Discussion of PAII's new site and PAII convention (moved)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great resource posting, Swirt!
regular_smile.gif

For all on this fourm, if you haven't checked out our new web site, take a peek at www.innkeeping.org. LOTS of changes.
And, thanks to several of you on here, we will be announcing big changes to our membership model in about 2 months making membership in PAII a "no brainer."
Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
I saw The Innkeepers Store and thought there would be tshirts available. You know, like black tshirts with white lettering:
"INNKEEPING IS NOT FOR SISSIES"
Fantastic idea! Let's see what we can come up with.
Hi Jay,
What is the difference between the November New England Innkeeping show and the Innkeeping Show in Austin Texas. Do people got to both or just one of them?
There are two main differences...
Most of the content at the New England Show will focus on truly regional matters, i.e. tapping into New England tourism efforts, working with New England farmers to get great New England-grown food to your guests, working with New England media, meetings with the six state tourism departments, etc. We'll sprinkle in some general education content, i.e. internet marketing, operations issues, etc.
The other main difference will be the depth and breadth of the event itself. The Innkeeping Show in Austin covers about 4 days, and you typically find up to 8 classes being offered at the same time. TONS of choices, much larger experience overall. The New England Show is basically a day and a half. Short and sweet, but meaningful, for the drive-in market.
But, that being said, we might realize big success with the New England meeting. TripAdvisor CEO, Steve Kaufer, accepted my invitation to come join us at the event. Vendors are eager to participate. So, this could be as big as the Austin event! :) We'll see.
I expect many innkeepers will come to both shows, since they're both valuable. And of course some will choose one over the other.
Jay
If you've never gone to a PAII conference, all I can say is GO!!!!!!
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes they are great IF YOU have the moolah. EXPENSIVE
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off and you will learn an enormous amount which helps you increase business. Well worth it in the long run. We go every 2 years and I know we would not be as successful if we didn't participate.
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off
Sorry, it is not a tax write-off. It IS a tax deduction, but only a portion of it comes off the taxes. I already have so many deductions ot would not matter one whit for my taxes but it would for my bank account. OUCH!
See that is the big problem. I am not anti-Conference. Actually I am pro-Conference - it is such a learning and networking experience. BUT I am barely able to afford my State Association Conference - PAII is unreachable for my meager income. Not playing "poor-mouth", just the facts. I probably give away roo many nights to state members and to my City and donate (still) more than I should, but am really content with where I am so the $$$ are not all that important - as long as I can come up with the honking loan payment, insurance, and taxes I have all I want. Next year starts the get it in gear to show what it would be if I did not give away the store so it will be saleable in 2 years. No freebie donations for 2010.
Hey, if you're happy where you are great! No need to spend the money. I think you may be in the minority though. Most inn mates here are looking for a little bigger piece of the pie.
If any of you do go to the conference, we could do a meet and greet for inn mates. I've already got my innsitter lined up.
It comes down to taking a vacation away from the business with our four here, or going solo to the PAII conference. So I must choose vacation away from the business with my family in all fairness.
If you can afford to go, if you can afford to deduct it as a business/training expense please go! There is no better bang for you buck than a PAII conference.
Every year we discuss the conferences, every year the majority on this forum say they cannot afford it. I would love to go and meet some from the forum there. One day...
Hey Swirt you might want to move all of these into a PAII conference thread as we have taken over this resource thread? SORRY.
Joe Bloggs said:
Hey Swirt you might want to move all of these into a PAII conference thread as we have taken over this resource thread? SORRY.
You are right, I was thinking the same thing as my scroll finger was starting to cramp up while reading this one ;)
I need to figure a better way to have the resources stand out as something completely different from a forum thread as we do tend to chat them up a bit and wander off topic.
swirt said:
we do tend to chat them up a bit and wander off topic.
Who, US???? ;)

regular_smile.gif

For all on this fourm, if you haven't checked out our new web site, take a peek at www.innkeeping.org. LOTS of changes.
And, thanks to several of you on here, we will be announcing big changes to our membership model in about 2 months making membership in PAII a "no brainer."
Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
I saw The Innkeepers Store and thought there would be tshirts available. You know, like black tshirts with white lettering:
Hi Jay,
What is the difference between the November New England Innkeeping show and the Innkeeping Show in Austin Texas. Do people got to both or just one of them?
Most of the content at the New England Show will focus on truly regional matters, i.e. tapping into New England tourism efforts, working with New England farmers to get great New England-grown food to your guests, working with New England media, meetings with the six state tourism departments, etc. We'll sprinkle in some general education content, i.e. internet marketing, operations issues, etc.
The other main difference will be the depth and breadth of the event itself. The Innkeeping Show in Austin covers about 4 days, and you typically find up to 8 classes being offered at the same time. TONS of choices, much larger experience overall. The New England Show is basically a day and a half. Short and sweet, but meaningful, for the drive-in market.
But, that being said, we might realize big success with the New England meeting. TripAdvisor CEO, Steve Kaufer, accepted my invitation to come join us at the event. Vendors are eager to participate. So, this could be as big as the Austin event! :) We'll see.
I expect many innkeepers will come to both shows, since they're both valuable. And of course some will choose one over the other.
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Yes, it can add up, but it's a tax write off and you will learn an enormous amount which helps you increase business. Well worth it in the long run. We go every 2 years and I know we would not be as successful if we didn't participate.
Sorry, it is not a tax write-off. It IS a tax deduction, but only a portion of it comes off the taxes. I already have so many deductions ot would not matter one whit for my taxes but it would for my bank account. OUCH!
See that is the big problem. I am not anti-Conference. Actually I am pro-Conference - it is such a learning and networking experience. BUT I am barely able to afford my State Association Conference - PAII is unreachable for my meager income. Not playing "poor-mouth", just the facts. I probably give away roo many nights to state members and to my City and donate (still) more than I should, but am really content with where I am so the $$$ are not all that important - as long as I can come up with the honking loan payment, insurance, and taxes I have all I want. Next year starts the get it in gear to show what it would be if I did not give away the store so it will be saleable in 2 years. No freebie donations for 2010.
Hey, if you're happy where you are great! No need to spend the money. I think you may be in the minority though. Most inn mates here are looking for a little bigger piece of the pie.
If any of you do go to the conference, we could do a meet and greet for inn mates. I've already got my innsitter lined up.
Breakfast Diva said:
Okay I just checked to see if the costs have imrpoved. Now figure airline and hotel on top ot this:
[td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $639.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Full Conference - Lunches Included (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $35.00
Key Leaders Workshop (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $299.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
One Day Conference Registration (T, W, or Th) (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $150.00
Select Registry Events Only

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $100.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Trade Show Only - One Day (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][th]Optional Tickets[/th][/tr][td] Price: $299.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Aspiring Innkeepers Workshop (more)

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $0.00
BedandBreakfast.com Internet Intensive - ADVANCED (more)

BedandBreakfast.com Internet Intensive - BASIC (more)

Select Registry Add On - Private Events (more)
As a Select Registry member your additional fee includes personalized registration check in by the Select Registry staff, members only breakfast on Tuesday morning and an opportunity to meet the new Executive Director and hear state of Select Registry, member only invitation to Select Registry Wednesday evening reception at an elegant downtown establishment (transportation included), full access to the trade show floor, Select Registry Members Lounge on the Trade Show floor, and workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday morning for those members interested in learning more about Select Registry’s property management system endeavor.
[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $999.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Technology Pre-Conference Workshop with Tim Brady

Texas Bed & Breakfast Association Add On

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $45.00
Thursday Awards Lunch

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][td] Price: $45.00 - Log in for Member Pricing
Trade Show Lunch Ticket - Tuesday (more)

Trade Show Lunch Ticket - Wednesday (more)

Trade Show Only - One Day (more)[/td][/tr][/table]
The last time I went in Hilton Head, the price was all-inclusive for all the talks. Looks like there is a main cost and then additional cost for all the big seminars. Am I reading correctly that one alone is $999??????
Pretty pricey. I'd go if I had an extra $3000.
Riki
If you're a PAII member, the cost is $439 for the main conference/seminars. Those other things you listed are add ons which are nice if you want to go to them, but certainly not necessary and not the main focus of the conference. The conference fee includes all the regular workshops and keynote speakers. We never add on any of the additional offerings.
I know it sounds like a lot of money, and believe me, I'm not here representing PAII or anyone else, I'm only telling you my experience after attending 3 conferences in the past 6 years.
Every time I go to the conference I come home with my head swimming with information. Inevitably, there are a few gems I can incorporate easily into our business which definitely increases the revenue. I can tell you that we have seen returns on our investment (the conference) a thousand fold.
If you are an innkeeper that is looking to increase your business, and make a more successful B&B but not quite sure how, then the investment of eduation is worth it. If you just can't afford to go, then you might consider getting the DVD of the workshops that they sell after the conference.
I really don't think I would have been able to increase our business as much as I have the past several years without attending these conferences.
In the past I have seen posts where an inn mate states they don't see how their PAII membership helps them...For me, PAII is about education. Now's the time to use your membership and take advantage of the reduced PAII membership rate.
Breakfast Diva said:
If you're a PAII member, the cost is $439 for the main conference/seminars.
If you are an innkeeper that is looking to increase your business, and make a more successful B&B but not quite sure how, then the investment of eduation is worth it. If you just can't afford to go, then you might consider getting the DVD of the workshops that they sell after the conference.
I really don't think I would have been able to increase our business as much as I have the past several years without attending these conferences.
I don't know how long you've been a PAII member, but I've been watching them for years. Now with Jay there, I think they may finally be on the side of the innkeeper instead of trying to make money, so I do plan to join for the first time since I was an aspiring member
But I don't know if you were a member back when many of us decided not to rejoin - when PAII closed down the forum while going on vacation despite the B&Bs wanting to continue to chat. That's what created CAIK.
I don't know if you were around when they were promoting NPC or whatever the name of that credit card processor is, and when innkeepers contacted them about unfair charges saying machines were not returned when they were, or poor service regarding chargebacks were told "Gee, nobody else has compained" at a time when we knew we were all calling them with the same complaints. That's when we started wondering why they kept promoting them since we were all having so many problems with them that they were dubbed something like "Never Protecting Chargebacks"
If I'm an innkeeper that wants to increase my business? Is that a trick question? Of course I want to. But I imagine you have more than 2 rooms to speak as if it's so easy to go. It may be $435 but I bet the hotel alone puts that up to $1000. And an innsitter will be $100 per day minimum. And flying from Virginia to Texas is, I'm sure, more than $200 per person. Now I'm already up to $1500 or more. And if I go of course I'll want to do the additional seminars, since the basic ones are probably similar to those at the state level. How to do a website, how to do a wedding etc. We all know the best place for a beginner is to go to PAII's basic seminars.
Like Guillum House says, if I don't have the money, how do you presume that I should go ?? Charge charge charge on my credit card? We have not charged anything for over two years and cannot strart now or I can't build my other wing which will finally release me from working two jobs. So yes, I do want to increase my business and yes it is an investment. But please note not all of us can afford to do so.
Maybe if the conferences are charging $75 for a pot of coffee it's time for conferences to go somewhere else. I would be interested in researching alternate meeting spots. In this economy there must be other sources than the highly traveled locations that can charge up the wazoo no matter what. I wonder what the UVA Conference Center here charges....
RIki
Hi Riki,
Just to address the conference venue and $75 per gallon of coffee issue, choosing the right place for our meeting involves a very difficult recipe.
It's highly preferable to choose a hotel that can accommodate about 1500 room nights over 4 days...AND have enough meeting space to house 8 simultaneous breakouts and a trade show that can hold up to 100 10x10 booths. And innkeepers greatly prefer that it all be under one roof. Even when we've had the trade show at a convention center across the street from the host hotel, many innkeepers complained about having to walk the one block to the trade show, and exhibitors complained the innkeepers wouldn't come over. Plus, if we commit all the rooms and F&B to the one host hotel, they will give us the meeting and exhibit space at no charge. But of course, we have to commit a great deal in F&B and room nights to get the deal, so we're putting ourselves out on a limb and taking on some risk.
I would love to consider a university campus setting, but the trade show would be hard to accommodate, unless there was a large, indoor open space VERY close to the sleeping and meeting rooms.
And, let's don't forget the city. Innkeepers prefer a "tier one" city, meaning major airport, so that it's easy get in and out at a hopefully reasonable rate. We try getting good deals at cities that have a lot of direct flights from all over. On the other hand, there are some innkeepers who would prefer that we go to "tier two" cities, just so we're not in big cities and that we explore a variety of places over the years. For 2011, we are looking at cities that might give us a better room rate in January or March, and we will poll our members for their opinion of the places which will be on our final three or four list for that year. Better room rates can be found in tier two cities, but they might require more layovers with the flights. Even tier two cities will charge more than $50 per gallon for coffee, plus 22% service fee, plus 8% tax. We end up paying about $40 per plate for a plated lunch that might consist of a small salad, chicken breast/veggie and cheesecake. Sorry, don't mean to tell a sob story here. :) It's just a complex and expensive undertaking, but there certainly is a desire for the product, so we will keep hosting it.
One other matter is politics we have to consider. When we chose California as our 2008 location, I think we upset some folks in Oregon who were hoping we'd choose Portland that year, and we upset some folks in California for being in their backyard. There are many reasons we have one full-time person who works on this event! :)
Jay

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
It comes down to taking a vacation away from the business with our four here, or going solo to the PAII conference. So I must choose vacation away from the business with my family in all fairness.
If you can afford to go, if you can afford to deduct it as a business/training expense please go! There is no better bang for you buck than a PAII conference.
Every year we discuss the conferences, every year the majority on this forum say they cannot afford it. I would love to go and meet some from the forum there. One day...
Joe Bloggs said:
You are right, I was thinking the same thing as my scroll finger was starting to cramp up while reading this one ;)
I need to figure a better way to have the resources stand out as something completely different from a forum thread as we do tend to chat them up a bit and wander off topic.
swirt said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Can you lock them off so there is no chit chat buttons available? We can always start a new thread on the topic.
Joe Bloggs said:
Can you lock them off so there is no chit chat buttons available? We can always start a new thread on the topic.
I can, and that is real easy. My original intent was to have dialog related to the resource as that would be useful Example: Towels from xyztowels,com Comment: we love them they were a good deal and have held up well. Comment: Stay away from the dark green ones, they faded too rapidly....
I thought the "comment wisely" part would be enough, but what I really need is a "nag window" that pops up and says, is this really about this specific resource...are your sure?....really is it? and three nags later it actually lets you submit the comment. ;)

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Okay I just checked to see if the costs have imrpoved. Now figure airline and hotel on top ot this:

[/td][/tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][th]Optional Tickets[/th][/tr][td] Price: $299.00 - Log in for Member Pricing

As a Select Registry member your additional fee includes personalized registration check in by the Select Registry staff, members only breakfast on Tuesday morning and an opportunity to meet the new Executive Director and hear state of Select Registry, member only invitation to Select Registry Wednesday evening reception at an elegant downtown establishment (transportation included), full access to the trade show floor, Select Registry Members Lounge on the Trade Show floor, and workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday morning for those members interested in learning more about Select Registry’s property management system endeavor.

Thursday Awards Lunch

The last time I went in Hilton Head, the price was all-inclusive for all the talks. Looks like there is a main cost and then additional cost for all the big seminars. Am I reading correctly that one alone is $999??????
Riki
If you're a PAII member, the cost is $439 for the main conference/seminars. Those other things you listed are add ons which are nice if you want to go to them, but certainly not necessary and not the main focus of the conference. The conference fee includes all the regular workshops and keynote speakers. We never add on any of the additional offerings.
I know it sounds like a lot of money, and believe me, I'm not here representing PAII or anyone else, I'm only telling you my experience after attending 3 conferences in the past 6 years.
Every time I go to the conference I come home with my head swimming with information. Inevitably, there are a few gems I can incorporate easily into our business which definitely increases the revenue. I can tell you that we have seen returns on our investment (the conference) a thousand fold.
In the past I have seen posts where an inn mate states they don't see how their PAII membership helps them...For me, PAII is about education. Now's the time to use your membership and take advantage of the reduced PAII membership rate.
Breakfast Diva said:
I don't know how long you've been a PAII member, but I've been watching them for years. Now with Jay there, I think they may finally be on the side of the innkeeper instead of trying to make money, so I do plan to join for the first time since I was an aspiring member
But I don't know if you were a member back when many of us decided not to rejoin - when PAII closed down the forum while going on vacation despite the B&Bs wanting to continue to chat. That's what created CAIK.
I don't know if you were around when they were promoting NPC or whatever the name of that credit card processor is, and when innkeepers contacted them about unfair charges saying machines were not returned when they were, or poor service regarding chargebacks were told "Gee, nobody else has compained" at a time when we knew we were all calling them with the same complaints. That's when we started wondering why they kept promoting them since we were all having so many problems with them that they were dubbed something like "Never Protecting Chargebacks"
If I'm an innkeeper that wants to increase my business? Is that a trick question? Of course I want to. But I imagine you have more than 2 rooms to speak as if it's so easy to go. It may be $435 but I bet the hotel alone puts that up to $1000. And an innsitter will be $100 per day minimum. And flying from Virginia to Texas is, I'm sure, more than $200 per person. Now I'm already up to $1500 or more. And if I go of course I'll want to do the additional seminars, since the basic ones are probably similar to those at the state level. How to do a website, how to do a wedding etc. We all know the best place for a beginner is to go to PAII's basic seminars.
Like Guillum House says, if I don't have the money, how do you presume that I should go ?? Charge charge charge on my credit card? We have not charged anything for over two years and cannot strart now or I can't build my other wing which will finally release me from working two jobs. So yes, I do want to increase my business and yes it is an investment. But please note not all of us can afford to do so.
Maybe if the conferences are charging $75 for a pot of coffee it's time for conferences to go somewhere else. I would be interested in researching alternate meeting spots. In this economy there must be other sources than the highly traveled locations that can charge up the wazoo no matter what. I wonder what the UVA Conference Center here charges....
RIki
Hi Riki,
Just to address the conference venue and $75 per gallon of coffee issue, choosing the right place for our meeting involves a very difficult recipe.
It's highly preferable to choose a hotel that can accommodate about 1500 room nights over 4 days...AND have enough meeting space to house 8 simultaneous breakouts and a trade show that can hold up to 100 10x10 booths. And innkeepers greatly prefer that it all be under one roof. Even when we've had the trade show at a convention center across the street from the host hotel, many innkeepers complained about having to walk the one block to the trade show, and exhibitors complained the innkeepers wouldn't come over. Plus, if we commit all the rooms and F&B to the one host hotel, they will give us the meeting and exhibit space at no charge. But of course, we have to commit a great deal in F&B and room nights to get the deal, so we're putting ourselves out on a limb and taking on some risk.
I would love to consider a university campus setting, but the trade show would be hard to accommodate, unless there was a large, indoor open space VERY close to the sleeping and meeting rooms.
And, let's don't forget the city. Innkeepers prefer a "tier one" city, meaning major airport, so that it's easy get in and out at a hopefully reasonable rate. We try getting good deals at cities that have a lot of direct flights from all over. On the other hand, there are some innkeepers who would prefer that we go to "tier two" cities, just so we're not in big cities and that we explore a variety of places over the years. For 2011, we are looking at cities that might give us a better room rate in January or March, and we will poll our members for their opinion of the places which will be on our final three or four list for that year. Better room rates can be found in tier two cities, but they might require more layovers with the flights. Even tier two cities will charge more than $50 per gallon for coffee, plus 22% service fee, plus 8% tax. We end up paying about $40 per plate for a plated lunch that might consist of a small salad, chicken breast/veggie and cheesecake. Sorry, don't mean to tell a sob story here. :) It's just a complex and expensive undertaking, but there certainly is a desire for the product, so we will keep hosting it.
One other matter is politics we have to consider. When we chose California as our 2008 location, I think we upset some folks in Oregon who were hoping we'd choose Portland that year, and we upset some folks in California for being in their backyard. There are many reasons we have one full-time person who works on this event! :)
Jay
F & B costs are no joke and I KNOW you are not blowing smoke on those costs. Here in WV we get quoted $20 to $25 per plate for lunch and we are not even talking in one of our BIG cities either. And that guaranteed room count can kill you.
I had to commit to 100 room nights over 3 nights for our State Conference in March 2002. Contracts were signed in early summer. We expected no problem since it was just off an Interstate and convenient to most of our membership. We almost (me) got hung out to dry as we had a commitment of 34 room nights 2 weeks before the event (I had booked even though I was within commute distance). Remember what happened on Sept. 11, 2001 and how business went in the tank?
We were saved because the resort had a chance to get a billiards tournament and needed the ballroom which we were contracted to have and I played it out to the last minute for them to get that venue so they were willing to give me whatever to get that space.
Contracts have to be signed so far in advance that no one can take a deep breath until after the event.
I understand - but I still cannot afford to come.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Joe Bloggs said:
swirt said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I can, and that is real easy. My original intent was to have dialog related to the resource as that would be useful Example: Towels from xyztowels,com Comment: we love them they were a good deal and have held up well. Comment: Stay away from the dark green ones, they faded too rapidly....
I thought the "comment wisely" part would be enough, but what I really need is a "nag window" that pops up and says, is this really about this specific resource...are your sure?....really is it? and three nags later it actually lets you submit the comment. ;)
swirt said:
Joe Bloggs said:
That would make you the forum naggigator wouldn't it?
cheers.gif

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
It is interesting to hear the history on NPC, the credit card processor, because that is exactly the situation we find ourselves in with Trip Advisor.
I think there is an inherent conflict of interest when a company is a vendor that prevents PAII from really "going after them" and protecting our interests. The only concession Trip Advisor has made so far is one that makes them even more money (the pay-per-click deal).
The other problem is that with only about 8% of the 25,000 B&Bs in the country as members, PAII really doesn't have any clout and unfortunately Trip Advisor knows it.
When I contacted a board member about my situation I was told that, "We like Trip Advisor and don't intend to do anything about them."
So don't join expecting any advocacy on that front because you'll be sorely disappointed. I guess the 8% who are members are those who haven't had a negative experience with Trip Advisor YET.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
It is interesting to hear the history on NPC, the credit card processor, because that is exactly the situation we find ourselves in with Trip Advisor.
I think there is an inherent conflict of interest when a company is a vendor that prevents PAII from really "going after them" and protecting our interests. The only concession Trip Advisor has made so far is one that makes them even more money (the pay-per-click deal).
The other problem is that with only about 8% of the 25,000 B&Bs in the country as members, PAII really doesn't have any clout and unfortunately Trip Advisor knows it.
When I contacted a board member about my situation I was told that, "We like Trip Advisor and don't intend to do anything about them."
So don't join expecting any advocacy on that front because you'll be sorely disappointed. I guess the 8% who are members are those who haven't had a negative experience with Trip Advisor YET.
I don't understand why you are so focused about this TRIPADVISOR issue. It is a business just like any other.
Neither PAII or any other association is going to tell them what to do. They do what they do to make money...bottom line. It is here and you just have to deal with it. It is not going away. And, there are many other "review" sites on line as well. So things are only going to continue in the same direction. You can't stop all of them.
This is a free country and people will post their reviews wherever they wish and there is nothing any of us can do about it. That is just the way it is. If you don't like them, post your management response if you have the opportunity to do so and move on. There are still millions of people out there who don't look at these review sites......yet.

regular_smile.gif

Best regards,
Jay.
Great new site!
Hi Jay,
Jay
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:

Thursday Awards Lunch

Riki
Breakfast Diva said:
RIki
SweetiePie said:
GEEZ, get over it already! I'm a member of PAII and I've gotten 2 negative reviews, but I've also gotten over 60 top rated ones.. What do you expect Jay and/or PAII to do to TA? Shackle them? Beat them up so they listen? You are obsessed over this and frankly, most of us are getting tired of your rants about it. Do your management responses and if you feel it's really hurting your business, then you have to reevaluate how you do business. Get more guests to submit reviews. Period.

Back off BD!
I have as much right to express my opinion and experience as you do, without it being called a rant. It is not as simple as merely writing a management response, which I've done by the way. And yes, I do have many positive reviews and a decent score, in spite of that. So stop telling me to shut up and move on.
PAII made a big deal about ongoing meetings with Trip Advisor last year when I joined. I spent a lot of time submitting documentation about the incident, which by the way affects all of us. It had to do with Trip Advisor ignoring their own guidelines for submission of reviews and allowing something outrageous to be published. Not only that, they exploited it for their own gain. This is an area that PAII can and should be dealing with Trip Advisor about. If not them who? And I feel like I should be able to expect some type of resolution of the situation, which has yet to be forthcoming. Also, I was directed to speak with a board member about it and was disappointed at the response received.
You all have no problem holding other vendors accountable for their actions. Why is PAII exempt and treated like some "sacred cow" that no one can express an opinion about. I don't see you attacking Riki for her comments. You wouldn't have even gotten the information you did from Jay if it hadn't been for my comment.

Back off BD!
I have as much right to express my opinion and experience as you do, without it being called a rant. It is not as simple as merely writing a management response, which I've done by the way. And yes, I do have many positive reviews and a decent score, in spite of that. So stop telling me to shut up and move on.
PAII made a big deal about ongoing meetings with Trip Advisor last year when I joined. I spent a lot of time submitting documentation about the incident, which by the way affects all of us. It had to do with Trip Advisor ignoring their own guidelines for submission of reviews and allowing something outrageous to be published. Not only that, they exploited it for their own gain. This is an area that PAII can and should be dealing with Trip Advisor about. If not them who? And I feel like I should be able to expect some type of resolution of the situation, which has yet to be forthcoming. Also, I was directed to speak with a board member about it and was disappointed at the response received.
You all have no problem holding other vendors accountable for their actions. Why is PAII exempt and treated like some "sacred cow" that no one can express an opinion about. I don't see you attacking Riki for her comments. You wouldn't have even gotten the information you did from Jay if it hadn't been for my comment..
it just sounds like you have a personal vendentta against TA and maybe there are others who probably feel the same way. BUt, it is not PAII's responsibility to take care of it for you.
Jay has done a yeowmans job of trying to get TA to understand B & B's and the concerns innkeepers have. Without his actions we would be no where with them.
WHy don't you go to the conference yourself and confront the TA management to their faces? They will be there.
Honestly, we are all getting tired of hearing about you and TA.

Back off BD!
You all have no problem holding other vendors accountable for their actions. Why is PAII exempt and treated like some "sacred cow" that no one can express an opinion about. I don't see you attacking Riki for her comments. You wouldn't have even gotten the information you did from Jay if it hadn't been for my comment..
EXACTLY what resolution are you expecting and how quickly? If it relates to wanting them to verify, check, validate, alter, or remove reviews, that is the longest shot of all the issues. You need to know that up front.
If their motto wasn't "Get the Truth, Then Go," there might be lower expectations for them to do anything about the reviews, because the motto implies they are the facilitator of truth. We know false reviews get on the site, which exacerbates matters. But the bottom line is (with regard to reviews) they don't have to do ANYTHING about them. But if we keep bringing up matters of right-and-wrong, we hope they'll take a balanced approach, instead of just a traveler-centric approach. A balanced approach, after all, would be better for their travelers in the long run.
We get held accountable just like vendors. I hear opinions good and bad about PAII every day of the year. It's just preferable when people couple their negative opinions with constructive thoughts, ideas, or suggestions.

Back off BD!
SweetiePie said:
You all have no problem holding other vendors accountable for their actions. Why is PAII exempt and treated like some "sacred cow" that no one can express an opinion about. I don't see you attacking Riki for her comments. You wouldn't have even gotten the information you did from Jay if it hadn't been for my comment.
Possibly because my comments were more about the pre Jay PAII. He has brought it back to representing the B&B industry now, which I appreciate. I was simply pointing out why I did not rejoin in the past. I plan to rejoin next year.
Riki

Back off BD!
SweetiePie said:
You wouldn't have even gotten the information you did from Jay if it hadn't been for my comment.
Not true. Jay has had several long posts on his blogs that were very detailed about his meetings with TA and some of the resulting actions.
here...
here...
here...
and here.
No one needs to hold Jay's feet to the fire on dealing with Tripadvisor any more than he does himself. He is a voice for our industry when the big boys like USAToday do a story on Tripadvisor and other review sites.

Back off BD!
it just sounds like you have a personal vendentta against TA and maybe there are others who probably feel the same way. BUt, it is not PAII's responsibility to take care of it for you.
Jay has done a yeowmans job of trying to get TA to understand B & B's and the concerns innkeepers have. Without his actions we would be no where with them.
WHy don't you go to the conference yourself and confront the TA management to their faces? They will be there.
Honestly, we are all getting tired of hearing about you and TA.
Believe me, I would love to go to the conference and confront the TA management; in fact that would make an excellent webinar. However, they are not interested in changing anything about their review system or they would have answered me when I brought it up to them a year ago. Unless you are a large hotel with a lawyer on retainer, you don't get far with them.

Back off BD!
EXACTLY what resolution are you expecting and how quickly? If it relates to wanting them to verify, check, validate, alter, or remove reviews, that is the longest shot of all the issues. You need to know that up front.
If their motto wasn't "Get the Truth, Then Go," there might be lower expectations for them to do anything about the reviews, because the motto implies they are the facilitator of truth. We know false reviews get on the site, which exacerbates matters. But the bottom line is (with regard to reviews) they don't have to do ANYTHING about them. But if we keep bringing up matters of right-and-wrong, we hope they'll take a balanced approach, instead of just a traveler-centric approach. A balanced approach, after all, would be better for their travelers in the long run.
We get held accountable just like vendors. I hear opinions good and bad about PAII every day of the year. It's just preferable when people couple their negative opinions with constructive thoughts, ideas, or suggestions.
The definition of advocacy I found is as follows "the act of arguing in favour of, or supporting something; the practice of supporting someone to make their voice heard," Since I took the time to document the incident and submit it at your request, I think some feedback should have been in order.
I called your office repeatedly in the beginning, as I was holding off on taking any legal action. I never was allowed to talk to you and got nothing but excuses from your staff. Then after being referred to a board member was told that they were satisfied with the situation as it is.
I also posted a question on your blog which was never answered, nor was my question on this forum. Since part of my dues goes to paying your salary, I think I have as much right to have my questions answered as anyone else.
Apparently others are happy with your level of advocacy because they don't have a serious issue. However, I do and this behavior on your part has hardly been professional. A simple letter stating that the issue was brought up and there was nothing that could be done would have been preferable to being constantly ignored.

Back off BD!
SweetiePie said:
Possibly because my comments were more about the pre Jay PAII. He has brought it back to representing the B&B industry now, which I appreciate. I was simply pointing out why I did not rejoin in the past. I plan to rejoin next year.
Riki
I'm not aware of PAII's history pre-Jay, but a membership of 2,000 is not an overwhelming endoresment. Are things getting better? I certainly hope so.

I am well aware of those previous posts. I was referring to the current updated information.

Back off BD!
The definition of advocacy I found is as follows "the act of arguing in favour of, or supporting something; the practice of supporting someone to make their voice heard," Since I took the time to document the incident and submit it at your request, I think some feedback should have been in order.
I called your office repeatedly in the beginning, as I was holding off on taking any legal action. I never was allowed to talk to you and got nothing but excuses from your staff. Then after being referred to a board member was told that they were satisfied with the situation as it is.
I also posted a question on your blog which was never answered, nor was my question on this forum. Since part of my dues goes to paying your salary, I think I have as much right to have my questions answered as anyone else.
Apparently others are happy with your level of advocacy because they don't have a serious issue. However, I do and this behavior on your part has hardly been professional. A simple letter stating that the issue was brought up and there was nothing that could be done would have been preferable to being constantly ignored.
When we announced that we were going to approach TripAdvisor about grievances in our industry last year, there was a monumentous onslaught of emails and communications from innkeepers all over the country. We invited the comments, and the response was overwhelming. Some sent us reports and summaries that were more than 20 pages long. Since this forum allows for anonymity, if you want to offline email me to remind me which B&B you are with, I might remember what you came to us about. If you are in NM, then I know who you are and my records show that I did communicate with you. I might not have closed the loop to your liking, because there is no way I could spend as much time on individual cases and grievances as some hoped, but we definitely were in touch one-on-one. I did my best to respond to as many of the hundreds of emails and phone calls as I could, but alas, I could not get to every one of them. The concept we put out there was to collect the stories and grievances and come up with a strategy to influence change in the name of fairness - not to take on any individual innkeeper's case. I'm sorry if I was difficult to reach and if I asked one of our volunteer leaders (I think our board vice chair) to reach out to you personally. I don't often do that, but felt you deserved to still speak with a leader of our organization, if not me. This is certainly the first time anyone has called me unprofessional.
I would like to know if you're still going to pursue legal action, since it has probably been months since you first brought your issue to PAII, and you indicate above that you were holding off on legal action until you got a response from PAII. What is your basis for a suit against TripAdvisor? What law are they breaking to your knowledge? We have no plans to sue them, because we have a decent understanding of the law that protects them. Many innkeepers say they want a class action suit - but no one seems to be able to share what the basis for such a suit might be. You seem to have done as much research or thinking about the issue as any innkeeper I've encountered. I'm always open to ideas and suggestions on different ways to approach situations. Any ideas? I asked above - exactly what resolution are you expecting to happen?
It seems we need to manage your high expectations about advocacy work. Lobbying efforts RARELY achieve desired results in a matter of months or even a year or two. And, as I mentioned before, this really isn't the same as lobbying government. TripAdvisor doesn't have to listen to me at all, but to their credit so far, they have. Small changes have been made. I still have my eyes on bigger changes. If one of your guests thought your inn was a terribly-run business and lobbied you to run it differently on behalf of all your guests, how often would you meet with that guest, how quickly would you implement changes they thought you should make? I encourage you to look at matters from all angles - not just yours.
It seems you have been burned and you want to fight fire with fire. And that's understandable, but my flame-thrower remains in the closet until a more appropriate reason surfaces.
This will be the last of my responses to SweetiePie on this matter on this forum. I have other work to attend to.

Back off BD!
When we announced that we were going to approach TripAdvisor about grievances in our industry last year, there was a monumentous onslaught of emails and communications from innkeepers all over the country. We invited the comments, and the response was overwhelming. Some sent us reports and summaries that were more than 20 pages long. Since this forum allows for anonymity, if you want to offline email me to remind me which B&B you are with, I might remember what you came to us about. If you are in NM, then I know who you are and my records show that I did communicate with you. I might not have closed the loop to your liking, because there is no way I could spend as much time on individual cases and grievances as some hoped, but we definitely were in touch one-on-one. I did my best to respond to as many of the hundreds of emails and phone calls as I could, but alas, I could not get to every one of them. The concept we put out there was to collect the stories and grievances and come up with a strategy to influence change in the name of fairness - not to take on any individual innkeeper's case. I'm sorry if I was difficult to reach and if I asked one of our volunteer leaders (I think our board vice chair) to reach out to you personally. I don't often do that, but felt you deserved to still speak with a leader of our organization, if not me. This is certainly the first time anyone has called me unprofessional.
I would like to know if you're still going to pursue legal action, since it has probably been months since you first brought your issue to PAII, and you indicate above that you were holding off on legal action until you got a response from PAII. What is your basis for a suit against TripAdvisor? What law are they breaking to your knowledge? We have no plans to sue them, because we have a decent understanding of the law that protects them. Many innkeepers say they want a class action suit - but no one seems to be able to share what the basis for such a suit might be. You seem to have done as much research or thinking about the issue as any innkeeper I've encountered. I'm always open to ideas and suggestions on different ways to approach situations. Any ideas? I asked above - exactly what resolution are you expecting to happen?
It seems we need to manage your high expectations about advocacy work. Lobbying efforts RARELY achieve desired results in a matter of months or even a year or two. And, as I mentioned before, this really isn't the same as lobbying government. TripAdvisor doesn't have to listen to me at all, but to their credit so far, they have. Small changes have been made. I still have my eyes on bigger changes. If one of your guests thought your inn was a terribly-run business and lobbied you to run it differently on behalf of all your guests, how often would you meet with that guest, how quickly would you implement changes they thought you should make? I encourage you to look at matters from all angles - not just yours.
It seems you have been burned and you want to fight fire with fire. And that's understandable, but my flame-thrower remains in the closet until a more appropriate reason surfaces.
This will be the last of my responses to SweetiePie on this matter on this forum. I have other work to attend to.
No one from PAII reached out to me I'm sad to say and I'm afraid this "blame the victim" attitude I've received from the responses to these posts has been quite unattractive as well. They seem designed to demonize and label me as some sort of obsessed crackpot who doesn't know what I'm talking about.
If I treated my guests as a nuisance simply because they tried to communicate with me as PAII has done to me; I wouldn't have lasted as long as have in this business. I don't know where this arrogance comes from since the membership numbers certainly don't support it.
As far as communication goes, the fact that you have yet to respond to my question about dues; which I asked twice on this forum and specifically directed to you, speaks for itself. I guess T shirts are an acceptable topic, whereas dues are not.
Although you seem to have convinced your membership that they just have to live with Trip Advisor's actions as nothing can be done about them - that is simply not true. Defamation is completely actionable legally, as long as what is being said is not true. If you could simply put pressure on Trip Advisor to follow their own stated guidelines, you would solve 99% of innkeepers' problems with them.

Back