Crowders, grabbers, hoarders

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a call from a fellow innkeeper for a "consult" this morning.....she needed a shoulder to cry on and some suggestions. Seems that a fellow called in Feb to book her entire 5 rooms for 2 nights this weekend. They have been going back and forth for months over who was going in which rooms. Like us, she is has an antique home and does not accept children. No mention of children in the ensuing room discussions. But, (and you already can guess what's next can't you?), the gang shows up with two little ones in tow.
His comment, "Well if we rented the whole place we should be able to bring our kids" She has never had 4 people in one room and is livid!
Grabbers for sure..
The least there should be is an upcharge for the extra people they brought. Same as if they showed up with 2 extra adults.
All of these things are learning experiences for us. NAIL THE GUESTS DOWN on EXACTLY how many people are coming, no more allowed in the door than the original number, and the number of children included in that number.
They did not, as they assume, RENT A HOUSE. They rented x number of rooms at an inn.
Here's my guess...everything will work out fine. And next time someone calls to rent every room she will be ready for them!
I think you are correct...she just feels like she has been "played" and I can't blame her. Of course the gang stayed and she made do. She will definitely charge for 2 extra heads and, out of concern for her breakables, take a cc imprint as security deposit for any damage. She is not set up for kids....no place to play, little trinkets here and there, a garden full of flowers just waiting to be trampled. Thank goodness they are just staying 2 nights.
Even when we make it perfectly clear that the reservation is for 2 adults only, the grabbers will see an opening and WHAMO....there is a 3rd person in the cottage. It has happened to us. We learned our lesson. No more brides, period.
We experience the 'surprise' extra guest with our room with a private entrance. We see them leave. They never show their faces in the inn. It's a pain.
Madeleine said:
We experience the 'surprise' extra guest with our room with a private entrance. We see them leave. They never show their faces in the inn. It's a pain.
After that ordeal with BD and the "Stepfather" I told Dh that it needs to be a law or something that we see the other person when someone checks into a room (with outside entrance). I really got upset as there were at least two times I never saw the people, AT ALL! They arrived late, and skipped breakfast, and left. I don't like it!
I see the point on one side, but I also know that some LGBT couples may be particulary shy and have one partner hide, unsure of your or other innkeeper reactions.
I don't know that abreviation but we get that sometimes with gay couples (im guessing thats what you mean) for myself don't give a monkeys, but you get the other half is in the car, town, shopping whatever and im checking in, - usually they come down for breakfast sometimes not.
Its just sad in my opinion that they feel its necessary to hide and makes me wonder how they have been treated in other places that they feel its necessary.
LGBT - Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgendered
It's very difficult for some to stand tall. And so they hide because they are afraid of being judged by others. Or worse, in some cases refused a room, get a lecture or have someone insist on giving them a room with two beds.
Most of us don't care at all. Part of being an innkeeper. But you do hear the stories from time to time. And of course, it takes everyone some time to be strong enough to approach ever case with your head held high.

Got a call from a fellow innkeeper for a "consult" this morning.....she needed a shoulder to cry on and some suggestions. Seems that a fellow called in Feb to book her entire 5 rooms for 2 nights this weekend. They have been going back and forth for months over who was going in which rooms. Like us, she is has an antique home and does not accept children. No mention of children in the ensuing room discussions. But, (and you already can guess what's next can't you?), the gang shows up with two little ones in tow.
His comment, "Well if we rented the whole place we should be able to bring our kids" She has never had 4 people in one room and is livid!
Grabbers for sure..
The least there should be is an upcharge for the extra people they brought. Same as if they showed up with 2 extra adults.
All of these things are learning experiences for us. NAIL THE GUESTS DOWN on EXACTLY how many people are coming, no more allowed in the door than the original number, and the number of children included in that number.
They did not, as they assume, RENT A HOUSE. They rented x number of rooms at an inn.
Here's my guess...everything will work out fine. And next time someone calls to rent every room she will be ready for them!
I think you are correct...she just feels like she has been "played" and I can't blame her. Of course the gang stayed and she made do. She will definitely charge for 2 extra heads and, out of concern for her breakables, take a cc imprint as security deposit for any damage. She is not set up for kids....no place to play, little trinkets here and there, a garden full of flowers just waiting to be trampled. Thank goodness they are just staying 2 nights.
Even when we make it perfectly clear that the reservation is for 2 adults only, the grabbers will see an opening and WHAMO....there is a 3rd person in the cottage. It has happened to us. We learned our lesson. No more brides, period.
Madeleine said:
After that ordeal with BD and the "Stepfather" I told Dh that it needs to be a law or something that we see the other person when someone checks into a room (with outside entrance). I really got upset as there were at least two times I never saw the people, AT ALL! They arrived late, and skipped breakfast, and left. I don't like it!
I see the point on one side, but I also know that some LGBT couples may be particulary shy and have one partner hide, unsure of your or other innkeeper reactions.
I don't know that abreviation but we get that sometimes with gay couples (im guessing thats what you mean) for myself don't give a monkeys, but you get the other half is in the car, town, shopping whatever and im checking in, - usually they come down for breakfast sometimes not.
Its just sad in my opinion that they feel its necessary to hide and makes me wonder how they have been treated in other places that they feel its necessary.
It's very difficult for some to stand tall. And so they hide because they are afraid of being judged by others. Or worse, in some cases refused a room, get a lecture or have someone insist on giving them a room with two beds.
Most of us don't care at all. Part of being an innkeeper. But you do hear the stories from time to time. And of course, it takes everyone some time to be strong enough to approach ever case with your head held high.
Honey in my town we have the annual transvestite convention and the Anne Summers convention where their reps have to wear their outfits (ann summers is a sex shop chain) last year the theme was air stewardeses which at least kept the dodgy parts covered up! After seeing an army of French Maids you never blink at anything every again!

Grabbers for sure..
Madeleine said:
Honey in my town we have the annual transvestite convention and the Anne Summers convention where their reps have to wear their outfits (ann summers is a sex shop chain) last year the theme was air stewardeses which at least kept the dodgy parts covered up! After seeing an army of French Maids you never blink at anything every again!
I wanna be there to see that!

Grabbers for sure..
If they rented all my rooms, I would not be upset about the additional kids. Take away the breakables, charge them extra for the kids.
Now, if they have rented just 1 room and there's no kids allowed, then like the couple I had a two weeks ago, they called from the car on their way in, I heard kids in the background, I told them their reservation was for 2 adults and they clicked that they read and agreed, so NO they could not stay here and they had to pay for their room for both nights of the reservation. Their online reservation said 2 adults and 0 kids.
Too bad, so sad.....READ THE RULES AND THE RESERVATION FORM!!
I'm sure that is exactly what they ended up doing. But, the innkeeper still felt like she had been "taken". In their location it's a stretch for them to take as many people as they do, with water and septic issues, as well as maximum occupancy limits. Can't blame her for being upset. Her website clearly states that kids are not allowed.
I have refused a family showing up with 3 children. It clearly states No children 13 and under. I am not set up for younger children.
Tryed that it did not work. This man showed up with the children hidden in the van!!!!

Grabbers for sure..
If they rented all my rooms, I would not be upset about the additional kids. Take away the breakables, charge them extra for the kids.
Now, if they have rented just 1 room and there's no kids allowed, then like the couple I had a two weeks ago, they called from the car on their way in, I heard kids in the background, I told them their reservation was for 2 adults and they clicked that they read and agreed, so NO they could not stay here and they had to pay for their room for both nights of the reservation. Their online reservation said 2 adults and 0 kids.
Too bad, so sad.....READ THE RULES AND THE RESERVATION FORM!!
I'm sure that is exactly what they ended up doing. But, the innkeeper still felt like she had been "taken". In their location it's a stretch for them to take as many people as they do, with water and septic issues, as well as maximum occupancy limits. Can't blame her for being upset. Her website clearly states that kids are not allowed.
I have refused a family showing up with 3 children. It clearly states No children 13 and under. I am not set up for younger children.
Tryed that it did not work. This man showed up with the children hidden in the van!!!!
I would have to wonder why anyone would go to a B&B and try to HIDE their kids! How big do they think these places are that no one would see the kids???
Go to a hotel. Sneak them in the back door.

Grabbers for sure..
Madeleine said:
I wanna be there to see that!
Believe me you don't! at least the transvestites are well groomed and presented!

Grabbers for sure..
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Here's an example of behavior not acceptable... do a TA search for pana(space)sea(space)ah bed and breakfast in oregon. I doubt they'll get many LGBT guests after this.

I am going to block people on this thread, I don't need to read this rubbish. Thank you. That is all I am saying.

Grabbers for sure..
Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Here's an example of behavior not acceptable... do a TA search for pana(space)sea(space)ah bed and breakfast in oregon. I doubt they'll get many LGBT guests after this.
Its probably for the best and it means the rest of us hopefully will benefit from the pink pound spend.
When I worked at a large hotel they were activally going after the LGBT market wasn't something the other hotels had thought of an it was very lucrative.
Same as Disabled customers can be a very good market and is very much over looked.

Back