Comforters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishany

Reaction score
Our guests last weekend and this weekend pulled out the comforters from their closets. It's getting coooold here now.
The comforters were in those nice plastic carriers that they come in when you get them new. Well, needless to say the carriers are all ripped apart now.
So, what would you do now with the poor comforters who lost their home. lol
I guess I could place them on the bottom of the beds, and fold them up nice.
Right now, they are in big baskets out of the way in each room.

I am having comforter covers made. She is putting button on the top and a big zipper on the botton all the way across. I think this will make it easier to strighten them in the cover.
I am putting them on the bottom of the beds. When not not in use say the summer I roll them tight and tie them up. No good way to put them back in the plastic.

If the comforters go well with the beds, then folding them up at the bottom is a pretty look. If you fold them in thirds with the top edge facing the head of the bed, the guest can grab the edge easily and pull it right up over themselves.
I'm getting ready to go into the attic and get the duvets back out again. I just hate dealing with them so I've put it off.
It's annoying that the guest could not have taken the comforter out of the bag without tearing it.

If the comforters go well with the beds, then folding them up at the bottom is a pretty look. If you fold them in thirds with the top edge facing the head of the bed, the guest can grab the edge easily and pull it right up over themselves.
I'm getting ready to go into the attic and get the duvets back out again. I just hate dealing with them so I've put it off.
It's annoying that the guest could not have taken the comforter out of the bag without tearing it..
Can't believe you said that. I went up to each room, and folded each comforter in thirds, down at the bottom of the bed.
But I didn't place the top edge facing them so they could easily pull it up. I'll go up and do that now. It really DOES look nice.
Hint - even though they were washed, I wisped it with one of my perfumes (Wind Song). Just a few little wisps here and there. Beautiful scent. Not overpowering.

It's annoying that the guest could not have taken the comforter out of the bag without tearing it..
Can't believe you said that. I went up to each room, and folded each comforter in thirds, down at the bottom of the bed.
But I didn't place the top edge facing them so they could easily pull it up. I'll go up and do that now. It really DOES look nice.
Hint - even though they were washed, I wisped it with one of my perfumes (Wind Song). Just a few little wisps here and there. Beautiful scent. Not overpowering.
I have a 'seconds' duvet on my bed...in the guestroom this duvet (navy blue) was right in a window. There is a 'sun' line right at the creases so I had to take it out of the room. But that's how I have it folded, in thirds. Easy to reach down, half asleep and pull it up!

I have a 'seconds' duvet on my bed...in the guestroom this duvet (navy blue) was right in a window. There is a 'sun' line right at the creases so I had to take it out of the room. But that's how I have it folded, in thirds. Easy to reach down, half asleep and pull it up!
Bree said:
Me too. (On the fold, not the sun line...)
=)
Kk.

trishany said:
Please don't do that. If someone has asthma or certain allergies, it could trigger an attack. I'm astmatic, so I speak from personal experience. Also, guys (and I are one) really don't like perfumed bedding. And a scent that is "Beautiful" to you may be disgusting to another. Clean is good.

trishany said:
The comforters were in those nice plastic carriers that they come in when you get them new. Well, needless to say the carriers are all ripped apart now.
So, what would you do now with the poor comforters who lost their home. lol
Do they have to be kept in the rooms when not in use (summer time)? I invested in some of those vacuum bags. You can get the HUGE ones and put two comforters in each bag. Suck the air out and stack them in storage...no mice, no smell, smaller space. If you want, put a dryer sheet in with them. I do that with my winter coats/hats/mittens.
If you have to keep them in the rooms, then that may not be what you would want to do...not very appealing to look at :)

We use the big platic bins with the tops that snap on for storage. But we have lots of basement space. The vaccum things would probably be more space-effective.
RIki

My husband actually had to leave work a number of times because someone would come in with perfume that didn't bother others, but it made his chest hurt and would bring on other symptoms. He is chemical sensitive, so it isn't only perfume, but carpet, cleaners, most sprays, especially laundry soaps and dryer sheets, etc.
We don't have other people in the house, our bnb is in a different house. Some he can't be around.

We have a lot of clothing in "space bags" and while they are great for shrinking, I would say over the course of a week or two more than half lose their seal or get even a small pin-hole in the plastic so the re-inflate.
We just shut down for the season and vacuum packed the extra blankets and put them in our linen closet. Fit 3 on a shelf where only one would normally fit if not vaccum packed. This morning DW and I had a good laugh as we looked and the bag had inflated and packed itself tightly into the shelf space. It will be fun trying to wrestle that out in the Spring.
sad_smile.gif

i have to agree about not scenting the comforters with perfume.
nor dryer sheets either. to some, fabric softener sheets smell 'smokey' ...
personally, i like scent.
but guests are all different and i have had a number of guests who mentioned a dislike for or a sensitivity to scent or even an allergic reaction to scent ... maybe people are developing a hypersensitivy to scent because so many cleaning products are scented.
maybe i will give the spacebags another try. i bought them years ago when you had to attach these plastic things to the end of the bags to seal them and of course you couldn't get a proper seal. now the design is totally different and does seem to close up tight.

We have a lot of clothing in "space bags" and while they are great for shrinking, I would say over the course of a week or two more than half lose their seal or get even a small pin-hole in the plastic so the re-inflate.
We just shut down for the season and vacuum packed the extra blankets and put them in our linen closet. Fit 3 on a shelf where only one would normally fit if not vaccum packed. This morning DW and I had a good laugh as we looked and the bag had inflated and packed itself tightly into the shelf space. It will be fun trying to wrestle that out in the Spring.
sad_smile.gif
oh man! maybe i won't get the new spacebags!

sad_smile.gif
oh man! maybe i won't get the new spacebags!
Next time around I was going to give double bagging a try. Use a large, pull the air out, then put it in an extra large and pull the air out of that. Might make them more reliable.

Back