Check-in time

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours. I don't quiz people to find out WHY it took so long, they were already flustered from driving. If you are in a different place, it always takes longer than you figure to go point a to point b..
Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours.
BTDT - In my inn-guest days did not realize just how many miles I was going to be trying to cover in that day (before goo gle maps).
We have had guests arrive from the DC area wite-knuckled and glassy-eyed. Instead of taking the suggested routing, they look at a map and see US Rt 50 West and it looks like a straight shot good road. It is - in the daylight if you like curves and hills (more than a few KYA turns). At night! no way Jose!!!! Then on top of the road itself one gets the added attraction of dodging wildlife - you hope. What looks like a few hours of driving turns into a lot of hours driving!

Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours. I don't quiz people to find out WHY it took so long, they were already flustered from driving. If you are in a different place, it always takes longer than you figure to go point a to point b..
Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours.
BTDT - In my inn-guest days did not realize just how many miles I was going to be trying to cover in that day (before goo gle maps).
We have had guests arrive from the DC area wite-knuckled and glassy-eyed. Instead of taking the suggested routing, they look at a map and see US Rt 50 West and it looks like a straight shot good road. It is - in the daylight if you like curves and hills (more than a few KYA turns). At night! no way Jose!!!! Then on top of the road itself one gets the added attraction of dodging wildlife - you hope. What looks like a few hours of driving turns into a lot of hours driving!
US Rt 50 West
Been there done that one.... ONCE ONLY :) And it was in daylight. yeah...some shortcut...NOT!

Or, forbid it, they find a B&B on Bnb,com with the "as a crow flies" nearby B&B's listed...Not sure if this is still the case, but they had a town as nearby to a city which takes 50-60 minutes to drive it. People think it is right there and are shocked to realize is in an hour (that is my direct drive time, not lost and confused guests drive time btw)

US Rt 50 West
Been there done that one.... ONCE ONLY :) And it was in daylight. yeah...some shortcut...NOT!
Was I kidding about the KYA turns?

we had two chaps turned up to leave their bags about 1pm said they would be back about 6 to check in properly actually it as 2.30am I had rung them at 9pm to see where they were and tell them the late check in procedure so I wouldn't have to get up. However I was ill in the night so actually was up (if I hadn't been up I would have been furious) So they got to the back door and couldn't figure out the lock box (not helped by the fact they were pissed as a fart) Got there and they were stood on the step little little boys and said "we couldn't get in but we know the combination ###" I couldn't help but laugh so one prods the other "she's laughing we arn't in trouble" (they were about 50) packed them off to bed and went to sleep. They apologised profusely this morning.

This actually happened Sat night. The house was fully reserved for a wedding party not a week ago, last week the wedding advisor called DH and cancelled all reservations (the owner has a 48 hour cancel policy..yea thats changing) anyway, we thankfully got rooms booked anyway throughout the week but did not book all the rooms and by Saturday we only had three check ins. Well they had gotten checked in before 6PM-which we where so glad were planing to go into town to hear a band and eat dinner at a new place that opened and we knew the owners...it was perfect!
Went to dinner-had a few drinks but where home by 10:30 by 11:00 there was a call-and someone on the front porch, we looked at eachother puzzled!?!? DH answered the door ( I was already in PJ's and not looking great) and apparently they where the photographers, luckily we had three rooms available-but he told them that the rooms where cancelled-they said THE GROOM AND BRIDE are behind us. The short of the story is that DH waited for them and thank goodness that we had rooms and the bride did pay for four rooms-and sat with the party talking and drinking champagne...plus our other guest was here for a class reunion and they all got along smashingly and sat on front porch having a blast.
Learned one lesson-call the person that made the reservation to make sure its canceled....it kind of made me mad to think that they did not call to tell us that they will be running late...

This actually happened Sat night. The house was fully reserved for a wedding party not a week ago, last week the wedding advisor called DH and cancelled all reservations (the owner has a 48 hour cancel policy..yea thats changing) anyway, we thankfully got rooms booked anyway throughout the week but did not book all the rooms and by Saturday we only had three check ins. Well they had gotten checked in before 6PM-which we where so glad were planing to go into town to hear a band and eat dinner at a new place that opened and we knew the owners...it was perfect!
Went to dinner-had a few drinks but where home by 10:30 by 11:00 there was a call-and someone on the front porch, we looked at eachother puzzled!?!? DH answered the door ( I was already in PJ's and not looking great) and apparently they where the photographers, luckily we had three rooms available-but he told them that the rooms where cancelled-they said THE GROOM AND BRIDE are behind us. The short of the story is that DH waited for them and thank goodness that we had rooms and the bride did pay for four rooms-and sat with the party talking and drinking champagne...plus our other guest was here for a class reunion and they all got along smashingly and sat on front porch having a blast.
Learned one lesson-call the person that made the reservation to make sure its canceled....it kind of made me mad to think that they did not call to tell us that they will be running late....
This almost sounds like someone got mad at the bride or groom and canceled their rooms out of spite. And who the heck brings the photogs along on their wedding night? You get some weird ones!

The wedding adviser rang? to cancel? that is weird! I would have liked to know what is going on there. Also I would be wary of working with that planner again get some serious policies in place especially for a whole inn booking like that.

Joey Bloggs said:
Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours. I don't quiz people to find out WHY it took so long, they were already flustered from driving. If you are in a different place, it always takes longer than you figure to go point a to point b.
Unless your in New England.
Because of it's size, distances in Texas are measured in hours and minutes and not by miles i.e., it's 5 hours to San Antonio and 2 hours to Dallas etc. So we have become accustomed to driving great distances to get from point A to point B.
We were in Vermont years ago and told the owner of the B&B where we were staying that we probably needed to leave a day early because we had to catch our flight out of Hartford the next afternoon. We reasoned that since we had to drive across several states that it would take most of the day. He laughed and told us we could make it in just under 3 hours.
We still laugh about this, but it was a good lesson in perspective.

Joey Bloggs said:
Our check in last night had no idea and they said looking at a map it showed 130 miles and it took them hours and hours. I don't quiz people to find out WHY it took so long, they were already flustered from driving. If you are in a different place, it always takes longer than you figure to go point a to point b.
Because of it's size, distances in Texas are measured in hours and minutes and not by miles i.e., it's 5 hours to San Antonio and 2 hours to Dallas etc. So we have become accustomed to driving great distances to get from point A to point B.
We were in Vermont years ago and told the owner of the B&B where we were staying that we probably needed to leave a day early because we had to catch our flight out of Hartford the next afternoon. We reasoned that since we had to drive across several states that it would take most of the day. He laughed and told us we could make it in just under 3 hours.
Have guest coming next week from TX. He wanted directions from RI to here. I told him to be sure he only got off the interstate IN Maine, not in any other state with the same exit number. He says, 'How many states am I going to go thru?!' I told him he'd rack up 4 states in about 3 hours. We had a good laugh.
It's good info to know how other people measure driving/walking distances.

Learned one lesson-call the person that made the reservation to make sure its canceled....it kind of made me mad to think that they did not call to tell us that they will be running late....
This almost sounds like someone got mad at the bride or groom and canceled their rooms out of spite. And who the heck brings the photogs along on their wedding night? You get some weird ones!
Morticia said:
And who the heck brings the photogs along on their wedding night?
Talk about wanting to keep the memories alive!!!
wow.gif

Or, forbid it, they find a B&B on Bnb,com with the "as a crow flies" nearby B&B's listed...Not sure if this is still the case, but they had a town as nearby to a city which takes 50-60 minutes to drive it. People think it is right there and are shocked to realize is in an hour (that is my direct drive time, not lost and confused guests drive time btw).
Joey Bloggs said:
Or, forbid it, they find a B&B on Bnb,com with the "as a crow flies" nearby B&B's listed...Not sure if this is still the case, but they had a town as nearby to a city which takes 50-60 minutes to drive it. People think it is right there and are shocked to realize is in an hour (that is my direct drive time, not lost and confused guests drive time btw)
Yes, the 'as the crow flies' distances gets them every time. That is a big problem that plagues several properties to the west of us with their location to the big city to the south east of them. By air they are about 20-25 miles, by road they are a good hour or more. I am 30 miles out and I do not show up unless they request a greater radius seach.
It does us all good though to take a trip ourselves to remind us of how it feels on the other side of this issue.

I find that I have to treat cancellations with the same level of attention and care as reservations. We require the confirmation number before we will accept a cancellation. I then issue TO THE PERSON WHO MADE THE RESERVATION a cancellation confirmation that lists any charges, if any, and states categorically that their reservation has been cancelled.
I mostly do this because I'm seem to be living in one long continuous senior moment.
smiley-char124.gif

It's like the comedian, Steven Wright said," You know that feeling you get when your leaning back in a chair and when you almost fall and catch yourself?.....I'm like that all the time."

I find that I have to treat cancellations with the same level of attention and care as reservations. We require the confirmation number before we will accept a cancellation. I then issue TO THE PERSON WHO MADE THE RESERVATION a cancellation confirmation that lists any charges, if any, and states categorically that their reservation has been cancelled.
I mostly do this because I'm seem to be living in one long continuous senior moment.
smiley-char124.gif

It's like the comedian, Steven Wright said," You know that feeling you get when your leaning back in a chair and when you almost fall and catch yourself?.....I'm like that all the time.".
Proud Texan said:
smiley-char124.gif

It's like the comedian, Steven Wright said," You know that feeling you get when your leaning back in a chair and when you almost fall and catch yourself?.....I'm like that all the time."
That long, continuous senior moment can be also summed up by:
"To stay healthy, everyday I walk five miles. Where the hell I am right now, I have no idea!"

smiley-char124.gif

It's like the comedian, Steven Wright said," You know that feeling you get when your leaning back in a chair and when you almost fall and catch yourself?.....I'm like that all the time.".
Proud Texan said:
smiley-char124.gif

"To stay healthy, everyday I walk five miles. Where the hell I am right now, I have no idea!"
Morticia said:
Proud Texan said:
smiley-char124.gif

I heard a variation of that one. "Grandma started walking everyday when she was sixty. She's 95 now, and we don't know where the hell she is."

Today's guests called at 6:45 to say they wouldn't be arriving by 7 but if I could tell them about how far away they were? I told them 20 minutes. So they said they would go out for dinner first and then check-in.

Joey Bloggs said:
In WV we also say hours or minutes instead of miles. Most of our roads are 2-lane twisty and hills. I am about 30 miles from the university but am 45 min door to door IF using the Interstate (the first 6 miles is between 15 to 20 minutes depending on whether you get behind a coal truck, logging truck, or a "blue-hair" (guarantee 30 minutes).
It now takes less than a minute to cross the New River Gorge. Before they built the new bridge we are told it took an hour - down a narrow 2-lane road to the bridge at the bottom and then back up the hill on the other side. Here if looking at a map and it looks like a shortcut you can just about guarantee it will take twice as long as the main route.

Back