Check It Out!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your breakfast picture looks good to! I like the way you use your antique dishes mixed in. What pattern are they, I like them (but then I'm a sucker for dishes!).

Your breakfast picture looks good to! I like the way you use your antique dishes mixed in. What pattern are they, I like them (but then I'm a sucker for dishes!)..
The dishes are Steubenville Pottery in the Sandra pattern. I found them on eBay and bought them because I was born there. The pottery closed in the late 60s. The goblets are Fostoria.

You were born in Steubenville??? So was Dean Martin. My mom and her sister go to the Dean Martin Festival every year.

You were born in Steubenville??? So was Dean Martin. My mom and her sister go to the Dean Martin Festival every year..
go to www.hsconnect.com They have an article today about the festival. Deana Martin does a show for it just about every year.
I grew up across the River in Brooke County, WV. The hospital was in Steubenville so I had no choice. I went to high school in Toronto, Ohio and was one graduating class ahead of Robert Urich. Now there was a NICE man!

You were born in Steubenville??? So was Dean Martin. My mom and her sister go to the Dean Martin Festival every year..
Hmmm I lived and worked in Steubenville for 5 years...no festival then..must have started it after I left.

Hmmm I lived and worked in Steubenville for 5 years...no festival then..must have started it after I left.
It started after they reconstructed the Fort. I left the area in1963. What year did you leave?

It started after they reconstructed the Fort. I left the area in1963. What year did you leave?
I left in 1982...they were just talking about doing the fort about then I think.

go to www.hsconnect.com They have an article today about the festival. Deana Martin does a show for it just about every year.
I grew up across the River in Brooke County, WV. The hospital was in Steubenville so I had no choice. I went to high school in Toronto, Ohio and was one graduating class ahead of Robert Urich. Now there was a NICE man!
gillumhouse said:
Robert Urich.
I will never think of him as anyone other than Jake Spoon from Lonesome Dove.

gillumhouse said:
Robert Urich.
The ultimate Spenser for Hire. He knew in high school that he was going to be an actor. He was good in sports, academics, and as a person.

gillumhouse said:
Robert Urich.
The ultimate Spenser for Hire. He knew in high school that he was going to be an actor. He was good in sports, academics, and as a person.
Yes, I remember him as Spenser for Hire. He was very good at what he did. But, he'll always be Jake Spoon to me...one of my absolute favorite movies is Lonesome Dove. I read the book once a year and watch the movie. Love it

Great improvement over the old site! Good job!
I tried pulling it up on my Smart Phone though & your very large photo headers are an issue with viewing the site on that device.
sad_smile.gif
There's a lot of white space above the photo. Just an fyi....
I have fairly large header photos on my website but they don't seem to create the same problem.

I tried pulling it up on my Smart Phone though & your very large photo headers are an issue with viewing the site on that device.
sad_smile.gif
I have fairly large header photos on my website but they don't seem to create the same problem..
I bet the smart phones have the same issue as internet explorer 6 in that they can't handle the absolute positioning of the navigation. (the part that makes the navigation stay put). Combined with the narrow width of the smartphone screen probably forces the photo below the navigation.
GH suggest to your Cousin that he can specify a different layout for smartphones in the stylesheet. That would be the cleanest way to handle it. (example: on the smart phone the navigation could go to a more traditional horizontal layout that takes up less space on a narrow screen)

sad_smile.gif
I have fairly large header photos on my website but they don't seem to create the same problem..
I bet the smart phones have the same issue as internet explorer 6 in that they can't handle the absolute positioning of the navigation. (the part that makes the navigation stay put). Combined with the narrow width of the smartphone screen probably forces the photo below the navigation.
GH suggest to your Cousin that he can specify a different layout for smartphones in the stylesheet. That would be the cleanest way to handle it. (example: on the smart phone the navigation could go to a more traditional horizontal layout that takes up less space on a narrow screen)
I had a very disconcerting thing happen when I visited my parents a few weeks ago. They have the font size on their computer set fairly large and my website was hideous. The top header photo is ok because, I'm guessing, it's a photo. But the text below was spread out across the screen even tho I have that 'text block' size set at the same width as the header photo. Ugly.

sad_smile.gif
I had a very disconcerting thing happen when I visited my parents a few weeks ago. They have the font size on their computer set fairly large and my website was hideous. The top header photo is ok because, I'm guessing, it's a photo. But the text below was spread out across the screen even tho I have that 'text block' size set at the same width as the header photo. Ugly.
Bree said:
That is one advantage of a fluid design vs a fixed width design (fluid designs are usually more challenging to do well though). Also different browsers handle text size overrides differently so sometimes the results are unpredictable. Yours actually doesn't enlarge badly at all. The text remains grouped corrrectly and so does the navigation. I've seen a LOT worse. Yours stays in tact (checked it in both IE and Firefox) Keep in mind that people who intentionally set their viewing text size larger are used to reading only three or 4 words on a line...so what looks hideous to you, they won't consider hideous.

sad_smile.gif
Bree said:
That is one advantage of a fluid design vs a fixed width design (fluid designs are usually more challenging to do well though). Also different browsers handle text size overrides differently so sometimes the results are unpredictable. Yours actually doesn't enlarge badly at all. The text remains grouped corrrectly and so does the navigation. I've seen a LOT worse. Yours stays in tact (checked it in both IE and Firefox) Keep in mind that people who intentionally set their viewing text size larger are used to reading only three or 4 words on a line...so what looks hideous to you, they won't consider hideous.
What bothered me (and this is me and my need for things to be 'square') is that the page spread out so far beyond the edges of the photo above. Luckily, my dad thinks the sun rises and sets on me, so he said, 'No, no, it's fine, we can read it very well.'
And, yes, it seemed like all of the formatting other than the width stayed together. No photos wandering off, no text wrapping oddly. But it wasn't every page, either. It was the rooms page and the things to do page that were the worst.

sad_smile.gif
Bree said:
What bothered me (and this is me and my need for things to be 'square') is that the page spread out so far beyond the edges of the photo above. Luckily, my dad thinks the sun rises and sets on me, so he said, 'No, no, it's fine, we can read it very well.'
And, yes, it seemed like all of the formatting other than the width stayed together. No photos wandering off, no text wrapping oddly. But it wasn't every page, either. It was the rooms page and the things to do page that were the worst.
But it wasn't every page, either. It was the rooms page and the things to do page that were the worst.
Oh...5 opening <table> tags and 6 closing </table> tags will produce goofy results like that. (that's what's happening on the rooms page anyway.)
Bullets can sometimes have odd effects like that in tables too.

sad_smile.gif
Bree said:
But it wasn't every page, either. It was the rooms page and the things to do page that were the worst.
Oh...5 opening <table> tags and 6 closing </table> tags will produce goofy results like that. (that's what's happening on the rooms page anyway.)
Bullets can sometimes have odd effects like that in tables too.
I really should proof validate the pages again. Thanks.

sad_smile.gif
Thanks, Swirt. I will promise him something nice for being a pain in the patoot. In reality, I think he expected some werinkles to iron out. I told him I was going to put it out to the innmates to get it "proofed" for bugs and gave the OK as long as what I asked him to fix was pertinent and not subjective. Thanks, guys. I appreciate the critiques that are getting the bugs out now rather than later.

Back