Clean Kitchen.......Innkeepers meals......

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The innkeeper's friend is a crock pot. Not necessarily the guests friend though.

~ stir fry chicken and veggies, basically a one pan meal.
i like to make a big lasagna at nite ~ reheated always seems to me to be even better than when first made and i freeze part. serve with a salad
also, roast chicken (again at nite) and use the following day or two.

Okay so the question was more about quick and easy meals.
We often do a baked potato with all the fixin's. If you need meat, you can include chili or diced ham. We have sour cream, ranch, diced tomatoes, cheese, bacon, green onion diced, ham,
Chicken in the oven - rice and veggie. They make a ton of steam in the bag veggies now, so quick and easy. When we have a ton of guests I tend to eat "old folk-like" where it is not casserole or sauces or very fancy, but just each thing cooked on its own and fresh. And like YS mentioned anything we make I make extra so there is leftovers for the next meal or lunchtime.
mixed-bag2-250_Full.jpg

My friend just showed me the niftiest way to do corn on the cob... Cut the top of the husk (hair) off, run water into the ear from the tap. Shake off excess water. Nuke in microwave for 3 mins. Pull off husks and hair comes, too.
No hair, no steam, no mess... very fast, very tasty. Corn stays hot until you husk it. I'm hooked!
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
My friend just showed me the niftiest way to do corn on the cob... Cut the top of the husk (hair) off, run water into the ear from the tap. Shake off excess water. Nuke in microwave for 3 mins. Pull off husks and hair comes, too.
No hair, no steam, no mess... very fast, very tasty. Corn stays hot until you husk it. I'm hooked!
=)
Kk.
I cook my corn this way. No big pot to boil just pop them in as you want them, there is not other way to go!
I also cook rice in the microwave - we eat sticky rice often.
covered casserole dish
1 C rice (I prefer Thai jasmine)
2 1/2 C water (a dash of salt to help it to boil)
cover and cook 20 minutes.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I cook my corn this way. No big pot to boil just pop them in as you want them, there is not other way to go!
covered casserole dish
Waaahhhhhhhh! I don't have a nuker!

haha ~ tidy kitchen? i like a big kitchen, like a clean kitchen, but do big cooking, make big messes, wear big aprons. clean as i go. food odors still wafted through the place but it was my home ~ so i didn't stress over it. often guests would peek in 'what's cookin?' it was all good.
mid week when it was usually quieter, mid-day, i'd really scour that kitchen, top to bottom.
wink_smile.gif
O.K. I am asking what meals do you all cook for yourselves, keeping in mind we all do not want a big mess but a quick good meal at dinner time.No slim fast .I arrive home at 4p.m. (check in time, sometimes)do this that for guest and eat too much the same thing such as,cheese crackers,salad,potatoe,etc. Any good quick food ideas ? ( No, no one comes into my kitchen).. Mary in Bridgewater, Va.
We eat what we "normally" eat. Usually grilled something either outdoors or on the Foreman Grill, pastas, and lots of nice big salads with all sorts of goodies in it.

<grin> I know exactly what you mean. We too have one kitchen, and I clean as I go, it would drive me nuts not to, I don't want to face a huge mess at the end of the meal.
If DH is not around, my easiest clean meal is steamed veg and rice. 1 saucepan, the amount of rice you like, a bit of salt, water to your first knuckle of your forefinger above the level of the rice (this is how I learned if from a Pacific Islander, it works for any amount of rice in any pot - really), then cut your veg, throw on top of the rice and bring to boil, slow, covered, to the lowest simmer, done in 10 min. Serve in one bowl with soy sauce. Minimal fuss and no oil.
-KathleenM

Yeah you can even buy the rice and veg together to steam for one or two people.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
covered casserole dish
gillumhouse said:
So get one already! Pick one up at a yard sale for $5, put it in the dining room, and call it a business expense.
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
covered casserole dish
gillumhouse said:
So get one already! Pick one up at a yard sale for $5, put it in the dining room, and call it a business expense.
=)
Kk.
You have seen my house - where would I put it and I do not think my eletricals would support one. The kitchen certainly would not.
Besides, Chef Boyardee ravioli is on sale for $1 this week and they even have a pop-top open so I am all set this week.

The innkeeper's friend is a crock pot. Not necessarily the guests friend though..
Joe Bloggs said:
The innkeeper's friend is a crock pot. Not necessarily the guests friend though.
I'm going to fire up my slow cooker for the first time in four years tomorrow. Is it not the guests friend because of the smell? I was thinking the slow cooker would be the way to go. I just don't have a lot of time to prepare food after doing breakfast and everything else. I usually open up an organic frozen dinner or go out to eat somewhere. The last thing I want to do is get the kitchen dirty again. I use the same kitchen for myself that I use to prepare breakfast. It is open for the guests to see and sometimes people will come in and chat with me. Guests don't need to walk through the kitchen to go anywhere but they will walk by the entrance on their way upstairs.

The innkeeper's friend is a crock pot. Not necessarily the guests friend though..
Joe Bloggs said:
I'm going to fire up my slow cooker for the first time in four years tomorrow. Is it not the guests friend because of the smell? I was thinking the slow cooker would be the way to go. I just don't have a lot of time to prepare food after doing breakfast and everything else. I usually open up an organic frozen dinner or go out to eat somewhere. The last thing I want to do is get the kitchen dirty again. I use the same kitchen for myself that I use to prepare breakfast. It is open for the guests to see and sometimes people will come in and chat with me. Guests don't need to walk through the kitchen to go anywhere but they will walk by the entrance on their way upstairs.
oceans said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Yes the smell, but it is okay, I mean it smells good, not bad, but it does smell. :)
It really is the greatest tool for us who cook cook cook.

During the Summer when we're busy, we tend to eat what I call Big Salads - heat up chicken strips (or beef strips) in a pan with onions, green peppers, and maybe mushrooms. Put on a bed of lettuce and add a small amount of cheese of choice, tomatoes, and dressing. Cold Big Salads are just diced chicken or turkey cold cuts and the usual salad fixings. A rotisserie chicken from the grocery will last for several Big Salad meals too. Sometimes I'll cook on the grill. My dh likes to have bread too, but that's it. I also do Chicken Quesadillas. In the cooler months, I'll do stuff like spaghetti, stir fry, crock pot main dishes. All stuff that cleans up fairly quickly and there's not that much stink.

I love my panini maker. Great for quesadillas, sandwiches, grilled meats. Everything just tastes better with them. Quick, fast and no pans to wash.

I love my panini maker. Great for quesadillas, sandwiches, grilled meats. Everything just tastes better with them. Quick, fast and no pans to wash..
SweetiePie said:
I love my panini maker. Great for quesadillas, sandwiches, grilled meats. Everything just tastes better with them. Quick, fast and no pans to wash.
What brand do you have? Or are they all good?
Riki

I love my panini maker. Great for quesadillas, sandwiches, grilled meats. Everything just tastes better with them. Quick, fast and no pans to wash..
SweetiePie said:
WOuld you recommend this over a regular sandwich maker?

SweetiePie said:
What brand do you have? Or are they all good?
Riki
Mine is Emerson, I got it at Big Lots for under $20. It is small about the size of a toaster oven, but they come larger. I never had a sandwich maker so can't compare.

Back