Do you advertise/market your green initiatives?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumitru

Reaction score
Hi all,
I think 2017 will be a year with a lot of focus on the environment and green initiatives, even though USA's next president is a climate change denier. The society and the scientific community could try and counter-act by doing more for the environment. DiCaprio's NatGeo documentary could have a big impact.
So today we published the first (in a 2-part series) article on the topic. Read: Hotel Sustainability: Why Hotels Should Go Green
As B&B owners/administrators do you have any green initiatives that are unmatched by your local competition? Is it more trouble than it is worth (financially)?
Any feedback is appreciated :)

I'm all for protecting the environment and try to recycle as I can. That said, a property that advertised as a "Green Property" I tend to stay clear of. I feel I will not get the quality for what I'm paying for. I will most likely be bombarded with comments and signs all over about how everything is Green!
It's just not something that I search out when looking to stay somewhere!

We're part of several green initiatives, including being a TA Gold Level green program. It's not hard to do, with just a few changes, and it does make sense. Since we're in Vermont, it's almost expected that we're going to be environmentally conscious. Haven't noticed that it brought or prevented us from getting any business. Have had only one guest mention it in four years.
What's worth mentioning is that most green initiatives (LED bulbs, towel programs, energy efficiency) not only help the environment, they help your bottom line.

I list on my website the things I do that happen to be green, like using all LED lighting, on-demand water heaters, etc.
That's all I do on the subject, just list the green items in a graphic image on the website.
I agree with Hillbilly that if an innkeeper seems over the edge, on a mission on the subject, I'd be afraid of being preached to at the inn, being made to feel guilty for leaving lights on, etc. So it's important to not overdo stuff.

We have on our website and in our room info the things we've done to reduce waste of all kinds. We've been state certified as well.
That said, we don't advertise it in a big way. Why not? We're not green enough. We don't source our food locally, we don't cook from scratch, we use mixes with preservatives, etc and I don't want to deal with the kind of people we got when the state first started touting the green accommodations listing.

I list on my website the things I do that happen to be green, like using all LED lighting, on-demand water heaters, etc.
That's all I do on the subject, just list the green items in a graphic image on the website.
I agree with Hillbilly that if an innkeeper seems over the edge, on a mission on the subject, I'd be afraid of being preached to at the inn, being made to feel guilty for leaving lights on, etc. So it's important to not overdo stuff..
Arks said:
I agree with Hillbilly that if an innkeeper seems over the edge, on a mission on the subject, I'd be afraid of being preached to at the inn, being made to feel guilty for leaving lights on, etc. So it's important to not overdo stuff.
This is why our websites are so important as a preview of our personalities. Yes, I use the info presented as a true representation of the Innkeeper's philosophy on many things and avoid those places that seem like the innkeeper has a hobby horse they're going to ride all the time.

Not really. And we do get people who frown at our Kuerig system. But we are good citizens. We only remove towels left on the floor. We recycle. And last year, when there was a regional drought, our lawn looked like poop.

Don't bother at all. I have a whole bunch of them and the only one who seems concerned with them is the government inspector for my points and me for costs and savings.

we sell it as Green doesn't have to be scratchy - ie we have miniatures in the bathroom but their bottles are biodegradable and so on.
Guests can be put off - it needs to almost be unseen and happen effortlessly around them.

Yes, we are green. We change out towels daily to keep trees from having to be cut down to replace our furniture and flooring on a weekly schedule. We go a step worst by having colored towels in sets so they know its clean towels since they used pink towels this morning and now there are yellow towels in the bathroom.
sad_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

They might be eco-friendly and care for the environment but right now they are on vacation so they want new towels, crank up the A/C, open the windows, turn on the fireplace heater and take an hour shower! Hey, I'm on vacation!

I am different on this issue. I think Global warming made Al Gore a VERY wealthy man (and his ilk also).
However, as a business owner, in 2004 when the WV DEP Office of Innovation was taking applications for an Environmental Management Systems class I applied and was accepted. Himself asked why? Answer - it is an exclusive thing and I want to be part of it. We went to classed in the Capital once a month for a year - and was the smallest business with no employees. That year, in addition to paying for gas and leaving home by 5 AM once a month to be in class by 8 AM (could not afford hotel), we lost about $1000 in revenue because Murphy sent a reservation request invariably the night before or the night of class (class ended at 4 PM).
Each participant had a site visit for evaluation of what could be done to be more "Green". I was told I was already doing just about everything possible (they recommended changing to those squiggly lights and that was all).
I was doing what I did because to me ECO means ECONOMICAL. My "GREEN" is in my wallet.
My towels (and socks) go in the dryer, but in good weather, my sheets and other laundry go on the clothesline. Back then I got flour in 25 lb sacks when it was on sale (neither is available at my grocery today - especially the sale). Some things have changed. I was required to post my environmental policy on my website - so it is at the bottom of my policies page. I did post that we were Green - and that brought ZERO reservations in all these years.
We are once again involved in a Sustainable thing with the WV DEP (I was the registering guinea pig because he knew I would persevere until it worked (thanks to me they found the bugs in the registration process). to help him if for no other reason. Greg really wanted us in because we were in the last effort and he knew I would keep doing what I was doing as I always had.
WV developed the environmental classes and programs used in many States - they taught classes all over the Country - and the other States developed logos to say "We are Green". My guys kept saying a logo without substance means nothing - we have to back it up with substance (which never happened). I could never convince them the Public wants to see a logo, they do not care about substance. NOW they have a logo for the new effort.
I still say - people talk the talk but DO NOT walk the walk.

Yes, we are green. We change out towels daily to keep trees from having to be cut down to replace our furniture and flooring on a weekly schedule. We go a step worst by having colored towels in sets so they know its clean towels since they used pink towels this morning and now there are yellow towels in the bathroom.
sad_smile.gif
wink_smile.gif

They might be eco-friendly and care for the environment but right now they are on vacation so they want new towels, crank up the A/C, open the windows, turn on the fireplace heater and take an hour shower! Hey, I'm on vacation!.
Have to admit most of my green is bottom line
my recycling is free as much as I can put out - non recycling is paid for collection
Extra thick double glazing - reduced my maintenance as doesn't need painting at £3000 every 3 years as well as heating and noise reduction and getting sued by guests with fingers trapped in sliding sash windows.
almost all toilet roll in the UK is recycled anyway.
cook breakfast to order - trying to reduce waste but they can't decide what they want anyway.
eco cleaning products - housekeeper used to get terrible eczema from excessive use of bleach had to ban her from using - eco solved the problem
extra thick loft insulation - warm in winter cool in summer

"I think 2017 will be a year with a lot of focus on the environment and green initiatives, even though USA's next president is a climate change denier. The society and the scientific community could try and counter-act by doing more for the environment. DiCaprio's NatGeo documentary could have a big impact."
I too, am a denier. Many scientists also agree with me, and that USA President. Thanks for bringing politics into the forum, I have plenty to say...
I am a conservationist and wish to preserve what we have for future generations, even though up until now it may not have been done to the same extent.
(But I won't say anything more, I seem to recall you broached the subject the last time too. But if you come to the hills and hollows you may find many who recycle repurpose and reuse and try to live a careful life where they don't waste resources.)

"I think 2017 will be a year with a lot of focus on the environment and green initiatives, even though USA's next president is a climate change denier. The society and the scientific community could try and counter-act by doing more for the environment. DiCaprio's NatGeo documentary could have a big impact."
I too, am a denier. Many scientists also agree with me, and that USA President. Thanks for bringing politics into the forum, I have plenty to say...
I am a conservationist and wish to preserve what we have for future generations, even though up until now it may not have been done to the same extent.
(But I won't say anything more, I seem to recall you broached the subject the last time too. But if you come to the hills and hollows you may find many who recycle repurpose and reuse and try to live a careful life where they don't waste resources.).
Yes, in the hills and hollers as we call them, VERY little gets wasted. Money is too hard to come by to just throw something out and buy new. I was raised by a product of the Depression - a Chicago product where there was no such thing as a garden or feed sacks to use to make clothes. It was used, hand-me-down, remake, and find another use for it. We did have a huge garden, cows, and chickens - but nothing was wasted.
Southern West Virginia has been hard hit by unemployment - much more than my region. The affluent waste a lot more than the bottom of the economy - and they are the ones beating the "green" drums.

(But I won't say anything more, I seem to recall you broached the subject the last time too. But if you come to the hills and hollows you may find many who recycle repurpose and reuse and try to live a careful life where they don't waste resources.).
Did NOT have the intention of bringing the political aspect of climate change into this, but it is a popular term and something to be considered, but not from the political point of view, but the results of it.
If an innkeeper is a climate change denier or not doesn't make much of a difference, just the same as being a vegan or not, being a gluten-free whatever or not... Your stance on these issues is not that important, but they ARE important for the business.
But as Norm McDonald used to say: "But what do I know? I'm just a guy... "

Did NOT have the intention of bringing the political aspect of climate change into this, but it is a popular term and something to be considered, but not from the political point of view, but the results of it.
If an innkeeper is a climate change denier or not doesn't make much of a difference, just the same as being a vegan or not, being a gluten-free whatever or not... Your stance on these issues is not that important, but they ARE important for the business.
But as Norm McDonald used to say: "But what do I know? I'm just a guy... "
If it can put heads in beds, it is GOOD.

Climate change is real, and any innkeeper who runs their business near an east coast ski resort knows it and is scared to death of it.

Climate change is real, and any innkeeper who runs their business near an east coast ski resort knows it and is scared to death of it..
I am not saying climate change is not real. The climate does change because Mother Nature changes. It is in cycles, just like the rest of life. I can remember hearing the world was freezing and turning to ice. Now the cycle is in a warmer trend perhaps but will then enter another cycle of change.

We hired a housekeeper who would only work with 'natural' products. We bought a whole bunch of cleaning products just for her use and she quit within days. Oh well.

We hired a housekeeper who would only work with 'natural' products. We bought a whole bunch of cleaning products just for her use and she quit within days. Oh well..
TheBeachHouse said:
We hired a housekeeper who would only work with 'natural' products. We bought a whole bunch of cleaning products just for her use and she quit within days. Oh well.
Our one green housekeeper brought her own supplies and then asked us to buy these for her to use. Worked out well for everyone.
Gomez coughs and sneezes thru every bathroom clean and refuses to see the connection between the products he's spraying everywhere and his reaction to them.

Back