Credit Card Processing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On ResKey, you can certainly include additional guest information in the "Reservation Notes" section of the reservation form. I'm using Authorize.net with ResKey and love it.
Edited to add: My one problem with ResKey is the lack of support for mobile devices as pertains to a customized online reservations page. I've been working on a mobile version of my website, but once the potential guest leaves my site the hit a non-mobilized version of my reservations page on the ResKey server. I understand John's dilema, in that it's next to impossible to program for every device, but there should be a way to have a simplified version of the reservations page for phones. Tablets are a non-issue (I've maximized my webpage for iPad etc.) but we get a lot of reservations by phone too..
Guess you need to change your website to a responsive type wordpress theme that responds to whatever device is being used.???? Is that a solution? I don't know??
catlady said:
Guess you need to change your website to a responsive type wordpress theme that responds to whatever device is being used.???? Is that a solution? I don't know??
Not in this case. When a visitor "checks availability", they are leaving your website and being tranferred to a secure server run by ResKey. The coding for the page is on their server.
Proud Texan said:
When a visitor "checks availability", they are leaving your website and being tranferred to a secure server run by ResKey. The coding for the page is on their server.
Would it work to have the mobile stuff handled through your own site rather than going to the ResKey secure server? I know there's a version of the ResKey stuff that you can make appear on one of your own pages, giving you much more control over the layout. It's still secure, but doesn't display the "https" at the top. But perhaps it could at least let you have a use-able version for mobile users. Most wouldn't notice the lack of https.
But I think it uses "frames" or something that may not be compatible with mobile browsers. I don't know. Just something I wanted to mention. At the bottom of your ResKey Reservation Page setup screen, under "Linking to This Page" you select the code under "Iframes" rather than the code that under "Direct Link".
I don't have a smart phone so I'm looking for the best combination of:
1. on-line booking service
2. Guest data repository
3. credit card processing
Thanks.
JeannineIrish said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
It's not for YOUR smart phone that you want a mobile website. It's for your GUESTS. Reports are showing that something like 50% search the web on their smart phone, and pretty soon that percentage will go up. A regular website does not work as well on a mobile phone.
Since I got the mobile website from John at ew3d I have had about 1/3 of my inquiries if not more come from mobile phones.
I can't wait til Availabilityonline puts out their mobile reservation page!
Riki
ew3d hosts my website so I may already have that. We are constantly getting calls from people I know are calling from the road on their smart phones. We don't always have rooms ready for last minute reservations especially if they are calling after 6 PM at night. Sorry I don't have availability !!
JeannineIrish said:
ew3d hosts my website so I may already have that. We are constantly getting calls from people I know are calling from the road on their smart phones. We don't always have rooms ready for last minute reservations especially if they are calling after 6 PM at night. Sorry I don't have availability !!
]
Ew3d will not automaticlly give you the mobile site - you have to sign up for it separtately. Look at mine from a smart phone and you'll see the setup. You can change the background color and adding pictures is easy since it automatically adjusts them. Easy peasy system. Go to their website and look at "innsmobile" and you'll see it.
RIki
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
Ew3d will not automaticlly give you the mobile site - you have to sign up for it separtately. Look at mine from a smart phone and you'll see the setup. You can change the background color and adding pictures is easy since it automatically adjusts them. Easy peasy system. Go to their website and look at "innsmobile" and you'll see it.
RIki
I was just looking at the Ew3d site. They're kind of pricey.
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
I don't know how they compare but they are hands-on and respond to any problems the day I call them.
I don't know if you are talking about the mobile site ($250/yr) or the web hosting business ($240/yr)
Add to that when I need help they charge me a pittance. (I do my own website)
RIki

On ResKey, you can certainly include additional guest information in the "Reservation Notes" section of the reservation form. I'm using Authorize.net with ResKey and love it.
Edited to add: My one problem with ResKey is the lack of support for mobile devices as pertains to a customized online reservations page. I've been working on a mobile version of my website, but once the potential guest leaves my site the hit a non-mobilized version of my reservations page on the ResKey server. I understand John's dilema, in that it's next to impossible to program for every device, but there should be a way to have a simplified version of the reservations page for phones. Tablets are a non-issue (I've maximized my webpage for iPad etc.) but we get a lot of reservations by phone too..
catlady said:
Not in this case. When a visitor "checks availability", they are leaving your website and being tranferred to a secure server run by ResKey. The coding for the page is on their server.
Proud Texan said:
When a visitor "checks availability", they are leaving your website and being tranferred to a secure server run by ResKey. The coding for the page is on their server.
Would it work to have the mobile stuff handled through your own site rather than going to the ResKey secure server? I know there's a version of the ResKey stuff that you can make appear on one of your own pages, giving you much more control over the layout. It's still secure, but doesn't display the "https" at the top. But perhaps it could at least let you have a use-able version for mobile users. Most wouldn't notice the lack of https.
But I think it uses "frames" or something that may not be compatible with mobile browsers. I don't know. Just something I wanted to mention. At the bottom of your ResKey Reservation Page setup screen, under "Linking to This Page" you select the code under "Iframes" rather than the code that under "Direct Link".
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
JeannineIrish said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
It's not for YOUR smart phone that you want a mobile website. It's for your GUESTS. Reports are showing that something like 50% search the web on their smart phone, and pretty soon that percentage will go up. A regular website does not work as well on a mobile phone.
Since I got the mobile website from John at ew3d I have had about 1/3 of my inquiries if not more come from mobile phones.
Riki
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
I don't know how they compare but they are hands-on and respond to any problems the day I call them.
I don't know if you are talking about the mobile site ($250/yr) or the web hosting business ($240/yr)
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
RIki
I do my own website too. I use Hostmonster.com and they only charge about $175 per year with unlimited free mailboxes. They are also very responsive. A mobile website can be hosted from the same ISP. As I understand it, you just have to include an autodetect script in the header and, if it's a mobile user, they are redirected to the mobile version of your site. The fact that you are paying double to host a standard and mobile site is criminal.
As has been mentioned, the biggy is the reservations page, which is normally out of our control as it resides on a different server. I'm really hoping that ResKey steps up because they are going to lose customers in large numbers if they don't.

catlady said:
Proud Texan said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
JeannineIrish said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
Riki
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
RIki
I do my own website too. I use Hostmonster.com and they only charge about $175 per year with unlimited free mailboxes. They are also very responsive. A mobile website can be hosted from the same ISP. As I understand it, you just have to include an autodetect script in the header and, if it's a mobile user, they are redirected to the mobile version of your site. The fact that you are paying double to host a standard and mobile site is criminal.
As has been mentioned, the biggy is the reservations page, which is normally out of our control as it resides on a different server. I'm really hoping that ResKey steps up because they are going to lose customers in large numbers if they don't.
$250 a year just to host a mobile site! plus your regular site! That is ridiculous. The hosting company I work with alot, we can just create a new folder for the mobile site and it is included in the cost. And most of the clients I have hosting on her site spend at make $150 a year. But as I said in another post. I know your hosting company and seems like they are going after the $$$. A separate mobile site is not needed these days if you do your website properly. SWIRT made the same comment in another thread. Sorry, but I think you are wasting your money.
What explanation do they give that you need a separate mobile site???

catlady said:
Proud Texan said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
JeannineIrish said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
Riki
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
RIki
$250 a year just to host a mobile site! plus your regular site! That is ridiculous. The hosting company I work with alot, we can just create a new folder for the mobile site and it is included in the cost. And most of the clients I have hosting on her site spend at make $150 a year. But as I said in another post. I know your hosting company and seems like they are going after the $$$. A separate mobile site is not needed these days if you do your website properly. SWIRT made the same comment in another thread. Sorry, but I think you are wasting your money.
catlady said:
You should go to their presentation at one of the conferences. I am not an expert and don't have the time to keep up with the changes in the industry. THis is well worth my money for the time that they save me. I also got a special start up price. I am sure you can create a great mobile site but it will be just that and not change with or have special features constantly added. This is more than just creating a site. I'm not going to argue about it.
From their website:
"Many mobile solutions involve a website much like the one you already have. You pay for a site to be developed, and when it's complete you deploy it to the web for visitors to utilize. With technology on the constant move, this is not an ideal approach. Blackberries, iPhones, Droids and Windows Phones are not created equally. Just like various web browsers handle code differently, these devices do as well. These platforms are updated frequently, introducing changes to the formula. Each time this happens, will your mobile website evolve to account for the change? If you use InnsMobile, it will."
And this is true considering how often I have to upload updates on my smartphone for Yahoo, Gmail and everything else - it is sometimes as often as once a month.
RIki

catlady said:
Proud Texan said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
JeannineIrish said:
2. Guest data repository
Thanks.
Riki
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
RIki
egoodell said:
Proud Texan said:
egoodell said:
JeannineIrish said:
]
RIki
RIki
catlady said:
You should go to their presentation at one of the conferences. I am not an expert and don't have the time to keep up with the changes in the industry. THis is well worth my money for the time that they save me. I also got a special start up price. I am sure you can create a great mobile site but it will be just that and not change with or have special features constantly added. This is more than just creating a site. I'm not going to argue about it.
From their website:
"Many mobile solutions involve a website much like the one you already have. You pay for a site to be developed, and when it's complete you deploy it to the web for visitors to utilize. With technology on the constant move, this is not an ideal approach. Blackberries, iPhones, Droids and Windows Phones are not created equally. Just like various web browsers handle code differently, these devices do as well. These platforms are updated frequently, introducing changes to the formula. Each time this happens, will your mobile website evolve to account for the change? If you use InnsMobile, it will."
And this is true considering how often I have to upload updates on my smartphone for Yahoo, Gmail and everything else - it is sometimes as often as once a month.
RIki
I will bow to whatever our expert SWIRT has to say on the subject. I just am not buying it....sorry.

ResKey users will now notice a new field at the bottom of the "cc info" section of the screen. It now asks for the card holder's country.
We tried to run an AMEX through manually the other night through ResKey/Authorize.net and after clicking "Charge Card" it reported back "Error 27 This merchant does not accept this type of credit card".
But we do. It's all set up correctly in ResKey and Authorize.net.
Got hold of ResKey and John said we have everything set up right at our end, that something must not be set up right at Auth.net. Called them and no, it's all set up right at their end. It must be a problem with Paymentech (who I'd never heard of). It seems a.net doesn't process cards, they just authorize them and pass it along to Paymentech to process the charge.
So, spent approx 3 hours in conference calls Friday with a.net, paymentech, and AMEX all on the phone together, all saying everything looks set up right and don't know why it won't go through.
The Paymentech woman finally got it to work, then a moment later she said, "no wait, it just cancelled!" An hour later she finally said, "we're not getting the full address info we must have from ResKey." It works for Visa, MC and Discover, but AMEX requires more info: the country info.
So John added a -- Country -- field to the end of the cc entry form and now it all works! Apparently this has been a problem system wide all along and nobody ever spent 4 hours tracking it down before!
I guess it was only a problem if you charge the cards directly through ResKey/a.net and maybe there are only a hand full of us who do that. But I suspect guests have been having AMEX refused all along and nobody ever mentioned it to us before! Well, now it's fixed!

ResKey users will now notice a new field at the bottom of the "cc info" section of the screen. It now asks for the card holder's country.
We tried to run an AMEX through manually the other night through ResKey/Authorize.net and after clicking "Charge Card" it reported back "Error 27 This merchant does not accept this type of credit card".
Got hold of ResKey and John said we have everything set up right at our end, that something must not be set up right at Auth.net. Called them and no, it's all set up right at their end. It must be a problem with Paymentech (who I'd never heard of). It seems a.net doesn't process cards, they just authorize them and pass it along to Paymentech to process the charge.
So, spent approx 3 hours in conference calls Friday with a.net, paymentech, and AMEX all on the phone together, all saying everything looks set up right and don't know why it won't go through.
The Paymentech woman finally got it to work, then a moment later she said, "no wait, it just cancelled!" An hour later she finally said, "we're not getting the full address info we must have from ResKey." It works for Visa, MC and Discover, but AMEX requires more info: the country info.
So John added a -- Country -- field to the end of the cc entry form and now it all works! Apparently this has been a problem system wide all along and nobody ever spent 4 hours tracking it down before!
I guess it was only a problem if you charge the cards directly through ResKey/a.net and maybe there are only a hand full of us who do that. But I suspect guests have been having AMEX refused all along and nobody ever mentioned it to us before! Well, now it's fixed!.
So do we need to "add it" as a field on our reservations, there is no COUNTRY field on my side, nor on the guest side in the address field?
or is it only on the auth.net folks pages?

I guess it was only a problem if you charge the cards directly through ResKey/a.net and maybe there are only a hand full of us who do that. But I suspect guests have been having AMEX refused all along and nobody ever mentioned it to us before! Well, now it's fixed!.
So do we need to "add it" as a field on our reservations, there is no COUNTRY field on my side, nor on the guest side in the address field?
or is it only on the auth.net folks pages?
Joey Bloggs said:
So do we need to "add it" as a field on our reservations?
Ah, I remember now. John added it manually at his end. I was thinking he added it to everybody's screen but I guess it was just to ours, to see if it fixed the problem (it did).
He said in the past he'd found that it was sometimes necessary to include country to get cards from foreign countries to go through but didn't know until now that it's required for domestic AMEX.
I'd say if you process AMEX through ResKey and also use Authorize.net, you should probably contact John and ask if he will add Country to your screen so guests don't experience frustration by having their card refused.

On the ResKey Website tab, under Payment Methods/Authorize.net, I have a radio button at the bottom that lets me turn "Show Country Field" off and on. That must be what John turned on that fixed my AMEX processing problem.

Back