Commercial Internet Rate

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ice

Reaction score
Question. . . How many of you are paying commercial internet rates? Local company is wanting to charge me $100 a month for it. I told them to ( l * ) We are small and seasonal. Then they said I could get the residential rate if I don't let guest use it.
angry_smile.gif

We have "business class" internet service through our cable provider.

Get a router that has a VPN client and then get an annual subscription to a VPN like Private Internet Access. This will put all your guests out of your network on an encrypted connection that won't let them see what kind of traffic you have on your network at all. And you won't have to worry if they do something illegal, because it's anonymous at the other end.

We have a business account, but our company would allow us to have residential if we wanted. We choose biz because the speeds are faster and unlimited. We have 4 rooms and and they can all stream at the same time. We have it bundled with cable, phone & internet

Residential but they do send me info about the business rate with 2x the speed. So far we are doing fine at this speed, but if we start having more streaming, I may need to change.
Jon, thanks for the info, we should all be doing this to protect us! Now another thing to place further up my want list.

I didn't know there was a commercial rate Internet. We have a residential phone instead of a commercial line (outrageous expensive). We were and are a residence.

My home (residential) phone/internet/TV cable bill is about $250/month.
My guesthouse (commercial) phone/internet/TV cable bill is about $110/month.
Same Cable company. I have no idea why the difference. The home system has a few more channel add ons, but not THAT many!

I didn't know there was a commercial rate Internet. We have a residential phone instead of a commercial line (outrageous expensive). We were and are a residence..
gillumhouse said:
I didn't know there was a commercial rate Internet. We have a residential phone instead of a commercial line (outrageous expensive). We were and are a residence.
Commercial internet is $60 a month more, at least here it is with the electric company. I haven't offer guest wifi in the last 3 or so years. I can count on 1 hand how many asked for it. (I use phone for hotspot) Now we do have dish TV. If guest come on business they have what I have for their wifi.

We have a business listing with unlimited internet. They call it high speed, but not fibre optics in my part of the island. One business line, one fax to email line, no long distance. $75 a month. I signed up with Yak for the long distance and I can't get any better than that. I was worried about four rooms and streaming but everyone rates my internet (WiFi) service as great. I don't charge for it.

Business account, We recently bit the bullet and eliminated our phone company phone account and ported it over to the cable company for VOIP. In doing so, we got rid of the ridiculous business telephone account (I asked you all many questions before doing this, you may not recall - but people don't use the yellow pages anymore, they google, or google map or whatever)...so we now have high speed cable and wireless, before we had:
telephone
cable
high speed wireless
Combined the last two and finally all three now!) so we could get the FASTEST speed wireless. With everyone "streaming" now we needed it. We had to have it, and could ONLY have it going this route. There is a back up battery for the phone in case of a power outage (so now when I have had to reset the router I have had to get THAT out of there every time, which has been three times since doing this 1 month ago).
The cost would be the same but not the cable co sent out a notice of an increase, but we have faster internet now. But all of our eggs are in one basket, and the "redundancy" side of me no likey thisey.

Back