Colbert Report Ai rBB

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think AirBNB has a good reason to exist, even if at times the prices can be a bit above the hotel average.
I used AirBNB just once, when I had to stay with my wife in Vienna for about a week, so we were worried about finding a good parking spot near the building. The host was cool enough to drive with me to a huge paid parking lot, show me how the system works, leave my car and drive me back to the apartment.
The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property..
dumitru said:
I think AirBNB has a good reason to exist, even if at times the prices can be a bit above the hotel average.
I used AirBNB just once, when I had to stay with my wife in Vienna for about a week, so we were worried about finding a good parking spot near the building. The host was cool enough to drive with me to a huge paid parking lot, show me how the system works, leave my car and drive me back to the apartment.
The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property.
That's nice, but here in the USA and I know in England, should the host be driving a guest and have an accident, they will not be covered EVEN IF THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR THE RIDE. This is because the guest is paying to stay at the property. I don't know about the continent.
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property.
That's nice, but here in the USA and I know in England, should the host be driving a guest and have an accident, they will not be covered EVEN IF THEY DON'T CHARGE FOR THE RIDE. This is because the guest is paying to stay at the property. I don't know about the continent.
I come from a country where we don't expect to sue people for everything that might happen in our lives. So that simple lift was very much welcome, and when I get into someone else's car, I'm pretty much familiar with the risks involved with that.
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
I come from a country where we don't expect to sue people for everything that might happen in our lives. So that simple lift was very much welcome, and when I get into someone else's car, I'm pretty much familiar with the risks involved with that.
We give people rides. We pick them up at the train station. We loan them bicycles. We let them walk up and down stairs and we have a pond. Liability is all around, but so are real, normal, responsible people. I can't let my life be ruined by a few crazies who see dollar signs when THEY have an accident.
We give people rides. We pick them up at the train station. We loan them bicycles. We let them walk up and down stairs and we have a pond. Liability is all around, but so are real, normal, responsible people. I can't let my life be ruined by a few crazies who see dollar signs when THEY have an accident.
I hope that you set up your business as a separate corporation. If someone sues you, you could lose everything. Especially with the risk of a kayak. If you have not informed your insurance company that you do any of this they will not pay out 1 thin dime if something happens.

The apartment itself was worse than described, but sometimes this one-on-one connection really helps, and you can get more assistance than from someone who is chained to his/her property..
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
Really, you actually got insurance coverage with loaner bikes? As much as we might like to loan out our kayaks or bikes, we have found that there are enough rental places around who can assume the liability that guests don't blink about not having them available on site.
We have given rides in emergency situations, but would not do it as a matter of course.
Silverspoon said:
Really, you actually got insurance coverage with loaner bikes? As much as we might like to loan out our kayaks or bikes, we have found that there are enough rental places around who can assume the liability that guests don't blink about not having them available on site.
We have given rides in emergency situations, but would not do it as a matter of course.
We don't advertise or offer rides from the train, but it's a bit over a mile away and we are nice, so if it fits the schedule, we will pick them up there.
We also don't offer bikes, but have loaned a couple times when asked.
DH loaned out the kayaks once. I disagreed with him on that, but he trusted the guys.
My river is too shallow by me for kayaks or canoes (we sold our canoe to guests as a surprise Father's Day gift for the Dad - they were in separate cars as he worked away from home - several years ago). We do not rent bikes - they are in the shed and if guests want to borrow then, a donation to the Lord's Pantry Food Bank is suggested. I will give a tour of my City once in a while. No, I am not afraid of being sued as I have no future. I do not have enough to make suing me worthwhile.

dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
dumitru said:
egoodell said:
dumitru said:
Silverspoon said:
We don't advertise or offer rides from the train, but it's a bit over a mile away and we are nice, so if it fits the schedule, we will pick them up there.
We also don't offer bikes, but have loaned a couple times when asked.
DH loaned out the kayaks once. I disagreed with him on that, but he trusted the guys.
we have a bike rental 5 mins walk and they provide helmets and route maps so happy to let them sort it - no water so that's not an issue - taxi from the station $8

Back