Day off?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!.
Madeleine said:
Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!
We did that on Sunday. After everyone checked out, we stripped beds, started laundry and went for a walk. ended up at a restaurant for lunch (with beers!) and walking the beach picking up seaglass. A very nice afternoon. But, of course, that is only possible because it's Fall and we only have guests on the weekends. (We have been here 3 weeks and are looking at our 3rd full house!)
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!
We did that on Sunday. After everyone checked out, we stripped beds, started laundry and went for a walk. ended up at a restaurant for lunch (with beers!) and walking the beach picking up seaglass. A very nice afternoon. But, of course, that is only possible because it's Fall and we only have guests on the weekends. (We have been here 3 weeks and are looking at our 3rd full house!)
I'm going to offer a suggestion, take it or leave it...never leave the inn 'undone'. You may be experiencing weekends only right now but you might be surprised by a vanful of guests showing up wanting rooms. Be prepared! We've had a lot of days with no one on the books and find we've filled 5 rooms by 3 PM.
Plus, we always hate coming back to a mess or waking up to it in the morning.
I hear you and I hear good advice. Thanks. :)
We are still moving in at this point. We look forward to having a 'routine' some day! Right now the side yard is all dug up for a future koi pond, the porch is ripped off and the house is being held up by 2x6's until they rebuild the porch. (The columns were so rotten, the builder was able to crush them in his hand.) After that, we will be replacing all the first floor windows in the hopes that we won't freeze to death this winter with 100 year old windows.
It's actually pretty fun, but also pretty stressful. I feel like we've always been 'moving.' I think we needed a walk on the beach!
Eek! I guess I missed all that renovation work going on!
Yes, you definitely need to get away from that.
When we first started we were dragging butt and still cleaning at 3 PM. It was HARD work those first few months.
It takes my husband all week to get the 6 rooms back to rentable. :)
I have a job outside the home. I do breakfast on the weekends and help strip and launder the beds. He will get better and faster, but he's also busy with contractors and setting up the website and arguing with the internet company and still unpacking a bit. By next summer, we'll have a well oiled machine going.....at least that's the plan.
wink_smile.gif

My trouble is DH (Mrcambs) is a bit OCD can spend 3 hours cleaning one bathroom which drives me mad! we usually work as a team if the chamber maid is off

Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I'm going to offer a suggestion, take it or leave it...never leave the inn 'undone'. You may be experiencing weekends only right now but you might be surprised by a vanful of guests showing up wanting rooms. Be prepared! We've had a lot of days with no one on the books and find we've filled 5 rooms by 3 PM.
Plus, we always hate coming back to a mess or waking up to it in the morning.
I hear you and I hear good advice. Thanks. :)
We are still moving in at this point. We look forward to having a 'routine' some day! Right now the side yard is all dug up for a future koi pond, the porch is ripped off and the house is being held up by 2x6's until they rebuild the porch. (The columns were so rotten, the builder was able to crush them in his hand.) After that, we will be replacing all the first floor windows in the hopes that we won't freeze to death this winter with 100 year old windows.
It's actually pretty fun, but also pretty stressful. I feel like we've always been 'moving.' I think we needed a walk on the beach!
Eek! I guess I missed all that renovation work going on!
Yes, you definitely need to get away from that.
When we first started we were dragging butt and still cleaning at 3 PM. It was HARD work those first few months.
It takes my husband all week to get the 6 rooms back to rentable. :)
I have a job outside the home. I do breakfast on the weekends and help strip and launder the beds. He will get better and faster, but he's also busy with contractors and setting up the website and arguing with the internet company and still unpacking a bit. By next summer, we'll have a well oiled machine going.....at least that's the plan.
wink_smile.gif

My trouble is DH (Mrcambs) is a bit OCD can spend 3 hours cleaning one bathroom which drives me mad! we usually work as a team if the chamber maid is off
Send him over here once a year. I'll turn him loose and if he does a good job I might even pay the freight!

WAAAAHHHH!!! Why, oh why can I just block a day out for me!? I know I should do this, but I struggle to convince myself I'm 'worth' it. Just got a call for reservations mid-October. Lovely gentleman. He and his wife sound like really nice people. Looking forward to hosting them, but, of course, they're coming for 3 days and therefore postponing my next possible day off to October 30. I want to kick myself!

Back