Dealing with the cross and grumpy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was just "okay" nothing special. But I will take okay over grumpy.
I just had the uncomfortable inn call and she said "I know last time I called you said you had some room for some crazy amount like one hundred dollars or something...do you have anything available for tonight?"
Me "Just for your information we don't have any rooms for $100, we are not a dirty hotel room with a bed we are a B&B" click. I called her back on redial. You shouldn't hang up on people. Click.
FYI I paid $87 plus tax which is higher than our tax slightly nearly 7 years ago, and the room stunk, the bathroom was filthy and the bed old and sagging. There was a shriveled up - what I hoped raisin on the floor near the bed, not a bloated cockroach. I would not even take my shoes off. Oh and I had, which I use as a standard line now - a stale poptart for breakfast. Right on the road next to the noisy highway. It was terrible, and people PAY FOR THIS!!

I just had the uncomfortable inn call and she said "I know last time I called you said you had some room for some crazy amount like one hundred dollars or something...do you have anything available for tonight?"
Me "Just for your information we don't have any rooms for $100, we are not a dirty hotel room with a bed we are a B&B" click. I called her back on redial. You shouldn't hang up on people. Click.
FYI I paid $87 plus tax which is higher than our tax slightly nearly 7 years ago, and the room stunk, the bathroom was filthy and the bed old and sagging. There was a shriveled up - what I hoped raisin on the floor near the bed, not a bloated cockroach. I would not even take my shoes off. Oh and I had, which I use as a standard line now - a stale poptart for breakfast. Right on the road next to the noisy highway. It was terrible, and people PAY FOR THIS!!.
Jo Bloggs said:
FYI I paid $87 plus tax which is higher than our tax slightly nearly 7 years ago, and the room stunk, the bathroom was filthy and the bed old and sagging. There was a shriveled up - what I hoped raisin on the floor near the bed, not a bloated cockroach. I would not even take my shoes off. Oh and I had, which I use as a standard line now - a stale poptart for breakfast. Right on the road next to the noisy highway. It was terrible, and people PAY FOR THIS!!
Yeah. Don't you love those people? I get the "do you have anything around $50 bucks?" .... Sorry were not the YMCA.

I deal with the cross and the grumpy all the time.
But he's better once he's has his coffee, something to eat, and is over whatever's got his undies in a bunch.
Oh... did you mean guests?
teeth_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

But he's better once he's has his coffee, something to eat, and is over whatever's got his undies in a bunch.
teeth_smile.gif

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
teeth_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
59395.gif
673100.gif

Tonight I have the Colonel. He is a delight! He is 78 and ramrod straight, soft-spoken, and asked how late he could come in. A 1949 grad from here, he is visiting his friend who is driving the vintage convertible he is bringing out of his collection for the parade for the Parade Grand Marshall (the Colonel) . (I told him he was beyond needing a curfew - the door will be open until whenever.) He has Silver Star w/V, Bronze Star w/V, 3 Purple Hearts (a long list of medals), and his troops in Vietnam called him Colonel Crash because 5 helicopters were shot down with him in them - one while he was coming in to evac wounded from a firefight unit that was pinned down. He was shot down as he and his gunner sprayed the enemy with fire trying to relieve the pinned-down troops. And he has already informed me that he will not accept a freebie.
Update: I invited his friend to join him for breakfast and he came. I was finally able to convince the Colonel that it was my thank you for his Service. I would have felt uncomfortable otherwise. Neat as a pin! He even made the bed! He told me he was going to be wearing his Ranger beret because someone had stolen his Green Beret from an exhibit they had done at his church.

HEY THEY JUST CHECKED IN HERE FROM PA!
She was twirling around - this is beautiful I just love it! He was a grumpy sour puss. "I hope coffee is available BEFORE breakfast" He states...on and on every thing he says is grumpy, no thank yous, no cordial talk. "Is there a place to get a bottle of wine?" "here in da hills we makes our own likker" --toothless grin.
You know my theory...tomorrow I will wonder what happened to the grouch, he will be The Stepford Guest. Mysteriously replaced during the night with a very likable fella..
Joe Bloggs said:
She was twirling around - this is beautiful I just love it! He was a grumpy sour puss. "I hope coffee is available BEFORE breakfast" He states...on and on every thing he says is grumpy, no thank yous, no cordial talk. "Is there a place to get a bottle of wine?" "here in da hills we makes our own likker" --toothless grin.
You know my theory...tomorrow I will wonder what happened to the grouch, he will be The Stepford Guest. Mysteriously replaced during the night with a very likable fella.
Hey, tomorrow we can compare notes!
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joe Bloggs said:
You know my theory...tomorrow I will wonder what happened to the grouch, he will be The Stepford Guest. Mysteriously replaced during the night with a very likable fella.
Totally made up for by the next set of guests - very nice couple, one looks like Tom Selleck, Too much so like Tom Selleck.
Jo Bloggs said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Totally made up for by the next set of guests - very nice couple, one looks like Tom Selleck, Too much so like Tom Selleck.
I just had a guest check in who is a dead ringer for John Cleese.
Every time I look at him, I have to keep myself from cracking up. I just can't take him seriously. If he had an English accent, I would be done for.

FYI I paid $87 plus tax which is higher than our tax slightly nearly 7 years ago, and the room stunk, the bathroom was filthy and the bed old and sagging. There was a shriveled up - what I hoped raisin on the floor near the bed, not a bloated cockroach. I would not even take my shoes off. Oh and I had, which I use as a standard line now - a stale poptart for breakfast. Right on the road next to the noisy highway. It was terrible, and people PAY FOR THIS!!.
Jo Bloggs said:
Yeah. Don't you love those people? I get the "do you have anything around $50 bucks?" .... Sorry were not the YMCA.
Hum softly, There's no PITA like a cheap PITA, the worst PITAS of all.
tounge_smile.gif

We keep reminding our selves of that wonderful saying that I have seen on this website many times : They pay. they stay, they go away !

If my Mother in Law was still alive, I would have thought my inlaws checked in... that sounds just like something my wifes father would do! And he is coming over for dinner tonight. I need to have it on the table at 5pm sharp or I hear about it (BBQ Salmon tonight).
So this brings up another newbie question, how do you deal with having family/friends over for dinner when guests are in?.
Sheldon said:
So this brings up another newbie question, how do you deal with having family/friends over for dinner when guests are in?
We have family and friends over all the time. Our kitchen is not near guest bedrooms and is surprisingly quiet. We started a book club 3 years ago called "Books & Cooks" where we serve dinner and discuss books with 15 friends and family once a month. Last night was a tribute to Julia Child and we made Boeuf Bourguignon! YUM! We always tell guests when we are having friends over and let them know that they can access us anytime they want. We have friends and family stopping by all the time. Guests come first, always, but we have to have a social life too and we love entertaining here. It's actually easier to have friends here rather than going out to dinner.

Back