Cancelations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my 4th declined card in 10 days..
Alibi Ike said:
Just had my 4th declined card in 10 days.
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
In your experience, when this happens do they ever make good on it? When you call, are there just excuses? No response? No shows?
Yes, I'm so curious too. This is NOT my experience at all, and I just don't understand why Alibi gets so many.
InnBloom said:
Yes, I'm so curious too. This is NOT my experience at all, and I just don't understand why Alibi gets so many.
I'm a magnet for these things. Be thankful I take most of them out of circulation for everyone else! ;)
Alibi Ike said:
I'm a magnet for these things. Be thankful I take most of them out of circulation for everyone else! ;)
You also live in an area close enough to several mega cities to get their citizens as guests. People in mega-cities do not think like other people perhaps - they think they are better perhaps and operate with different rules.

[/QUOTE]
gillumhouse said:
People in mega-cities do not think like other people perhaps - they think they are better perhaps and operate with different rules.
Not true. I get 85% of my guests from mega-cities and do not experience problems at the level that Ike does. For which I am grateful, every day.

All I can say is better it be at deposit time than the night of check in!
Finding that this year money seems to be tight, they are squeezing pennies to pay for a trip or getaway. I have seen more stressful faces in the past few months than ever before. Luckily they seem to be more smiles when they head home.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
In your experience, when this happens do they ever make good on it? When you call, are there just excuses? No response? No shows?
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
InnBloom said:
Bless you
wink_smile.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
was having a good day but now I am really hacked off Booking was booked by daughter for parents 25th wedding anniversary was supposed to come at 7pm its now half past 8 number rings to a mobile and they arn't ringing back and have tried the card and it is declined have a feeling they arn't comming and now no way to get the money out of them. Also a reguar who booked last year to come tonight hasn't turned up have a feeling he isn't going to either. Am really cross!
was having a good day but now I am really hacked off Booking was booked by daughter for parents 25th wedding anniversary was supposed to come at 7pm its now half past 8 number rings to a mobile and they arn't ringing back and have tried the card and it is declined have a feeling they arn't comming and now no way to get the money out of them. Also a reguar who booked last year to come tonight hasn't turned up have a feeling he isn't going to either. Am really cross!
Can you run an AUTH on the card to hold the money?

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
You also live in an area close enough to several mega cities to get their citizens as guests. People in mega-cities do not think like other people perhaps - they think they are better perhaps and operate with different rules.
gillumhouse said:
People in mega-cities do not think like other people perhaps - they think they are better perhaps and operate with different rules.
Not true. I get 85% of my guests from mega-cities and do not experience problems at the level that Ike does. For which I am grateful, every day.

[/QUOTE]
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
I thought I gave the PITA prize away a few years ago. Why does it always seem to find me again?
BTW, the other bad card was TN. I will say that the MO and TN cities both have larger populations than my whole state. But don't think that's the problem. And 2 of the cards had been replaced due to being hijacked.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
I thought I gave the PITA prize away a few years ago. Why does it always seem to find me again?
BTW, the other bad card was TN. I will say that the MO and TN cities both have larger populations than my whole state. But don't think that's the problem. And 2 of the cards had been replaced due to being hijacked.

[/QUOTE]
Alibi Ike said:
. And 2 of the cards had been replaced due to being hijacked.
Okay, so when you say "bad cards", I'm thinking you don't really mean dead-beat guests? You mean you have to contact them to get better (new) card information?

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
Okay, so when you say "bad cards", I'm thinking you don't really mean dead-beat guests? You mean you have to contact them to get better (new) card information?

[/QUOTE]
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Just one of the four where we didn't get paid. The other 3 came up with valid cards. My problem is that two of those were being paid for by someone else so the guest was not responsible for payment, the third party was. So, had I waited and not been able to get in touch with the card holder, the guest would have had to pay.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Just one of the four where we didn't get paid. The other 3 came up with valid cards. My problem is that two of those were being paid for by someone else so the guest was not responsible for payment, the third party was. So, had I waited and not been able to get in touch with the card holder, the guest would have had to pay.

[/QUOTE]
Okay... have you thought about the fact of not allowing a third-party to pay and therefore if they want to pay it, they are required to buy a Gift Certificate for the amount and pass the CC immediately? If you want to be nice, allow the GC to be refundable. But in this case, it's prepaid at the time that they make the reservation.
Just a suggestion.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:

[/QUOTE]
We charge the full amount the day they make the reservation with a 3rd party card.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Okay... have you thought about the fact of not allowing a third-party to pay and therefore if they want to pay it, they are required to buy a Gift Certificate for the amount and pass the CC immediately? If you want to be nice, allow the GC to be refundable. But in this case, it's prepaid at the time that they make the reservation.
Just a suggestion.

[/QUOTE]
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Just a suggestion.
One of them was a travel agent. Kind of thought their card would be good given they are booking for travelers all over the place. It could have been a typo but the agency never returned my email inquires.
Yes, I asked the others if they wanted to give their parent a GC and they said, 'Oh, that's not necessary, just run my card.' I should run them immediately.
But, I don't charge for cancellations, so I hate running the cards and then having to refund months out.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Just a suggestion.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Just a suggestion.
One of them was a travel agent. Kind of thought their card would be good given they are booking for travelers all over the place. It could have been a typo but the agency never returned my email inquires.
Yes, I asked the others if they wanted to give their parent a GC and they said, 'Oh, that's not necessary, just run my card.' I should run them immediately.
But, I don't charge for cancellations, so I hate running the cards and then having to refund months out.

[/QUOTE]
The lesser of two evils. I guess you would refund a lot less times then you would get ripped off.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Just a suggestion.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Just a suggestion.
The lesser of two evils. I guess you would refund a lot less times then you would get ripped off.

[/QUOTE]
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That's why we're taking the deposits this year. Too much lost income last year with no shows and early leavers and late arrivers.

Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Wow.
Exactly.
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
gillumhouse said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Alibi Ike said:
InnBloom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Just a suggestion.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Just a suggestion.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That's why we're taking the deposits this year. Too much lost income last year with no shows and early leavers and late arrivers.

[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you'll find that if you're taking the deposits now when the res is booked, you'll have less trouble---since the cards are good when they're given to you and haven't had to be replaced, etc. We take deposits upon booking, and usually the only problem I have running the deposit turns out to be a typo or a miskey on my part---or MANY times a zip-code mismatch which I can never figure out. But I take the deposit and get on with my life.
Good luck with your new method! I hope it results in less lost income, headaches and heartache.

Back