Cloth and Clay Mugs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
Does anyone here have mug from Cloth and Clay? Do you sell them? I just placed my first order and I am excited. They are awesome to work with.

We use them at the inn where I work. We also have them in our gift shop. They are quite a good seller. I think that when people use them, they want them. We have a couple of other things in our gift shop that we don't use on our tables and no one ever buys the items.
Months ago, there was one lady who used a mug for her cofffee one Sunday morn. She loved it.
She says to me, "I'd like to buy this mug."
Me: "We have a few other colors on the gift shop shelves, if you'd like to look. That way you can buy a brand new mug."
Her: "No thanks, I want THIS mug."
Me: "Ok, I can do that. Would you like for me to wash it for you before you leave?"
Her: "Nope, just put the total on my bill and I'm going to drink out of it on my way home!"
Me, after I walk back into the kitchen where she can't see/hear me: "Okay lady, whatever floats your boat!"

I love those mugs! We bought a few of them last Summer on our vacation. Matter of fact, I am using one right now from an Inn in Maine!

We had this discussion a while back and it was recommended to let guests use them so they will buy them. But if you get the TANKER sized mugs expect to go through tons of coffee and also some breakage.
I like them, and with more guests driving vs flying they could sell well. But again, you have to put the money out front to get a return.
How many could you sell to make a profit, or even get your money back?

I was hard to convince on the mug scene. I get cups free every time I turn around. Who is going to buy cups/mugs?
Then I finally capitulated and ordered a dozen from a WV potter - 6 to use and 6 to see if they would sell. I sold the 6 within 2 months and had requests for them all summer (he had pneumonia and then his Mom was ill and died and could not get more made last year). I expect to receive my new order in March. And will give him a new order at that time.
I think it was that they were locally made, held enough without too much, and had handles big enough for a man to hold comfortably is what made the difference. I think that Cloth & Clay are also hand-thrown and that is why people like them.

How much do you sell them for?.
YellowSocks said:
How much do you sell them for?
General operating rule on pricing is a 100% markup...so my mugs sell for $6 (when I can get someone to buy one). I have given away a substantial number of these mugs as 'thank you gifts' to repeat guests. I have sold, maybe, a dozen. But not the Cloth & Clay model, those are beautiful. Mine are plain white ceramic with the logo on them.

How much do you sell them for?.
YellowSocks said:
General operating rule on pricing is a 100% markup...so my mugs sell for $6 (when I can get someone to buy one). I have given away a substantial number of these mugs as 'thank you gifts' to repeat guests. I have sold, maybe, a dozen. But not the Cloth & Clay model, those are beautiful. Mine are plain white ceramic with the logo on them.
Bree said:
YellowSocks said:
You little beauty! Our guest used your mug last night and Jeanne's today. :) She travels for work so I like to get that marketing in there for y'all. Anyone else with mugs - we have to meet in person to reciprocate or give them, that is the requirement right? I think I just came up with that special clause.
smileystooges.gif

Back