Child Policy Opinions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allowed one child for a so-called whole house, but we do have one room with non "whole house" guests now as well. The little girls (maybe 7?) is quiet and sweet around the adults, at check in which they showed up at 10pm without calling, she was above our room running back and forth for an hour.
Today, special breakfast which was easy enough as it was no "this" in the meal, and I was cooking it at that time. But I went in a moment ago and mom is at one end, and dad at the other end and no little girl. I mention to mom that we have ponds that are over her head, one is 6 feet deep. She is fully offended. "She is not out there," she said, "she is upstairs." I said she needs to be attended to, that is what I am saying, if she goes out and walks across the rocks in the middle she will fall in, they are only for looks. "She would never walk across the rocks" she replies rudely.
Oh and the people to the right said "We were out there last night and looked at the ponds and they didn't look that deep" arguing with me in a conversation that had nothing to do with them. I turned to them and said "we built the ponds, the first one is 6 feet deep.".
JBloggs said:
Oh and the people to the right said "We were out there last night and looked at the ponds and they didn't look that deep" arguing with me in a conversation that had nothing to do with them. I turned to them and said "we built the ponds, the first one is 6 feet deep."
Sorry this is also one of my mega bug bears - people who try and correct you about your own place - pardon?
Its the ones who say "have you thought about XYZ?" yes and we don't do it because of XYZ -
My favourite was people who said we should knock 5 and 6 into one room - pointed out that that made the front of the building fall off

Allowed one child for a so-called whole house, but we do have one room with non "whole house" guests now as well. The little girls (maybe 7?) is quiet and sweet around the adults, at check in which they showed up at 10pm without calling, she was above our room running back and forth for an hour.
Today, special breakfast which was easy enough as it was no "this" in the meal, and I was cooking it at that time. But I went in a moment ago and mom is at one end, and dad at the other end and no little girl. I mention to mom that we have ponds that are over her head, one is 6 feet deep. She is fully offended. "She is not out there," she said, "she is upstairs." I said she needs to be attended to, that is what I am saying, if she goes out and walks across the rocks in the middle she will fall in, they are only for looks. "She would never walk across the rocks" she replies rudely.
Oh and the people to the right said "We were out there last night and looked at the ponds and they didn't look that deep" arguing with me in a conversation that had nothing to do with them. I turned to them and said "we built the ponds, the first one is 6 feet deep.".
Kids are faster than any adult can imagine IF it is something THEY want to do, know they should not do, or are just being sneaky. The only time they move in slow motion is when they are told to do something. Unfortunately, it seems that parenting today means the kids raise themselves.
And anyone who has the temerity to suggest a parent should actually WATCH the kid is told they are wrong. A recipe for disaster.
gillumhouse said:
Kids are faster than any adult can imagine IF it is something THEY want to do, know they should not do, or are just being sneaky. The only time they move in slow motion is when they are told to do something. Unfortunately, it seems that parenting today means the kids raise themselves.
And anyone who has the temerity to suggest a parent should actually WATCH the kid is told they are wrong. A recipe for disaster.
Other innkeeper just laughed and said all you did was challenge that mother.
I should have gone to the father, I thought the mother would be more receptive. DH told me "we aren't baby sitting them let them do whatever they want"... I mentioned we are nearly a whole house, because that means their little girl is all alone up there on her own with MEN THEY DO NOT KNOW from two other rooms (one in the house, one in the cottage). Just sayin'...I raised two girls, I might be a little bit perceptive about that.

gillumhouse said:
I should have gone to the father, I thought the mother would be more receptive. DH told me "we aren't baby sitting them let them do whatever they want"... I mentioned we are nearly a whole house, because that means their little girl is all alone up there on her own with MEN THEY DO NOT KNOW from two other rooms (one in the house, one in the cottage). Just sayin'...I raised two girls, I might be a little bit perceptive about that.
JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
I agree with you JB for many reasons, a 7 year old whether it's a boy or a girl should never be left alone in a b&b, hotel, park, outdoors or whatever.

Yup, that is why we have a no kids policy...no exceptions. It only takes one neglectful parent to ruin things for everyone. If you are not totally "child-proof" then it is not a good idea to count on parents to monitor their children.

gillumhouse said:
JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
I agree with you JB for many reasons, a 7 year old whether it's a boy or a girl should never be left alone in a b&b, hotel, park, outdoors or whatever.
Breakfast Diva said:
JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
Totally agreed (except for the other innkeepers laughing at JB.) I say, "Sure is 11 feet but you can jump in with a measure tape to check it out for me!" This usually makes everyone laugh and joke about who's going in, etc.
Nowadays for your child safety don't leave them alone…. and their room probably wasn't locked so anyone could have walk in!

We have a no children under 14 policy. We have one suite that has a pull out sofa. I wish we had a strict no one under 16 policy. The young people that come are so bored. On occasion someone books a kid in withoutbtelling us. We usually go with it. To be honest I really hate the young 20 somethings that try to over crowd the rooms and get drunk.

We have a no children under 14 policy. We have one suite that has a pull out sofa. I wish we had a strict no one under 16 policy. The young people that come are so bored. On occasion someone books a kid in withoutbtelling us. We usually go with it. To be honest I really hate the young 20 somethings that try to over crowd the rooms and get drunk.

gillumhouse said:
JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
Holy smokes JB! I agree with you. A person can drown in a puddle. That child needs adult supervision at all times.
Once we had 2 kids swimming in the pool. All notices state kids have to be under adult supervision at all times. Where did I find the adults? Up on the balcony watching them from there. Time is not on their side getting from the balcony to pool side. I told them at least one adult must be POOL SIDE with the kids. They hemmed and hawed. So I yelled out to the kids to get out of the pool. NOW. That woke up the parents.

We survived.
I actually felt sorry for her, being the only kid with all these adults. But I didn't break out the cool stuff, because the mother was a pill. BYO cool stuff.
Another time we broke our rule the Dad came knocking on the door to see if we could play board games with him while he stepped out. Uh no.

We survived.
I actually felt sorry for her, being the only kid with all these adults. But I didn't break out the cool stuff, because the mother was a pill. BYO cool stuff.
Another time we broke our rule the Dad came knocking on the door to see if we could play board games with him while he stepped out. Uh no..
JBloggs said:
We survived.
Another time we broke our rule the Dad came knocking on the door to see if we could play board games with him while he stepped out. Uh no.
I knew you two would, I wasn't so sure about the parents, and very worried about the child….
I know I'm haven't been around long, so what was the story behind the playing board games…..?

Back