, energy sweat and adding happiness.
JBloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
HA! You're right, I thought it was he who wanted it. Ok, now you tell him I'm going to come over there and slap him silly. GET THE DANG THING!

I no longer claim anything other than food on my taxes. We have Personal Property tax here on personal AND on Business. IF I claim something on my Sched C, the County dings me for it on my taxes for the next 10 years (depreciates in 10 years @ 10% per) - easier to just buy it and forget it as I have enough deductions with my ads and whatever my other deductible are to do what is necessary.
Tell him to buy it. Adding - Father's Day is around the corner. Do not convince him - Father's Day present!

A $3,000 mower would be considered a piece of capital equipment that should be depreciated over time rather than deducted one time as a business expense -- but there is something called a Section 179 deduction that allows you to deduct the cost of certain capital equipment purchased for business use rather than having to depreciate. Buy the new mower out of the Inn's bank account, keep the old mower to mow your personal portion of the lawn (postage stamp) and use the new mower to mow the rest. Take the section 179 deduction, or depreciate over time, whichever is better for your tax situation....

BTW, we have acres of lawn to mow here. It used to be done by a stout young man using a standard 21" push lawn mower, not even self-propelled. It would take him 2 days. A couple years ago we got a hold of a 2nd-hand 48" commercial mower (self-propelled, 17 horsepower), and can now get all the mowing done in several hours. The thing is a real beast, weighs about 400 pounds, and sounds like a helicopter taking off when you engage the blades -- but it can sure cut the grass!

Mr. Blogg, when I get over to visit some day I want to see the dream mower sitting in the shed, the outside innkeeper sitting on the porch with his feet up drinking his favorite drink! and a newly mowed lawn!
regular_smile.gif

We just bought a new riding mower last year and yes it is deductible according to our CPA. We are a DBA not a corporation so that wouldn't matter.

A $3,000 mower would be considered a piece of capital equipment that should be depreciated over time rather than deducted one time as a business expense -- but there is something called a Section 179 deduction that allows you to deduct the cost of certain capital equipment purchased for business use rather than having to depreciate. Buy the new mower out of the Inn's bank account, keep the old mower to mow your personal portion of the lawn (postage stamp) and use the new mower to mow the rest. Take the section 179 deduction, or depreciate over time, whichever is better for your tax situation.....
OnTheShore said:
A $3,000 mower would be considered a piece of capital equipment that should be depreciated over time rather than deducted one time as a business expense -- but there is something called a Section 179 deduction that allows you to deduct the cost of certain capital equipment purchased for business use rather than having to depreciate. Buy the new mower out of the Inn's bank account, keep the old mower to mow your personal portion of the lawn (postage stamp) and use the new mower to mow the rest. Take the section 179 deduction, or depreciate over time, whichever is better for your tax situation....
Thanks.
thumbs_up.gif

Mr. Blogg, when I get over to visit some day I want to see the dream mower sitting in the shed, the outside innkeeper sitting on the porch with his feet up drinking his favorite drink! and a newly mowed lawn!
regular_smile.gif
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
That is every week, mow it and mow it again. Favorite drink, sometimes. :)

BTW, we have acres of lawn to mow here. It used to be done by a stout young man using a standard 21" push lawn mower, not even self-propelled. It would take him 2 days. A couple years ago we got a hold of a 2nd-hand 48" commercial mower (self-propelled, 17 horsepower), and can now get all the mowing done in several hours. The thing is a real beast, weighs about 400 pounds, and sounds like a helicopter taking off when you engage the blades -- but it can sure cut the grass!.
OnTheShore said:
The thing is a real beast, weighs about 400 pounds, and sounds like a helicopter taking off when you engage the blades -- but it can sure cut the grass!
That is what he wants, and just bought.

BTW, we have acres of lawn to mow here. It used to be done by a stout young man using a standard 21" push lawn mower, not even self-propelled. It would take him 2 days. A couple years ago we got a hold of a 2nd-hand 48" commercial mower (self-propelled, 17 horsepower), and can now get all the mowing done in several hours. The thing is a real beast, weighs about 400 pounds, and sounds like a helicopter taking off when you engage the blades -- but it can sure cut the grass!.
OnTheShore said:
The thing is a real beast, weighs about 400 pounds, and sounds like a helicopter taking off when you engage the blades -- but it can sure cut the grass!
Post pictures ;-)

OnTheShore said:
JBloggs said:
OnTheShore said:
YEA!!

Back