Darn it - I got super snippy with guests last night

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one time I made a remark to guests who arrived at 10:30pm without calling, they gave us our only bad review on Tripadvisor. They made stuff up to get back at me. Now if they arrive really late my husband greets them; I'm not a good actress so find it hard to be pleasant that late.
Some people have never stayed at a B&B and for some reason don't understand that we don't have staff. If we get up at 6AM to make breakfast when do they think we relax?.
When do they think you relax ???
Well - you love getting up early and cooking is your passion, especially when you haven't got to eat it. Once you've amused yourself making everyone comfortable in the dining room you go and sit on your front porch with a nice cup of tea while the rooms get cleaned (all you have to do is wiggle your nose - right?). After a leisurely lunch, you call your publicist or your accountant to make sure all your advertising and bookeeping is up to date. You then take some time (and effort) to freshen up and put on your best frock and heels so you'll "look the part" as guests arrive to check-in (after all it is YOUR place) Don't forget to let them know that there are refreshments in the dining room and that there will be canapes in the living room at 6:00 for cocktail hour.
Luckily, you LOVE to keep your frock and high-heels on all the time and not eating dinner helps you keep your girlish figure so it's no problem at all if guests arrive just after midnight - you've probably just finished playing bridge with your neighbours and because you were able to relax and socialize all day you are sooo looking forward to getting up early again tomorrow.

The one time I made a remark to guests who arrived at 10:30pm without calling, they gave us our only bad review on Tripadvisor. They made stuff up to get back at me. Now if they arrive really late my husband greets them; I'm not a good actress so find it hard to be pleasant that late.
Some people have never stayed at a B&B and for some reason don't understand that we don't have staff. If we get up at 6AM to make breakfast when do they think we relax?.
Well - you love getting up early and cooking is your passion, especially when you haven't got to eat it. Once you've amused yourself making everyone comfortable in the dining room you go and sit on your front porch with a nice cup of tea while the rooms get cleaned (all you have to do is wiggle your nose - right?). After a leisurely lunch, you call your publicist or your accountant to make sure all your advertising and bookeeping is up to date. You then take some time (and effort) to freshen up and put on your best frock and heels so you'll "look the part" as guests arrive to check-in (after all it is YOUR place) Don't forget to let them know that there are refreshments in the dining room and that there will be canapes in the living room at 6:00 for cocktail hour.
Luckily, you LOVE to keep your frock and high-heels on all the time and not eating dinner helps you keep your girlish figure so it's no problem at all if guests arrive just after midnight - you've probably just finished playing bridge with your neighbours and because you were able to relax and socialize all day you are sooo looking forward to getting up early again tomorrow.
The simple answer is that they don't know and/or care WHEN or even IF we relax...as long as they all get exactly what they want exactly when they want it they'll be fine. Whee!

I'm with you right up until the frock and heels. I haven't worn a frock in eons. And I don't own heels. I actually bought 'nice' clothes but I hate changing every couple of hours...nice clothes to serve brekkie, crap clothes to clean rooms, nice clothes to greet guests, crap clothes to lounge around, jammies.
If guests would stick with the program and show up when they're supposed to, I MIGHT try. If they don't, I can't.
Yesterday I was ironing in the inn dining room in my bare feet when we got a walk-in. Oy. The room they wanted wasn't made up. Oy. They said they called. And, by golly there IS a message on the machine. I must have been trying to squeeze in a shower, what was I thinking?

That's awful, to make things up like that. It's amazing the recollection people sometimes have, they quote themselves and it sounds nothing like what they said to you to your face.
We have had guests arrive many times after 11 PM. Sometimes they tell us (like the one who wanted to arrive at 3AM) and sometimes they don't. Luckily we have one of those numeric keypads we program for each guest, so I can leave them a note on the door and they usually figure it out.
Though, we have had one or two ring the doorbell after we are in bed. Thankfully, they have all been quite forgiving when I say that I will give them more information in the morning as I have to get back to sleep. But it is amazing how many think that we will be able to check them in at late hours.

Here, Here. More and more people are venturing for the first time in to B&B land (which is a good thing) and they treat us as if we were a full service hotel, or a motel. (which is when we start to educate them)
We try to coach prosepective guests over the phone, telling them we are a Family Run Home Business, and respond to their online inquiries with as much information as we can.
Still, people will treat you like a maid or consierge, and I wonder how they treat staff in a larger establishement?
The rules-and-boundries issues are always difficult. Giving the guests both upon their confirmation helps. That way when they do show up after check in - you can make sure they have a copy of their confirmation letter on their bed!
Doesn't necessarily stop the now ubiquitous nasty trip advisor review, but you can now respond quicky to the TA review with documentation...
Sigh. I didn't think it would be so nasty with a B&B operation. I think the annonymous review syndrome skews the relationship between guest and innkeeper - indeed, between all service providers and clients.

Here, Here. More and more people are venturing for the first time in to B&B land (which is a good thing) and they treat us as if we were a full service hotel, or a motel. (which is when we start to educate them)
We try to coach prosepective guests over the phone, telling them we are a Family Run Home Business, and respond to their online inquiries with as much information as we can.
Still, people will treat you like a maid or consierge, and I wonder how they treat staff in a larger establishement?
The rules-and-boundries issues are always difficult. Giving the guests both upon their confirmation helps. That way when they do show up after check in - you can make sure they have a copy of their confirmation letter on their bed!
Doesn't necessarily stop the now ubiquitous nasty trip advisor review, but you can now respond quicky to the TA review with documentation...
Sigh. I didn't think it would be so nasty with a B&B operation. I think the annonymous review syndrome skews the relationship between guest and innkeeper - indeed, between all service providers and clients.
Basil Fawlty said:
YES! I have started doing this. I also emphasize in the note I leave them "We're sorry we missed you during our 3-6 pm check in period"...sometimes it actually clicks and they are like "Oh, I was supposed to be here by 6?".
Most times, it's not intentional. They are traveling, and they are just not worried about you or your policies.

My note never says sorry just a great big WELCOME SO AND SO! Then at the bottom it states - our check in time is such and such and is self check in after that time frame. Thank you. But so far all of those have called or told me at time of booking, so it is just there.
People appreciate being able to not scream out of someplace to get here early. I KNOW I DO! It is not a curse, it is an amenity, I don't care what the Paii forum "service service 24 hours a day beck and call" innkeepers say. I NEED TO SURVIVE, I can't on NO SLEEP. There is not "staff" like said here, it is the way it is, the way we manage makes everyone happier. :)

My note never says sorry just a great big WELCOME SO AND SO! Then at the bottom it states - our check in time is such and such and is self check in after that time frame. Thank you. But so far all of those have called or told me at time of booking, so it is just there.
People appreciate being able to not scream out of someplace to get here early. I KNOW I DO! It is not a curse, it is an amenity, I don't care what the Paii forum "service service 24 hours a day beck and call" innkeepers say. I NEED TO SURVIVE, I can't on NO SLEEP. There is not "staff" like said here, it is the way it is, the way we manage makes everyone happier. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
People appreciate being able to not scream out of someplace to get here early. I KNOW I DO! It is not a curse, it is an amenity, I don't care what the Paii forum "service service 24 hours a day beck and call" innkeepers say. I NEED TO SURVIVE, I can't on NO SLEEP. There is not "staff" like said here, it is the way it is, the way we manage makes everyone happier. :)
Allowing late check-in without recriminations, grumpy innkeeper, innkeeper in jammies, etc IS a perk or an amenity. Plenty of places don't allow late check-ins at all. Altho I know some guests would be better led by the hand to their rooms, most of them can be polite, quiet and find everything on their own without a guide.

People appreciate being able to not scream out of someplace to get here early. I KNOW I DO! It is not a curse, it is an amenity, I don't care what the Paii forum "service service 24 hours a day beck and call" innkeepers say. I NEED TO SURVIVE, I can't on NO SLEEP. There is not "staff" like said here, it is the way it is, the way we manage makes everyone happier. :).
one nights bad sleep makes me a nightmare! my next door B&B had some sort of school trip and they were outside in the car park calling to each other "are you ready? where is jim etc" woke me up and I have a family with little children in as well in the room above me. This noise went on at least 20 mins called the police and the owner to make them shut up cos they won't have just woken me! was sooo cross then DH and I couldn't sleep properly then to be woken by the young family about 6! and my extractor hood has blown up and you can't get parts and I am going to have to buy a new one and I am super cross!

Joey Bloggs said:
Allowing late check-in without recriminations, grumpy innkeeper, innkeeper in jammies, etc IS a perk or an amenity. Plenty of places don't allow late check-ins at all. Altho I know some guests would be better led by the hand to their rooms, most of them can be polite, quiet and find everything on their own without a guide.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
IF, and there is always an if, IF you are a getaway from a big city and people only go there and really do not do anything else, OR, there is always an OR, or they are elderly, then things might be different. For us 75% of the guests are self sufficient and do not require hand holding, I know other "destinations" where they guests are uber needy and DO REQUIRE HANDHOLDING. So then the If and the Or would come into play.
CALF guests delayed plane, GA guests and FLA guests delayed flights due to storms, I-81 has constructions delays...so people are relieved to know they will not have a host tapping her pen on the desk disgusted at them for arriving late. So that works for us. But not for foreign guests, not for GROUPS, not for elderly, so there are always exceptions.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
IF, and there is always an if, IF you are a getaway from a big city and people only go there and really do not do anything else, OR, there is always an OR, or they are elderly, then things might be different. For us 75% of the guests are self sufficient and do not require hand holding, I know other "destinations" where they guests are uber needy and DO REQUIRE HANDHOLDING. So then the If and the Or would come into play.
CALF guests delayed plane, GA guests and FLA guests delayed flights due to storms, I-81 has constructions delays...so people are relieved to know they will not have a host tapping her pen on the desk disgusted at them for arriving late. So that works for us. But not for foreign guests, not for GROUPS, not for elderly, so there are always exceptions.
'Foreign' as in English is not their strong suit? So you want to be sure they 'get' everything by showing it to them?

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
'Foreign' as in English is not their strong suit? So you want to be sure they 'get' everything by showing it to them?
Alibi Ike said:
Yah yah
I have a couple now who do not smile, ever. They look miserable. Maybe they are, the other rooms checked in and are very chipper. I even gave this couple a special anniversary gift. I am a sucker, really. My timing is off, the chipper couples would be thrilled to have a special gift, the non do not care, never say thank you and that's that!

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Yah yah
I have a couple now who do not smile, ever. They look miserable. Maybe they are, the other rooms checked in and are very chipper. I even gave this couple a special anniversary gift. I am a sucker, really. My timing is off, the chipper couples would be thrilled to have a special gift, the non do not care, never say thank you and that's that!
Remember the video...(that's my mantra now)...maybe someone just died or is dying or they're getting divorced and this is a last ditch effort to save the marriage or it's been an awful (however many years) or someone was diagnosed with cancer yesterday but they came anyway.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Yah yah
Remember the video...(that's my mantra now)...maybe someone just died or is dying or they're getting divorced and this is a last ditch effort to save the marriage or it's been an awful (however many years) or someone was diagnosed with cancer yesterday but they came anyway.
Can I just say that I LOVE your "wear the glasses" scenarios??? You are hilarious. When's that book coming out again?

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Yah yah
Can I just say that I LOVE your "wear the glasses" scenarios??? You are hilarious. When's that book coming out again?
Don Draper said:
Oy, the book. Everyone said to write all the stories down and I didn't do it in that sense. I told them all here. And I'm better as stand-up than writing things down. Even my mother calls and asks what new stories I have.

Wir bieten elegantes Brautkleid A-linie, brautmode a linie zu günstige Preisen online. Custom kleider design nach dem Foto. So einfach finden Sie Ihr Traum Brautkleid.Floral Dress for Wedding Guest Beautiful Moment
Zur Zeit ist dies definitiv eine Menge von Brüdern, Verwandten oder Kollegen halten wir ein wedding.To soweit verwirrt, über die man tragen oder sich zu verkleiden, kostüm damenmode kostüm damenmode die sicherlich gut für usand gut im Hinblick auf die von vielen Menschen. Im Moment ist dies definitiv eine Menge Wedding Guest schönen eyesand umsehen wir einander sehen. Head to Bohemien Hochzeiten in floral maxi Dorothy Perkins 'Kleid und runden den Look mit einer Rose Kimono cover-up und eine hübsche Girlande in den Haaren. Geblümten Kleid mit vielen langen onlineshop abendkleider , für Wedding Guest Beautiful Moment Kleid abendkleid abendkleid cocktailkleider günstig online , was den Eindruck einer ganz besonderen und schönen fittedjacket oder mischen sich mit einer fast ähnlich in Farbe und erhöht auch die Trimmer Kopfumfang wie eine schöne Blume Krone.
Schöne blaue Kleid mit floralen Motiven versehen brautmoden online shop , die nicht viel, aber immer noch angezeigt theimpression der weiblichen und fügte mit einem schicken Ohrringen und High Heels, die Beine Wedding Guest shapeour wird Beautiful. Es gibt nie einen besseren Zeitpunkt, um auszuprobieren, etwas Farbe als bei einer Hochzeit. Haben Sie keine Angst, abendmode brautkleid um die Farben blumenmädchenkleider , wie diese Monsoon eisblau Plisseekleid und diese Beere lila Fersen von Zara kollidieren. Lesen Sie den Rest dieses Eintrags »
gothic ballkleid abendkleider gr 42 abendkleider gr 42 brautmode strand brautmode strand
bar dresses online

Back