Cleaning rooms while guests are at breakfast-opinions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm..
mollysmom said:
what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm.
9:30. I want the rooms done before 1 PM, when most of the guests start arriving. Also, if she needs help, I don't want to be starting cleaning so late. The majority of our guests are gone by 9:30-10. What happens, tho, is that if they are going to be leaving 'on time' ALL the rooms will do that for some reason!
Right now everyone is gone. So it's ok today. But I was wondering about other mornings.
Do all the other B&Bs in your area as a standard policy allow that early of a check-in?
Most of our guests come to breakfast before showering, packing their gear for the day, etc.. it would be counterproductive to go in and fluff a room that fiftenn minutes later is going to get messed up again after breakfast.
I would perceive the housekeeper being in my room that early as trying to rush things.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Do all the other B&Bs in your area as a standard policy allow that early of a check-in?
Most of our guests come to breakfast before showering, packing their gear for the day, etc.. it would be counterproductive to go in and fluff a room that fiftenn minutes later is going to get messed up again after breakfast.
I would perceive the housekeeper being in my room that early as trying to rush things.
Yes, all of the other B&B's allow early check-in. I think we were the only ones hewing to the 3 PM check-in time. Most days I see guests checking in before noon. (I'm VERY centrally located in the 'B&B' part of town!)
I've had my room made up while I was at breakfast and it didn't really bother me, just that it made it hard for the housekeeper with all my stuff around.

what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm..
mollysmom said:
what time does your housekeeper arrive? our housekeeper is here from 11am -3 pm.
9:30. I want the rooms done before 1 PM, when most of the guests start arriving. Also, if she needs help, I don't want to be starting cleaning so late. The majority of our guests are gone by 9:30-10. What happens, tho, is that if they are going to be leaving 'on time' ALL the rooms will do that for some reason!
Right now everyone is gone. So it's ok today. But I was wondering about other mornings.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Yes, all of the other B&B's allow early check-in. I think we were the only ones hewing to the 3 PM check-in time. Most days I see guests checking in before noon. (I'm VERY centrally located in the 'B&B' part of town!)
I've had my room made up while I was at breakfast and it didn't really bother me, just that it made it hard for the housekeeper with all my stuff around.
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We allow early check-in if the rooms are ready or by prior arrangement. Otherwise we adhere to the 3 p.m. rule. It makes it harder on the innkeeper otherwise. Besides, most hotels don't allow checkin at noon. Why should we be any different? Store their luggage until 3 pm.? Sure no problem.

On the side of the innkeeper, tho, I don't want the housekeeper idling away while guests lounge around after breakfast. Some of them may not leave until 11, so that means the housekeeper sits for an hour and a half with nothing to do..
Bree said:
On the side of the innkeeper, tho, I don't want the housekeeper idling away while guests lounge around after breakfast. Some of them may not leave until 11, so that means the housekeeper sits for an hour and a half with nothing to do.
Put her to work with breakfast! Have her show up later.

Interesting question... if they're staying overnight aren't they always just 'temporarily' out of the room?

I guess I might feel uncomfortable knowing that I was downstairs and somebody was in there but in reality I guess it's no different than if I had gone out for the day.

I'm torn... helpful, huh? LOL!.
Mr.Design said:
Interesting question... if they're staying overnight aren't they always just 'temporarily' out of the room?

I guess I might feel uncomfortable knowing that I was downstairs and somebody was in there but in reality I guess it's no different than if I had gone out for the day.

I'm torn... helpful, huh? LOL!
Many guests race down to eat and then shower afterward. You are not freshening the room that early, just inconveniencing them for later on when they come back and the room will be a mess - as they messed it up again while getting ready for their day. Also if I came back from just breakfast and my bed was made, I would think that was rude.
They are temp out of the room, stepped out, not gone for the day - they are in the house - housekeeping s/b kept to certain hours so people expect the cleaner to enter their room. They would feel invaded upon, with personal items around they might not have out if they knew there were a cleaner. (This is assuming you didn't say you were going in during breakfast) even so, as I guest I don't like it. If I stayed somewhere that had breakfast time room freshening I would put NO THANKS on the door to keep them out of me room. We have to respect people's privacy. Hospitality is our business.

mollysmom said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We allow early check-in if the rooms are ready or by prior arrangement. Otherwise we adhere to the 3 p.m. rule. It makes it harder on the innkeeper otherwise. Besides, most hotels don't allow checkin at noon. Why should we be any different? Store their luggage until 3 pm.? Sure no problem.
I once stayed at a very well-known and prestigious B&B in San Diego. They solved the problem by simply locking the front door. When I knocked, I was informed that the room would be ready at 3 PM.

We don't usually have the housekeepers go in unless folks are languishing at breakfast. We do have two guest rooms that contain our housekeeper's supply closets, so I will tell them to go into those rooms to get started if the folks are at breakfast.
I don't see a problem with it, I just get worried that if they haven't showered yet you'll need to redo the towels anyway. My girls have gotten very good at folding during these down times, can they help you with laundry or something else if they can't get in the rooms?.
No towel redo here. If the guests were not planning on reusing their towels, they'd then have to ask me for more if the room was done while they were eating. The same really applies, tho, if they are rampant showerers. You know, when they arrive, then in the morning, then when they come back in the afternoon, then before dinner, then before bed, etc.
She's already a towel folding whiz kid. Today i showed her the sheets. BUT, there's no place to fold the sheets if the guests are still milling about. I use the kitchen counter for folding. Towels in the basement, so that works. Yeah, this whole scenario was what to do when everything else is done! Which won't happen once we're super busy.
It was nice today because I got out and planted the rest of my flowers, did some weeding, moved my chives plant to the herb garden and took some pix.
I think one of our guest rooms used to have the housekeeping supplies in it. The closet was all shelves. We took those out and made it a regular closet.

Deleted..
SweetiePie said:
Now I'm intrigued.
wink_smile.gif

mollysmom said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I once stayed at a very well-known and prestigious B&B in San Diego. They solved the problem by simply locking the front door. When I knocked, I was informed that the room would be ready at 3 PM.
Sounds like the perfect solution to me. If check in is at 3 PM..then that is when I show up.
I would like to know what part of Check in at 3 pm. No early arrivals which is confirmed to guest...do they not understand???
You are lucky they answerd the door. I would not have. We have long encouraged folks here to stick to their guns about taking early walk ins. Do whatever it takes. Put out a sign, keep the door locked..whatever.
If you want to accept them ....fine...do it...but if is not what you want, don't let them get to you.
tounge_smile.gif

Deleted..
SweetiePie said:
Now I'm intrigued.
wink_smile.gif

I just recalled a recent experience we had at a B&B. DW and I had traveled to College Station, Texas to meet our new grand niece. She's a fat little booger, but I digress...
We chose to stay at what was billed to be the best B&B in Brenham, a nearby city. We were eating (notice I did not say enjoying) our breakfast when the host enters at 9 a.m. and informs us that she is going to strip our beds as she had something she had to do later. For starters, we were appalled! We had not packed. Our stuff was on the bed. And though not spring chickens, "frisky" could have, for all she knew, been in our plans for the morning. Just really bad form.
I could go on and on about the deficiencies of the place, but that's another forum topic under B&B nightmares.
So, leave the rooms alone until your sure or as some have suggested at least give your guests the option.

I also say no. Sometimes they go back to the room for a nap (or frisky) or get a shower before going out. Also someone might have a priority calling for the loo and return to the room for that purpose and oops, here is the housekeeper.
Suggest an appointment with the dreaded ironing board or folding towels or dusting the common area or sweep the porches as a filler while the housekeeper waits. There is ALWAYS something to be done at a B & B..
gillumhouse said:
(or frisky)
Right after breakfast?!?!
wow.gif

LOL!
teeth_smile.gif

I also say no. Sometimes they go back to the room for a nap (or frisky) or get a shower before going out. Also someone might have a priority calling for the loo and return to the room for that purpose and oops, here is the housekeeper.
Suggest an appointment with the dreaded ironing board or folding towels or dusting the common area or sweep the porches as a filler while the housekeeper waits. There is ALWAYS something to be done at a B & B..
gillumhouse said:
(or frisky)
wow.gif

LOL!
teeth_smile.gif

Heh-heh-heh

I don't think any one expects someone to be in their room at that time of the day. I would stick to regular hours on cleaning.

gillumhouse said:
(or frisky)
wow.gif

LOL!
teeth_smile.gif

Mr.Design said:
gillumhouse said:
(or frisky)
wow.gif

LOL!
teeth_smile.gif
It's like a "nooner" but sooner.

No!! I often have guests who have breakfast and then shower. When I stay at a BB I get up the latest I can, get myself ready then have breakfast. In the rush to get to breakfast I've left stuff all over the place and I definitely would NOT want someone in the room until I was going out for the day. If there was a sign like hotels have "make-up room/do not disturb" then guests could make a choice I suppose. Why not have the housekeeper tidy the kitchen or sweep outside or tidy common areas while breakfast is going on. The best option would be to have her come in at check-out time.

I'm torn... helpful, huh? LOL!.
Mr.Design said:

I'm torn... helpful, huh? LOL!
Many guests race down to eat and then shower afterward. You are not freshening the room that early, just inconveniencing them for later on when they come back and the room will be a mess - as they messed it up again while getting ready for their day. Also if I came back from just breakfast and my bed was made, I would think that was rude.
They are temp out of the room, stepped out, not gone for the day - they are in the house - housekeeping s/b kept to certain hours so people expect the cleaner to enter their room. They would feel invaded upon, with personal items around they might not have out if they knew there were a cleaner. (This is assuming you didn't say you were going in during breakfast) even so, as I guest I don't like it. If I stayed somewhere that had breakfast time room freshening I would put NO THANKS on the door to keep them out of me room. We have to respect people's privacy. Hospitality is our business.
Is there a special character here for "I couldn't agree more" ?
I'd fill the page with them.
Well said.

Back