Difficult dietary needs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh...and she picked the cheapest room...lol.
Which is exactly why you needed to specify that there is an extra charge for "all organic and cage-free". That's a lifestyle choice and lifestyle choices have costs. Look at the supermarket, it's in it's own special fancy section because it costs more and there is more profit in it.

I don't even ask or offer special diets. If they mention it to me before they come I just say I am unable to accommodate that but if they would like to bring their own food I would be happy to cook it for them. And then I offer a place that does offer. And, yes, I am a hard ass! Just not worth it to drive all the way to town and back for it. If they announce it when they arrive when we are discussing breakfast, I ask what will they eat. If I have it, then great. If not, they are welcome to leave. I do say this in a nicer way but...........!

I believe I may have replied, "You are joking, of course. We so enjoy guests with a senses of humor. Thank you for letting us know that you do not require toast with your bacon and eggs and no cream with your coffee."

Just serve her eggs tomorrow. Bacon is low carb. And it's pork, she didn't mention the feed for that.
Mushroom, brocolli, spinach and avocado are low
Fruit is tough on low carb so I wouldn't even be concerned - let her choose if you offer any.
Oatmeal is not low carb that's why no oatmeal.
Grass fed beef tastes different from other beef ... but I also buy cage free eggs for me and I don't taste a difference. I don't serve fish at breakast. Organic? Yes, if you usually shop this way ... But these are her personal choices and they jump the price on every single item, sometimes double. Without seeing sources it's hard to guarantee anything.
I can't imagine you're seeing this since you've got a medical procedure in an hour but I wouldn't divulge your personal info - medical procedure if you feel the need to say anything..
seashanty said:
Grass fed beef tastes different from other beef ... but I also buy cage free eggs for me and I don't taste a difference. I don't serve fish at breakast. Organic? Yes, if you usually shop this way ... But these are her personal choices and they jump the price on every single item, sometimes double. Without seeing sources it's hard to guarantee anything.
This statement is illuminating. I am thinking that personal preference statements outside what we serve, are an extra charge. Per request. After all, you have to go out and shop again, often at additional charge so something like this for mine (note the line of humor):
"We provide several delicious homemade options (chef's choice) for our guests. We remove most common allergens and disliked foods from our menu. One choice is generally GF/lactose free/vegan. Personal preferences like cage free quail eggs or organic Yak butter, IF available, bear an extra charge to cover our special shopping trip and costs. And they must be arranged well in advance. If you wish to bring these along, we will do our best to prep them for you. Otherwise, we may not be the best fit for your particular needs."
Don't expect everyone to get your humor...some will demand cage free hens eggs and organic cow's butter because you never said you did not offer those common ingredients for breakfast. Also, expect quite a few GF/lactose free/vegans as guests. You will basically be inviting them to join you and will be creating a special niche for your business. As long as that is what you want, it will generate business for you.

Just serve her eggs tomorrow. Bacon is low carb. And it's pork, she didn't mention the feed for that.
Fruit is tough on low carb so I wouldn't even be concerned - let her choose if you offer any.
I can't imagine you're seeing this since you've got a medical procedure in an hour but I wouldn't divulge your personal info - medical procedure if you feel the need to say anything..
seashanty said:
This statement is illuminating. I am thinking that personal preference statements outside what we serve, are an extra charge. Per request. After all, you have to go out and shop again, often at additional charge so something like this for mine (note the line of humor):
"We provide several delicious homemade options (chef's choice) for our guests. We remove most common allergens and disliked foods from our menu. One choice is generally GF/lactose free/vegan. Personal preferences like cage free quail eggs or organic Yak butter, IF available, bear an extra charge to cover our special shopping trip and costs. And they must be arranged well in advance. If you wish to bring these along, we will do our best to prep them for you. Otherwise, we may not be the best fit for your particular needs."
Don't expect everyone to get your humor...some will demand cage free hens eggs and organic cow's butter because you never said you did not offer those common ingredients for breakfast. Also, expect quite a few GF/lactose free/vegans as guests. You will basically be inviting them to join you and will be creating a special niche for your business. As long as that is what you want, it will generate business for you.
Can't help thinking of the post here that someone wanted their blueberries peeled. I likely would have responded that either our blueberry peeler did not come to work today, or fine - $7 a blueberry...
ANYWAY:
I have no problem with special diets - I think this is the future. I just think it needs to be managed efficiently. As I said previously, my overall meal plan is:
o Eliminate most of the top 10 allergens (except eggs).
o Eliminate most of the top 10 disliked foods (most of them are not breakfast foods).
o Have several breakfast choices (chef's choice) and several additive choices (coconut milk, milk, almond milk), sweeteners, etc.
o Super cereal (cheerios, bran flakes, cherry/blueberry concentrate, some type of milk, sunflower seeds/ almonds, dried berries, splenda, cinnamon, quercitin powder - this is what I eat 80% of the time for breakfast - very tasty and very healthy).
o Yogurts, fruit, etc. available.
o Keep prepared ramekins in deep freeze, labeled "GF", "Lactose intolerant", "vegan", etc. Can be pulled and thawed/reheated in short time.
o Special requests must be submitted well in advance. Extra price for requests, and only if available.
o Distribute/collect cards the night before for them to check off issues and choices. They whine the next morning because they ignored the card, then VERY tough noogies. Everyone else did this.

seashanty said:
Can't help thinking of the post here that someone wanted their blueberries peeled. I likely would have responded that either our blueberry peeler did not come to work today, or fine - $7 a blueberry...
ANYWAY:
I have no problem with special diets - I think this is the future. I just think it needs to be managed efficiently. As I said previously, my overall meal plan is:
o Eliminate most of the top 10 disliked foods (most of them are not breakfast foods).
o Have several breakfast choices (chef's choice) and several additive choices (coconut milk, milk, almond milk), sweeteners, etc.
o Super cereal (cheerios, bran flakes, cherry/blueberry concentrate, some type of milk, sunflower seeds/ almonds, dried berries, splenda, cinnamon, quercitin powder - this is what I eat 80% of the time for breakfast - very tasty and very healthy).
o Keep prepared ramekins in deep freeze, labeled "GF", "Lactose intolerant", "vegan", etc. Can be pulled and thawed/reheated in short time.
o Special requests must be submitted well in advance. Extra price for requests, and only if available.
o Distribute/collect cards the night before for them to check off issues and choices. They whine the next morning because they ignored the card, then VERY tough noogies. Everyone else did this.
Agree with offering sides of cereals and yogurt. We do that and it goes over well. I'm always surprised at how many people really like Raisin Bran. Also, the Special K GF goes quickly.
I will say that before we started, I had planned to publish a weather report and things to do list daily. I now laugh at myself. There is precious little time if you want to have any life at all. So publishing a menu and collecting them and cooking to them sounds like a lot of work. I'm sure it would be very much appreciated by your guests.
In my world, once I pour my wine and start my dinner, I don't go back into the inn unless someone rings the bell.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
We do most of what you say except they get a confirmation letter when the book asking dietary restrictions and then a reminder letter 4 days before asking again....most ppl just don't bother reading them..She just emailed us saying" I will bring my own eggs".....lol

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
Agree with offering sides of cereals and yogurt. We do that and it goes over well. I'm always surprised at how many people really like Raisin Bran. Also, the Special K GF goes quickly.
I will say that before we started, I had planned to publish a weather report and things to do list daily. I now laugh at myself. There is precious little time if you want to have any life at all. So publishing a menu and collecting them and cooking to them sounds like a lot of work. I'm sure it would be very much appreciated by your guests.
In my world, once I pour my wine and start my dinner, I don't go back into the inn unless someone rings the bell.
We do a simple chalkboard in a rustic frame for weather...people like it....as for things to do...we do that at check in.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
We do a simple chalkboard in a rustic frame for weather...people like it....as for things to do...we do that at check in.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
Offering several things mostly because I do not agree with the concept of chef's (1) choice - take it or leave it. If I pay $150 to stay at a B&B, and the only offering was something I disliked and it was take it or leave it, I would be a very unhappy camper. I have stayed nicely in Super 8 type places for $65 with clean rooms, cable TV, wifi, nice bathroom, cleaning service daily and no complaints. The breakfast may be iffy, but there is always something I like. And for $12, I could get a nice breakfast in many places. This is the real competition and there is a lot of it.
Like the post the other day where the owner expected the person to down the ?baked grapefruit? Breakfast is half the experience. Some of the responses here seem to think that this business is for the convenience of the owner - it is not.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
undersea said:
I have no problem with special diets - I think this is the future.
I think this is a fad fueled by food companies charging lots of money for x-free products on the back of marketing campaigns that have convinced people that an x free diet is the answer to all their woes. I saw a foody program recently that discovered that it costs marginally more to make gluton free bread, that they replace the gluton with mostly fat and sugar which is even worse for you and they charge 2 - 3 times as much.
A relative went on a gluton free diet, extolled the virtues explaining how much better he felt. 6 months later I saw him eating a sandwich and he said "oh yeah, I gave that up".
I do have some sympathies with vegetarians and vegans as I think some animals are treated appallingly for our consumption and I realise that some people have medial intolerances, beyond that I'm not reorganizing my kitchen and menu.
Sorry Undersea, that turned into a rant, it wasn't aimed at you.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
undersea said:
I think this is a fad fueled by food companies charging lots of money for x-free products on the back of marketing campaigns that have convinced people that an x free diet is the answer to all their woes. I saw a foody program recently that discovered that it costs marginally more to make gluton free bread, that they replace the gluton with mostly fat and sugar which is even worse for you and they charge 2 - 3 times as much.
A relative went on a gluton free diet, extolled the virtues explaining how much better he felt. 6 months later I saw him eating a sandwich and he said "oh yeah, I gave that up".
I do have some sympathies with vegetarians and vegans as I think some animals are treated appallingly for our consumption and I realise that some people have medial intolerances, beyond that I'm not reorganizing my kitchen and menu.
It's the Garden of Eden effect. We all know that apples are the cause of all evil, let's stop eating apples. Of course the fact that it was really a pomegranate is incidental. But anyway, it must be the root of all evil. If we can just get rid of all the apples on earth the world would be so much better a place, because everything is because we eat apples. So, let's eat bread instead...
Six months down the line... oh, gluten is the most even food ever. It can't be apples. It can't be slow chain proteins that are causing it. It can't be processed foods, because everyone eats processed cheese food.....

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
We do the things to do, but weekly, not daily.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
Offering several things mostly because I do not agree with the concept of chef's (1) choice - take it or leave it. If I pay $150 to stay at a B&B, and the only offering was something I disliked and it was take it or leave it, I would be a very unhappy camper. I have stayed nicely in Super 8 type places for $65 with clean rooms, cable TV, wifi, nice bathroom, cleaning service daily and no complaints. The breakfast may be iffy, but there is always something I like. And for $12, I could get a nice breakfast in many places. This is the real competition and there is a lot of it.
Like the post the other day where the owner expected the person to down the ?baked grapefruit? Breakfast is half the experience. Some of the responses here seem to think that this business is for the convenience of the owner - it is not.
not so much for the convenience of the owner. but more for the sanity. you do get very very busy. and some things are harder to fit into your day. I can't work 24/7. I need to end the day.
I actually know a woman who nearly had a breakdown running a B&B. you need boundries. overestimating your energy and enthusiasm and abilities is the reason innkeepers fail. Sometimes it is just too much.
our hospitality is stellar. but we still need time off.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
undersea said:
I think somewhat the opposite - the food companies started jumping on the bandwagon that started rolling from "research studies" in combination with the Dr. Oz types who started tolling this stuff.
This is the Groupon-Yelp generation. Things are going to get worse, much worse. And they will expect it for the same price.
My plans are to go after the markets that have some reasonable following. Allergies, vegans, GF, paleo, weight watcher etc. and more will be there. The "I don't like that" is going to become REALLY big.
I think the trick is to capture the significant slices (3%) with using as little effort as possible, and push off the markets with 2 people worldwide (I only eat peacock eggs...).

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
not so much for the convenience of the owner. but more for the sanity. you do get very very busy. and some things are harder to fit into your day. I can't work 24/7. I need to end the day.
I actually know a woman who nearly had a breakdown running a B&B. you need boundries. overestimating your energy and enthusiasm and abilities is the reason innkeepers fail. Sometimes it is just too much.
TheBeachHouse said:
And we provide bed and breakfast - it does not mean we must provide every whim people can come up with. There are too many people out there who want the Ritz or the Waldorf service and amenities at Tom Bo-dette prices and if you do not also give me a discount simply because I am "special" I will give you a bad review on TA. There is a definite difference between a welcome mat and a doormat.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
We do most of what you say except they get a confirmation letter when the book asking dietary restrictions and then a reminder letter 4 days before asking again....most ppl just don't bother reading them..She just emailed us saying" I will bring my own eggs".....lol
Wow, who the heck would travel with their own eggs. That says a lot about the person right there. Good luck, you're probably in for quite the guests.

Do you charge additional for the breakfast? If not what you typical serve for breakfast is what you offer for breakfast. You don't offer cage free organic anything unless you typically offer that. My gut tells me even if you bent to all these stipulations it woult not be suffificent, or she would decline the meal anyway after you have run a mok trying to meet her need.

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
TheBeachHouse said:
I have a board up with random things to do during the week and then change it out to the weekend events come Friday. It helps me come up with things to do for folks who had no plans at all. I've had modest success with it. :) Guests yesterday got the last sightseeing trip on the river and they couldn't stop talking about it this morning even tho they 'didn't want to be tied down' to a reservation when I mentioned it in the morning. :)

seashanty said:
ANYWAY:
undersea said:
Some of the responses here seem to think that this business is for the convenience of the owner - it is not.
I'll bring this to your attention...it's not just us whiny innkeepers...it's trained, professional chefs who have a problem with this in their chef-y kitchens with all the ingredients at hand and the knowledge of how to do it with their eyes closed.

Back