Dietary needs vs. Food Preference ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fluten Glee . . . cracks me up every time I see it
tounge_smile.gif

IN my pantry is a box of fruten glee oatmeal in three flavors. I can make and serve that easily. I also stock fruten glee granola.
For dairy or vegan people, we have English Muffins with peanut butter and jelly. And we always have fresh fruit. Every day..
Is your jelly certified vegan (and the peanut butter, too) or does it have sugar in it? Yup... some vegans won't eat refined white sugar unless they know that it's vegan.
No. I actually bought some vegan granola and wondered what they put on it. I guess I need almond milk or something. Vegan is too difficult.
Vegan is not difficult in this house. I do fresh fruit. We usually have nuts on hand and always lots of fresh veggies. Coffee is here and tea. OJ is premium stuff. No sweat.

IN my pantry is a box of fruten glee oatmeal in three flavors. I can make and serve that easily. I also stock fruten glee granola.
For dairy or vegan people, we have English Muffins with peanut butter and jelly. And we always have fresh fruit. Every day..
Is your jelly certified vegan (and the peanut butter, too) or does it have sugar in it? Yup... some vegans won't eat refined white sugar unless they know that it's vegan.
No. I actually bought some vegan granola and wondered what they put on it. I guess I need almond milk or something. Vegan is too difficult.
Vegan is not difficult in this house. I do fresh fruit. We usually have nuts on hand and always lots of fresh veggies. Coffee is here and tea. OJ is premium stuff. No sweat.
gillumhouse said:
We always have fresh fruit. Chopped nuts, coconut and raisins on the yogurt bar. But don't they want some protein?

Nuts are full of protein. You could also do oatmeal with almond/soy milk.
But if someone has a very limited diet, they are going to have limited choices. You can't get around that.

gillumhouse said:
We always have fresh fruit. Chopped nuts, coconut and raisins on the yogurt bar. But don't they want some protein?
That is the nuts (for the nuts). I have yet to see a vegan that looked healthy. They are scrawny looking people. Actually, I look at it as THEIR problem. MY problem is to put food in front of them that has no face and no feet. Fruits, nuts, and veggies meet the requirements.

I learned in a food safety/allergy course that some people can eat foods with eggs in them (like baked goods or even casseroles) but not scrambled / fried / poached (etc) eggs because the egg proteins that cause their reaction are killed when the food is baked at high temperature. They call it extensively heated egg. This can't be accomplished when cooking eggs on the stovetop. Not everyone can tolerate eggs in baked dishes, but many can.
We've got a few people in my extended family with serious allergies and illnesses. They bring their own food along wherever they go. Bit of a treat if they can actually 'eat out' but they would never expect a small inn or b&b or even us (family) to be able to guarantee their meals are free of whatever makes them sick.
Why oh why are guests expecting this? It's a huge responsibility and liability issue if you promise. I never could. I had eight guest rooms, max occupancy was 21 people, I did breakfast alone from start to finish, and there was often one guest who was content with fruit, coffee and tea, sometimes hard boiled eggs, sometimes not, sometimes almond milk or rice dream, oatmeal or basic cereals I provided. I learned to keep a small, secret stash of the shelf stable almond breeze. If I knew ahead of time, I'd pick up some of whatever bread they ate - spelt for one. If I bought that, I asked that they take it with them because no one else liked it. Best I could do and I did it with a smile (or grimace if they were really last minute with the info)

Back