could this be credit card fraud?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UNBELIEVEABLE!! I called the number on the back of the card and they said they needed to talk to the card holder. REALLY? I repeated a code 10 and she said, yes, well its after hours, all our office people are gone. I said, so I suspect this as being a stolen card and you want to talk to the people who stole it. She said, well, um yes.
I hung up!! I was so mad!!! The guests ID was legit and matched and the card cleared, so keeping my fingers crossed. (she looked legit).
If I was using a stolen card and someone asked if I was the one who owned the card, of course I'd say yes!.
You are supposed to call your processor with the Code 10, they have a series of Yes and No questions you can answer so the customer doesn't know what's happening and they can connect you with security at the other bank. The phone number at the other bank isn't security, but actually customer service. Did they transfer you to security?
Nope, and had no intention to!

I will definitely call! They said they don't plan to check in til about 8 pm.
We have a plan. ... My hubby will take them out and show them the gardens and talk about the history etc... while I make the call. They will feed the fish etc..
If the card is stolen and I'm calling the police, I'll close the back door curtain. Then he'l know to be careful.
I hate this kind of stuff. I'm actually hoping they are just really bad at managing their money, and I don't usually wish that on anyone!!.
Sunshine I read your comments about your son. It could be that
the B&B rented the room out to
people who paid a higher price.
This is common in the B&B industry in California! For
example, regular prices get
TRIPLED in July because of
so many conventions, weddings,
etc. so a booking that could have been made several months ago at a lower rate is now no longer attractive to the B&B property.
It sounds awful, and it is, but
that is the real world depending on how popular the location is.
He was fortunate in finding another place and they were probably too busy to bother to
help him. Putting out stuff on
Social Media is a complete waste of time but helps the injured party. Those B&B could care less about Social Media because they dont get bookings thru it.
Just thought I'd explain.
I think you meant to put that comment on someone elses post... I didn't write that one about the son getting cancelled. Don't remember who did... so were both in the same boat! LOL!
Wait, I just went back and looked, it was Seashanty who wrote that one.

UNBELIEVEABLE!! I called the number on the back of the card and they said they needed to talk to the card holder. REALLY? I repeated a code 10 and she said, yes, well its after hours, all our office people are gone. I said, so I suspect this as being a stolen card and you want to talk to the people who stole it. She said, well, um yes.
I hung up!! I was so mad!!! The guests ID was legit and matched and the card cleared, so keeping my fingers crossed. (she looked legit).
If I was using a stolen card and someone asked if I was the one who owned the card, of course I'd say yes!.
You are supposed to call your processor with the Code 10, they have a series of Yes and No questions you can answer so the customer doesn't know what's happening and they can connect you with security at the other bank. The phone number at the other bank isn't security, but actually customer service. Did they transfer you to security?
Nope, and had no intention to!
Yup, that's why you call your processor, they have the magic direct number. It's amazing how they manage to put some of the worst people into CS jobs.

Back