Dead computer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our problem was similar. We purchased new Dell laptops for two of our children last September before they returned to college. Both computers died within 2 months. It took Dell over 6 weeks to get them repaired or replaced. Meanwhile our children were without computers. Talk about a PITA!!! Then our daughter's died AGAIN when she was in Italy for a semester. It was a nightmare trying to get it fixed. Our oldest son switched to Apple and loves it. I've heard good things about Lenovo..
You know what Samster said about Dell and the layoff...well, Lenovo won't get my biz because IBM sold that part of the biz to China and here I am running a B&B. (Much happier, btw!)

Buy a Hewlett Packard. They are indestructible and no problems..
SweetiePie said:
Buy a Hewlett Packard. They are indestructible and no problems.
SweetiePie, you are among a lucky minority to not have had problems. All computer manufacturers use of-the-shelf parts and a computer is only as good as its individual parts. Hard drives are notorious for failing. It's a crap shoot at best.
Look for a computer with a good service warranty OR learn to change out memory and a hard drive yourself because they all fail at one time or another.

In my experience, 2 laptops in 5 years is about right or better than average. I buy lots of computers and we don't expect laptops to last much more than 18 months. We used to have a rotation of 3 years for desk tops but have gone to 5 year rotation on desktops by buying the extentended warranty out to 5 years.
We also have a Dell contract and everything I buy is Dell which includes servers. We have had a few problems, but not that many and service for us has been pretty good.
A few years ago, I let 3 people buy IBM laptops because they wanted them. All 3 had to be returned due to problems.
People that buy Mac's really love them and don't seem to have much problem with them. I only buy 2 Mac's and keep them around so people can test software on them. Have had no problems with the 2 we have.
Sometimes the Dell has problems in the beginning and it is frustrating, but once working well, we usually don't have more problems unless it is disk and they replace them. We require disk backups weekly. If you haven't backed up, do it now.

My first HP Pavilion crashed our third year in business....dummy me, nothing was backed up and I lost everything. All my Quicken Stuff, Guest History, all my forms, email addresses...everything had to be put back in manually. And, of course, happened right around the first of August, our highest occupancy time period.
Learned my lesson there, for sure!

I bought my IBM laptop in 2001, it died last year. We bought hubs's Dell desktop in 1999, it's the guest computer now. I gave my last dead Dell to my BIL. It needed a new display and he bought an external display at the Salvation Army for $25 and is still using the laptop.

SweetiePie said:
Buy a Hewlett Packard. They are indestructible and no problems.
SweetiePie, you are among a lucky minority to not have had problems. All computer manufacturers use of-the-shelf parts and a computer is only as good as its individual parts. Hard drives are notorious for failing. It's a crap shoot at best.
Look for a computer with a good service warranty OR learn to change out memory and a hard drive yourself because they all fail at one time or another.
I maintained a set of 12 IBM laptops for 4 years when I was training people. I never had anything fail on them in the whole time I used them. Of all the computers I have had over the past 12 years, I only had one that had a hard drive go bad. Most of them were Gateway computers. I am on my first Dell and it is 3 years old and no problems yet.

My first HP Pavilion crashed our third year in business....dummy me, nothing was backed up and I lost everything. All my Quicken Stuff, Guest History, all my forms, email addresses...everything had to be put back in manually. And, of course, happened right around the first of August, our highest occupancy time period.
Learned my lesson there, for sure!
Imagine what it would have been like if you had a really big place with super high occupancy year round! ugh. Not that you had it easy or anything.
Any computer can fail, anytime, anywhere....
I always buy the extended warranty. Getting a $1200 laptop replaced with a new one was worth all the money we've put into them.

In my experience, 2 laptops in 5 years is about right or better than average. I buy lots of computers and we don't expect laptops to last much more than 18 months. We used to have a rotation of 3 years for desk tops but have gone to 5 year rotation on desktops by buying the extentended warranty out to 5 years.
We also have a Dell contract and everything I buy is Dell which includes servers. We have had a few problems, but not that many and service for us has been pretty good.
A few years ago, I let 3 people buy IBM laptops because they wanted them. All 3 had to be returned due to problems.
People that buy Mac's really love them and don't seem to have much problem with them. I only buy 2 Mac's and keep them around so people can test software on them. Have had no problems with the 2 we have.
Sometimes the Dell has problems in the beginning and it is frustrating, but once working well, we usually don't have more problems unless it is disk and they replace them. We require disk backups weekly. If you haven't backed up, do it now..
Now is the time to buy external backups. All that stuff is on sale because it's the beginning of the school year. We just bought another one and it was also tax exempt!
Knock wood...I'm typing on a laptop from 2004. My battery died a couple of years ago but in the process of elimination, they got me a new mother board. I'm not complaining. Batteries aren't covered under most extended warranties, I think.
I'm looking at a new laptop because I want some faster processing speed, better audio card, and a dual processor. This one will be scrubbed after I get a new one and the guests that don't bring theirs can use this one.

Sometimes the Dell has problems in the beginning and it is frustrating, but once working well, we usually don't have more problems unless it is disk and they replace them. We require disk backups weekly. If you haven't backed up, do it now..
Now is the time to buy external backups. All that stuff is on sale because it's the beginning of the school year. We just bought another one and it was also tax exempt!
Knock wood...I'm typing on a laptop from 2004. My battery died a couple of years ago but in the process of elimination, they got me a new mother board. I'm not complaining. Batteries aren't covered under most extended warranties, I think.
I'm looking at a new laptop because I want some faster processing speed, better audio card, and a dual processor. This one will be scrubbed after I get a new one and the guests that don't bring theirs can use this one.
My external drive was howling this morning. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in to make copies of the important files on my C-drive because it is backed up regularly with Carbonite. I am banking on that being working. I was saving those file to the external thinking they would be safer there.... Such is life with computers.

My external drive was howling this morning. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in to make copies of the important files on my C-drive because it is backed up regularly with Carbonite. I am banking on that being working. I was saving those file to the external thinking they would be safer there.... Such is life with computers.
Don't know the age of your external drive but these things are getting better all the time, too. I just bought a 4G thumbdrive for $10!!!

Don't know the age of your external drive but these things are getting better all the time, too. I just bought a 4G thumbdrive for $10!!!
This is a disc and is probably 2 or 3 years old. I lose track of time. I JUST found out that I do have a port for a thumb drive - and I do actually have one! I may start offloading the goofy sounding one to that.
Off to band rehearsal! Concert on the 22nd.

This is a disc and is probably 2 or 3 years old. I lose track of time. I JUST found out that I do have a port for a thumb drive - and I do actually have one! I may start offloading the goofy sounding one to that.
gillumhouse said:
Now don't go tooting your own horn.
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
Now don't go tooting your own horn.
wink_smile.gif

Nah! I just blew my brains out! Had a great rehearsal considering the only times I touched the horn since June 30 was when I set it up on the stand in the Library on July 3 (after the rain-outs) and tonight when I put it back in the case to go to rehearsal.
I am even going to get another chance to blast my brains - Sept 4 the Alums have been invited to do the half-time show with the high school band at the football game during the All-School Reunion. I have blocked rooms and I is playing!

Back