Consulting Existing Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh! It sounds as if I am underpricing my Aspire to Perspire Package! It is 2-nights with breakfasts, 1 lunch, and handouts and a cooking/baking lesson for $395 + tax.
Arrival night and breakfast they are guests and after breakfast they become innkeepers and workshop. They make breakfast the second morning. And yes, I have heard from people who attended my seminars - at least 2 have opened B & Bs and another hired me as a consultant to look at his home to tell him what he needed to do to make it a B & B. I have also mentored many others. That is what I am here for (still alive I mean).

Gosh! It sounds as if I am underpricing my Aspire to Perspire Package! It is 2-nights with breakfasts, 1 lunch, and handouts and a cooking/baking lesson for $395 + tax.
Arrival night and breakfast they are guests and after breakfast they become innkeepers and workshop. They make breakfast the second morning. And yes, I have heard from people who attended my seminars - at least 2 have opened B & Bs and another hired me as a consultant to look at his home to tell him what he needed to do to make it a B & B. I have also mentored many others. That is what I am here for (still alive I mean)..
gillumhouse said:
Arrival night and breakfast they are guests and after breakfast they become innkeepers and workshop. They make breakfast the second morning. And yes, I have heard from people who attended my seminars - at least 2 have opened B & Bs and another hired me as a consultant to look at his home to tell him what he needed to do to make it a B & B. I have also mentored many others. That is what I am here for (still alive I mean).
You may well be underpricing. MOST of the seminars I've looked at being a member inn for run over $700. BUT, that goes to paying for the 'talent' that comes in to talk. And for the lunch and dinners outside the inns (the inns themselves get very little of that money for the rooms). What you might want to consider is this...if you are the lowest priced package on the block for this, will aspirings look at it and wonder why you're not charging more? Like being the least expensive B&B on the block doesn't necessarily get you more guests.
Are you getting as many aspirings as you would like? Is your price per couple? I like the cooking lesson idea. It's a nice take-away.
I figured you must have heard from someone who had taken one of the classes you've done, which is why I asked that question.

i don't think there was info re interning on the should i try innsitting thread. i'm an experienced innkeeper ... and i think i could handle whatever came up on my own.
as in intern, you want to get what? room and board in exchange for your helping where needed? and you would have on the job training. sounds good to me.
a lifetime ago, taking secretarial classes, we all had to intern some place for a month. it was not for pay ... it was for class credit. i learned a lot, some of the girls did not. depends on where they were sent.
you might try this website there is a posting there NOW that would work for you. i think it sounds like a good idea ... if you are sincere, i could have used you in summers past!.
"If you have taken a "seminar" in running a B&B, you will need to forget most of what you learned."
This came straight from the site regarding one of the inns that is looking for help...
penelope said:
"If you have taken a "seminar" in running a B&B, you will need to forget most of what you learned."
This came straight from the site regarding one of the inns that is looking for help...
Totally disagree unless they are talking about a 'buy a B&B' seminar. If you attend a hands-on or at least innkeeper-led SMALL seminar, you will come away with invaluable info. (Even if you think the price was high, as I did.) I think it would be difficult to come away from a large seminar with the kind of info we did at a very small one (we were the only aspirings in the 'class'). Heck, we were the only guests at the B&B after the first night. But, it completely depends on who is leading the seminar and what their goal is.
Which is good info for aspirings...find out what the hosts of the seminar expect from it...Just your money? You will buy a property they have listed? You will be an endless 'market' for their services? Or that you will 'get' the essentials of owning a B&B and be able to make an informed choice from there? (Some attendees realize a B&B is too SMALL and that they are really looking at a boutique hotel or some such.)
I know a few folks on here lead seminars. It would be interesting to know if attendees of large, convention-style seminars feel they got the info they needed or if they felt lost. Have any of the presenters been contacted by aspirings who are now running their inns and what was the commentary?
I think it would be easier to host seminars than to host some guests. haha! But you don't resemble that remark at all. tee hee...
pita.gif

Do you know any innkeepers nearby that you have formed a friendship with as a result of being a guest at their B&B/inn? If so, you could approach them about a mentoring program. I did this with an innkeeper and worked for them for about 4 months. I worked as a housekeeper, evening innkeeper, and for their event component. I made less than $7/hour and had to travel a fair distance to get there. I actually lost money to work there!
It was more helpful to me in terms of what not to do, and they have a very successful business. In hindsight, I should have clearer with my expectations - I really was more interested in having a mentor and working alongside someone as opposed to being an employee. I had taken several aspiring seminars before I worked there, as well as a financial seminar. I was more interested in the aspects of how to juggle everything as the owner, not how to clean bathrooms (I already knew how to do that!).
It was a helpful experience though - especially since I had just about all the reservation problems in the first week that you can have: double booking for the same room, an entire reservation of 3 rooms cancelled out when it should have been just one room, wrong room booked, wrong date booked (they arrived a day earler than what was on the books), and wrong length of stay booked. All the errors were on the property side - they had reservation confirmations. It was trial by fire!
Best of luck...you may find someone!

Thanks for the replies. I don't know how I missed that whole thread on it from earlier..I looked, I really did.
confused_smile.gif
Maybe it was the mention of competitors that threw me, I hadn't even opened that thread. *sigh*
Anyway, I have read the books and the forums and I have gone to a local innkeeping seminar that was quite informative and I (and my DH) still want to do this. I do realize that shadowing (good word Bree!) would take alot of time and effort, especially weekends, but isn't that what innkeeping is all about?
teeth_smile.gif

I have looked into doing a vocation vacation, even before I knew about that particular website, but have a hard time with the amount of money it would take just to go work for the weekend, not counting traveling money. $1000+ or so isn't the kind of money I can just throw around. I believe the closest inn to me that offers a package like that is 4+ hours drive away..
cherry64 said:
Thanks for the replies. I don't know how I missed that whole thread on it from earlier..I looked, I really did.
confused_smile.gif
Maybe it was the mention of competitors that threw me, I hadn't even opened that thread. *sigh*
Anyway, I have read the books and the forums and I have gone to a local innkeeping seminar that was quite informative and I (and my DH) still want to do this. I do realize that shadowing (good word Bree!) would take alot of time and effort, especially weekends, but isn't that what innkeeping is all about?
teeth_smile.gif

I have looked into doing a vocation vacation, even before I knew about that particular website, but have a hard time with the amount of money it would take just to go work for the weekend, not counting traveling money. $1000+ or so isn't the kind of money I can just throw around. I believe the closest inn to me that offers a package like that is 4+ hours drive away.
This is my saying, and you can quote me on it for vocation vacations "It's a heckuvalot cheaper than buying an inn"
But you saw the cost involved, so perhaps you could approach one of the inns like you mention above. I do not see how you can do it without paying for it. This is a profession and the owner of an inn would be "training" you and DH.
Unless you want to clean all the rooms for the entire month. ? It has to be a trade of sorts, for what you are asking. Are you a masseuse? You might find some trades in that! I WISH!
Keep pushing the idea around maybe someone will pop up with something for ya.
JBJ said:
This is my saying, and you can quote me on it for vocation vacations "It's a heckuvalot cheaper than buying an inn"
But you saw the cost involved, so perhaps you could approach one of the inns like you mention above. I do not see how you can do it without paying for it. This is a profession and the owner of an inn would be "training" you and DH.
But I totally get what she's talking about. I thought the $500 we spent on a weekend innkeeping class was high (as it turns out, after I did more research, it WAS high). We didn't do any shadowing, the innkeepers just TOLD us what they would do in a day.
Then again, it needs to be repeated that if you don't have the money to do the research, you will have to find the money to pay for the mistakes you make. I don't think we were going to back off at that point, anyway. Even if the class was a disaster, I think I would have found another class with a different perspective.
If someone is spending the money to do the traveling to look at properties, why not combine the 2? See if the owners at the properties you are looking at would do a trade of sorts.
Bree said:
JBJ said:
But I totally get what she's talking about. I thought the $500 we spent on a weekend innkeeping class was high (as it turns out, after I did more research, it WAS high). We didn't do any shadowing, the innkeepers just TOLD us what they would do in a day.
Then again, it needs to be repeated that if you don't have the money to do the research, you will have to find the money to pay for the mistakes you make. I don't think we were going to back off at that point, anyway. Even if the class was a disaster, I think I would have found another class with a different perspective.
If someone is spending the money to do the traveling to look at properties, why not combine the 2? See if the owners at the properties you are looking at would do a trade of sorts.
#1 there is no better cash value than this forum right here! You can ask, and seasoned innkeepers ANSWER. HOW ABOUT THAT! It is incredible.
Or you can go get intensive classes at a PAII conference or regional or state conference. PAII being very costly to attend if you have to travel there. State and regional still cost $. But you do not have hands on experience.
If I hired an innsitter would I hire someone who took classes or helped you make breakfast and clean rooms? That right there is the proof in the puddin'. You can slam that on your resume and it sticks.
Day to day operations are more valuable to me than the training seminars. Sure when you go to OPEN your own Inn you need those classes! They are invaluable.
My quote is representational of the many innkeepers who buy an inn because baking cookies, sipping lemonade and entertaining is something they like to do or are good at.
Then they have something that is not so easily gotten rid of, and they get themselves in a bind. THAT is what my quote references.
Why would someone toss away their day job and buy an Inn and then realize it is not for them? This is what vocation vacations is about. Those wanting to change career paths. It is also a GIFT CERT idea for those who have everything. Work on a pit crew, run a bar and grill, Captain a sailing ship. It is a FUN adventure. And - unbeknownst to many of us, running an inn is considered fun! ha ha If we can only look back that far and recall it. (I am just kidding - it is fun. It has more oppty for fun than most jobs! It is what WE make it. That is what the beauty of owning your own inn is all about!)
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
#1 there is no better cash value than this forum right here! You can ask, and seasoned innkeepers ANSWER. HOW ABOUT THAT! It is incredible.
It is sooooo true!!! I read almost every thread on the old forum (going back to the beginning) and have read every thread on this one... and when I opened it was smooth, with solid policies in place. I felt comfortable and confident because of all the things I had learned by reading the forum.
It has been absolutely priceless, which is why I support this forum to the nth degree. Once again, kudos to Swirt and thanks to ALL the Wise Ones here to whom I am so indebted.
I am one of the seminar attendees that Kathleen has seen open an inn. My seminar was small, and therefore practically personal training for me, very informative. That particular seminar was led by Kathleen and another innkeeper friend of hers and it was fascinating to see how differently they each ran their inn. That is one of the things that makes this forum so fascinating--seeing the myriad ways we all have chosen to run our inns.
Anyway, I'd be open to a shadowing arrangement, but I'm not sure I'm large enough to make it worth the "intern's" time. They'd probably get just as much by coming and having a tour and an interview.
I forgot to mention that when I toured the inns during my research phase it was very helpful to see their forms... rack cards, guest registration, business cards, breakfast papers. Some inns had very little, another inn had a "menu" paper he used every morning to plan his meals and make sure he remembered everything.
=)
Kk.

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

I have looked into doing a vocation vacation, even before I knew about that particular website, but have a hard time with the amount of money it would take just to go work for the weekend, not counting traveling money. $1000+ or so isn't the kind of money I can just throw around. I believe the closest inn to me that offers a package like that is 4+ hours drive away..
Where are you located, generally speaking? How long of a committment are you talking about? One weekend? A season?
We live in West Michigan. We are unsure of exactly where we would like to own a B&B, other than it needs to be where there are 4 seasons. We love the snow.
shades_smile.gif
We do like Michigan alot and may stay in Michigan. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to run an inn for a while maybe a year or two, before we decide to buy one. Unless, of course, we find the "perfect inn". The biggest problem at the moment is the fact that we bought a house shortly before the major decline in the market and would loose alot if we try to sell now.
cry_smile.gif

i don't think there was info re interning on the should i try innsitting thread. i'm an experienced innkeeper ... and i think i could handle whatever came up on my own.
as in intern, you want to get what? room and board in exchange for your helping where needed? and you would have on the job training. sounds good to me.
a lifetime ago, taking secretarial classes, we all had to intern some place for a month. it was not for pay ... it was for class credit. i learned a lot, some of the girls did not. depends on where they were sent.
you might try this website there is a posting there NOW that would work for you. i think it sounds like a good idea ... if you are sincere, i could have used you in summers past!.
That's a very help website. Thanks!!

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Where are you located, generally speaking? How long of a committment are you talking about? One weekend? A season?
We live in West Michigan. We are unsure of exactly where we would like to own a B&B, other than it needs to be where there are 4 seasons. We love the snow.
shades_smile.gif
We do like Michigan alot and may stay in Michigan. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to run an inn for a while maybe a year or two, before we decide to buy one. Unless, of course, we find the "perfect inn". The biggest problem at the moment is the fact that we bought a house shortly before the major decline in the market and would loose alot if we try to sell now.
cry_smile.gif

If you like where you are, have you considered checking zoning and making your current house into a B & B? Why does it need to be buying an inn?
I bought a house and made it a B & B, Socks bought her house and made it a B & B. With the Internet and people using it now (Internet helped with mine but it took longer because not as many people were using it 13 years ago), it is a lot easier for a start-up to become a functioning inn.
Edited to say that by easier I mean getting reservations sooner. There is still a lot to do to open a start-up - but you will not lose money like you might if you sold now.

confused_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

shades_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif

If you like where you are, have you considered checking zoning and making your current house into a B & B? Why does it need to be buying an inn?
I bought a house and made it a B & B, Socks bought her house and made it a B & B. With the Internet and people using it now (Internet helped with mine but it took longer because not as many people were using it 13 years ago), it is a lot easier for a start-up to become a functioning inn.
Edited to say that by easier I mean getting reservations sooner. There is still a lot to do to open a start-up - but you will not lose money like you might if you sold now.
This house is really not set up well for a bed and breakfast. There would need to be ALOT of remodeling and restructuring. It's not very big and the layout just wouldn't work. A late '70's ranch with very small bedrooms. The township I am in is also very conservative and strict. I really can't see them approving anything as "contraversial" as a B&B. And not much for tourism or buisness until you get a half hour out from here.
I am open to converting a house, if the right one comes along though, just not this one. Thanks though.

Back