Can you use Almond milk same as sour milk?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
IF I did not have sour milk and needed it for a recipe, I would just ad a tad of vinegar to sour it. This is the first time (Thanksgiving) I have dealt with almond milk - and have quite a bit left over after making the dinner and pies, etc. Can I just add vinegar to use it in a recipe for sour milk?

If you mean buttermilk, it might work the same way. But a lot of baking recipes with buttermilk omit baking powder and add extra baking soda, so you would have to adjust for that. What are you trying to make?

Just thinking about making gingerbread or chocolate cake. I never toss sour milk - I have a jug in the fridge to save it, but I have this left over almond milk from my dairy-free Thanksgiving. I might make some gingerbread today with it. Just hated to waste ingredients to just try it. Gere comes the vinegar....

I never toss sour milk....
My mother always had a jug of soured milk saved in the refrigerator. She used it in place of buttermilk in cornbread. So good. Thanks for the great memory! Let us know how your almond milk recipes turn out.

When we want to make a recipe DF that calls for buttermilk, we use 1 tsp apple cider vinegar in soy milk. Almond milk can work, but it's so water-y it doesnt have same consistency.... and yes, almost always use at least 1/4 tsp baking soda per cup of buttermilk (more for denser flours like corn meal) to activate the buttermilk to get the rise in the batter....

When we want to make a recipe DF that calls for buttermilk, we use 1 tsp apple cider vinegar in soy milk. Almond milk can work, but it's so water-y it doesn't have same consistency.... and yes, almost always use at least 1/4 tsp baking soda per cup of buttermilk (more for denser flours like corn meal) to activate the buttermilk to get the rise in the batter....

Thank you for the tip. I will use it. I had been warned of the thinness by a guest who was GF and she gave me the tip to use 1 teaspoon of cornstarch for my pumpkin pie made with almond milk. It worked nicely.

UPDATE: I finally made the gingerbread tonight. I will be serving it in the morning instead of muffins. The almond milk (added 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar to make sure it was sour - it was old enough it should have been but wanted to make sure). Turned our nicely. I chopped figs for it instead of raisins.

Cannot remember if I said - my friends harvested a deer for me 2 weeks ago. The butcher called to say it is ready for pick-up. Will get it Tuesday. Getting the tenderloins for my roasts and all the rest was ground with 10% fatty pork for my sausage. WOOHOO!!! Maple venison sausage is back on the choices.

Back