Cereal Offerings - How To Choose & Serve

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
We do a plated two course breakfast and it's worked great for us for 10 years. I'm thinking about offering cereal for those who don't want the entree that I'm serving (chef's choice). I typically serve 18 people, again 2 courses.
I know some have yogurt and granola on the sideboard that guests can have in addition to their meal. I make my own homemade maple almond granola and serve that along with vanilla yogurt in various first courses like vanilla poached plums with granola and yogurt; cranberry poached pears with vanilla yogurt sauce, fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits. So I didn't want to put out granola if it is going to be redundant in my first course.
So If I wanted to have cereal available instead of the entree, would you recommend asking after the first course is served if they want the entree? I was thinking we would just do our normal routine and if someone says I don't like waffles or frittata, then we can point them over to the cereal and they can help themselves to that but they'll know that I'm not whipping up omelets for them instead. Anyone who does this, do you find that the entree goes to waste because people have filled up on cereal? Do more people opt for the entree than choose cereal? I don't want to create more waste and expense because I hate both. Thanks.

I think I'd be confused if there were a cereal buffet available before the entre comes out. I might not be sure I'm waiting for hot food.
However, if you wish to offer a cereal buffet, maybe with a prominent sign stating your menu and "In addition, if you would like a bowl of cereal, please help yourself," we offer: Raisin Bran, granola, gf Spec. K, Quaker instant oatmeal, Chex GF instant oatmeal, snak pack boxes of Fruit Loops, Frosted Flakes, Coco Krispies, and Corn Pops.

We have 4 cereal dispensers with generic names of cereal on them (government doesn't want us using brand names). They are on the sideboard. When they arrive for breakfast for the first time they are given a "three house tour" and the cereal is mention under the words "if desired". They are also told what hot dish(es) we are serving.
Some just want cereal and this gives them the chance. And if they take it first, we just delay bringing them their dish until they finish.
Notable exception.... British and Aussie guests have to be told what the main course is before you tell them there is cereal... we have found that sometimes they over stuff themselves with cereal drowning out all other words. I don't know why, though. And in fact we have nicknamed cereal as "bowl of contrition" because so many are contrite after having it and not able to eat the main.
(We never use the word entree, it's an Americanism... in standard English it means appetizer. Using it with foreign guests might get them confused.)

We have those little boxes of cereal that Charlie hates. I've got 6-7 types out (about 5 boxes of each). Guests help themselves to whatever they want. When I bring the first course, I explain the main course and if someone has filled up on cereal they usually let me know the cereal was enough. MOST people who eat a couple of boxes of cereal also eat the main course all the way thru.
I will say that if you're thinking someone will accept, 'Help yourself to some cereal,' after they have declined the chef's choice breakfast, you're mistaken. ;-) They ARE most definitely thinking you are making them something hot, with your own little hands and not fobbing a box of cereal on them. (YMMV, but that's my experience. As everyone knows. And it's ALWAYS the GF who pulls that because there are no GF cereals they want to eat. Including the GF oatmeal you bought especially for them. Sorry, I'll stop now.)

We have those little boxes of cereal that Charlie hates. I've got 6-7 types out (about 5 boxes of each). Guests help themselves to whatever they want. When I bring the first course, I explain the main course and if someone has filled up on cereal they usually let me know the cereal was enough. MOST people who eat a couple of boxes of cereal also eat the main course all the way thru.
I will say that if you're thinking someone will accept, 'Help yourself to some cereal,' after they have declined the chef's choice breakfast, you're mistaken. ;-) They ARE most definitely thinking you are making them something hot, with your own little hands and not fobbing a box of cereal on them. (YMMV, but that's my experience. As everyone knows. And it's ALWAYS the GF who pulls that because there are no GF cereals they want to eat. Including the GF oatmeal you bought especially for them. Sorry, I'll stop now.).
Don't hate them. They are incredibly expensive and I would actually lose points in my government rating for them.
When I buy it from the Cost Club on sale it's about $6 for just under 2 kg of the stuff. The box is 43g. So that's equivalent to over 46 boxes. So at 50c a box that's $23 for 46 boxes.

Back