Complimentary Upgrades

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JB, I usually do this on the fly and tell them but it is not in writing. You do however bring up a very good point. Telling someone you are bumping them up and them seeing the value in $$$ is 2 different things, even if they do not look at it until they leave. The dollar value may hit home with them at that time.
I have been more leary in upgrading people lately. I have seen where I upgraded someone just because I could. Then next time they book, they book the same room as before, and seem a little disappointed when they get the room they actually booked, silently they were expecting another free upgrade..
We had a couple here like that. Actually 2 couples. One GOPO who kept bringing up to us how nice the PO's were because they upgraded their room for free. OK, buddy, what's your point? YOU booked the most expensive room, there ARE no upgrades from there.
The other was in-state coming for a dr's appt very early in the morning. They arrived and it was obvious she could not climb the stairs. We were empty at that point, so we gave them the best room for the small room price, plus, I think we had discounted even the small room price, so quite the deal.
Next time they wanted to rebook, they wanted the big room in season for the off season small room price (now we're talking about $75 difference). We said we couldn't and they were very hurt. And they didn't book.
We now have a couple here for 5 days who booked the smallest room because it was all we had open for all 5 days. I was going to move them after the first night, but the other room they could have had filled up. They seem perfectly ok and every day leave a thank you note & $2 for the housekeeper.
The other night we had 3 adults come in looking for one room with a tub. But they didn't like the one room we had with a tub. So, Gomez goes to show them out and the older woman says, 'Don't you have any other rooms open? You said you had 3 rooms.'
Gomez came back with, 'You insisted you needed a bathtub, there's not much sense showing you any other rooms because they don't have bathtubs.' He said she seemed really put out that she wasn't going to get a whole-house tour when she already sniffed at the rooms she was shown.
Morticia said:
Gomez came back with, 'You insisted you needed a bathtub, there's not much sense showing you any other rooms because they don't have bathtubs.' He said she seemed really put out that she wasn't going to get a whole-house tour when she already sniffed at the rooms she was shown.
Okay- here's a totally off topic question: are the men more likely to shoot straight without fear of being emotional?
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Okay- here's a totally off topic question: are the men more likely to shoot straight without fear of being emotional?
Not sure what you mean?
Morticia said:
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Not sure what you mean?
It seems to me that males just cut the emotional junk out of a conversation.
Would you have shown her the other rooms? Because I think I might have- just to be nice. Not that Gomez wasn't being nice, he just pointed out the facts. Lady needed a bathtub, why look at rooms w/out tubs? I mean, what he did makes sense. Totally. Just a gender observation.
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Not sure what you mean?
Would you have shown her the other rooms? Because I think I might have- just to be nice. Not that Gomez wasn't being nice, he just pointed out the facts. Lady needed a bathtub, why look at rooms w/out tubs? I mean, what he did makes sense. Totally. Just a gender observation.
A couple of different answers...I love showing off the house so, had she been NICE, which she wasn't, yes, I would have shown her all the rooms that were open on the off chance someone else in her party would come back without her.
But, Gomez said she had her nose in the air the whole time and nothing was good enough. He told them who in town has bathtubs in the rooms and she sniffed again, 'We looked there already.' Oh, just go away. Stay home if nothing is good enough.

JB, I usually do this on the fly and tell them but it is not in writing. You do however bring up a very good point. Telling someone you are bumping them up and them seeing the value in $$$ is 2 different things, even if they do not look at it until they leave. The dollar value may hit home with them at that time.
I have been more leary in upgrading people lately. I have seen where I upgraded someone just because I could. Then next time they book, they book the same room as before, and seem a little disappointed when they get the room they actually booked, silently they were expecting another free upgrade..
We had a couple here like that. Actually 2 couples. One GOPO who kept bringing up to us how nice the PO's were because they upgraded their room for free. OK, buddy, what's your point? YOU booked the most expensive room, there ARE no upgrades from there.
The other was in-state coming for a dr's appt very early in the morning. They arrived and it was obvious she could not climb the stairs. We were empty at that point, so we gave them the best room for the small room price, plus, I think we had discounted even the small room price, so quite the deal.
Next time they wanted to rebook, they wanted the big room in season for the off season small room price (now we're talking about $75 difference). We said we couldn't and they were very hurt. And they didn't book.
We now have a couple here for 5 days who booked the smallest room because it was all we had open for all 5 days. I was going to move them after the first night, but the other room they could have had filled up. They seem perfectly ok and every day leave a thank you note & $2 for the housekeeper.
The other night we had 3 adults come in looking for one room with a tub. But they didn't like the one room we had with a tub. So, Gomez goes to show them out and the older woman says, 'Don't you have any other rooms open? You said you had 3 rooms.'
Morticia said:
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Not sure what you mean?
Morticia said:
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Not sure what you mean?
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Not sure what you mean?
A couple of different answers...I love showing off the house so, had she been NICE, which she wasn't, yes, I would have shown her all the rooms that were open on the off chance someone else in her party would come back without her.
But, Gomez said she had her nose in the air the whole time and nothing was good enough. He told them who in town has bathtubs in the rooms and she sniffed again, 'We looked there already.' Oh, just go away. Stay home if nothing is good enough.
Morticia said:
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Emily Spiers said:
Morticia said:
Not sure what you mean?
I would have sent the old cow packing for the Best Western.
smiley-char092.gif

Just gave one to a guest who was never going to make it up and down the stairs. TOLD her what I was doing. TOLD her I was not charging the extra money. Nothing.
However, I am happy they won't be moaning and groaning up and down the stairs all night!
This was a room they didn't want when they called a couple of weeks ago. Yeesh.

Back