Do you ever feel you oversold yourself or your area?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never say this is a gourmet breakfast and yet guests write reviews saying it wasn't. Right. It's not. But why are you saying it wasn't when no one told you it was? Because they EXPECT gourmet at a B&B. Sorry, here it's diner food. If we did more hash browns and corned beef hash then I would actually state 'diner-style' on the website..
I'm know that we use the word "gourmet" ..... and I shudder every time. I am telling you, that without question, DH and I would chose a B&B that offered a diner breakfast every single time. Trouble is - it's the most difficult option with a residential kitchen. I used to offer a diner style option, but not any more. Producing something local and "pretty" (read gourmet) has worked for guests and my sanity. Of course, I always aim to have a squadron of alternatives available just in case, but I don't offer my diner-style option up front any more.
p.s. By diner style option I meant, if you don't want my special then choose from eggs any way you want them with sausage or bacon or a stack of pancakes. Other wiser innkeepers thought I was insane. They were right.
ukmaineiac said:
p.s. By diner style option I meant, if you don't want my special then choose from eggs any way you want them with sausage or bacon or a stack of pancakes. Other wiser innkeepers thought I was insane. They were right.
I would LOVE to do a short menu. My kitchen is a tad smaller than yours. And, yes, I thought you were crazy with your menu doing all of it on your own!
I think we would have half the issues we have now if I could whip out an order pad and pull a pen out of my beehive hairdo and smack my gum at the guests! Even if the options were: 1. what we were planning anyway; 2. eggs however, 3. pancakes. But I know we would still get the ones who wanted all of it or none of it.
Madeleine said:
ukmaineiac said:
I would LOVE to do a short menu. My kitchen is a tad smaller than yours. And, yes, I thought you were crazy with your menu doing all of it on your own!
I think we would have half the issues we have now if I could whip out an order pad and pull a pen out of my beehive hairdo and smack my gum at the guests! Even if the options were: 1. what we were planning anyway; 2. eggs however, 3. pancakes. But I know we would still get the ones who wanted all of it or none of it.
gum smacking and calling them darlin'

I never say this is a gourmet breakfast and yet guests write reviews saying it wasn't. Right. It's not. But why are you saying it wasn't when no one told you it was? Because they EXPECT gourmet at a B&B. Sorry, here it's diner food. If we did more hash browns and corned beef hash then I would actually state 'diner-style' on the website..
I'm know that we use the word "gourmet" ..... and I shudder every time. I am telling you, that without question, DH and I would chose a B&B that offered a diner breakfast every single time. Trouble is - it's the most difficult option with a residential kitchen. I used to offer a diner style option, but not any more. Producing something local and "pretty" (read gourmet) has worked for guests and my sanity. Of course, I always aim to have a squadron of alternatives available just in case, but I don't offer my diner-style option up front any more.
When we refurbished our most popular room last winter I started calling it the "Deluxe" double, I wondered if I was overselling it, but it seems to have worked.
the people before us used to call the larger doubles Executive - what does that really mean?

When we refurbished our most popular room last winter I started calling it the "Deluxe" double, I wondered if I was overselling it, but it seems to have worked.
the people before us used to call the larger doubles Executive - what does that really mean?
The problem I now have is that this winter the current twin room will be refurbished and the ziplink beds are going in the back room and the twin will become a double. So what do I call it as I'll now have two front double deluxes?
Should I adopt room names?

The problem I now have is that this winter the current twin room will be refurbished and the ziplink beds are going in the back room and the twin will become a double. So what do I call it as I'll now have two front double deluxes?
Highlands John said:
Yes! Use local names, too! Mt something or other, Nessie, town names, whatever. Places with room numbers or odd names like 'big room' are not creating atmosphere as the guest is looking. (Altho, one place I looked at had a room called 'elbow' which I thought was funny.)
Color names are boring. So you want evocative names.

Names can evolve over time, too. One of our cottages used to be called the "Halfway House" (because it was halfway between the shore and the top of the hill), but that has a different connotation in recent decades than it did 60 years ago, so now it is known as the Hillside Cottage (because it is on a hillside, inventive aren't we?).
On "elbow," we have our high season, our shoulder season, and what I've taken to calling our elbow season, which is the period between the shoulder season and low season...).

Highlands John said:
I have many guests who choose a room based on its name. I will tell you now that if you had a loch ee name on one make it the most priced, they will book that one every time! I wish I knew this way back...every overseas guest wants the room with BLUE in its name, for obv reasons here. Go for it!

The name of our cottage is often misspoke and called the wash room. It is horrid. The name is what the building used to be, and I didn't name it that, it was a gift shop prev, so we went with the name, but are using The Love Shack predominantly, and it appeals to the younger crowd and the fun crowd.

Highlands John said:
Yes! Use local names, too! Mt something or other, Nessie, town names, whatever. Places with room numbers or odd names like 'big room' are not creating atmosphere as the guest is looking. (Altho, one place I looked at had a room called 'elbow' which I thought was funny.)
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
We renamed the rooms when we moved in. The rooms were named for quarters in a ship - Captains, First Mates, Chart House, Wheel House, etc. We changed them to better suit our personality and named them after the beaches in town. Old Garden Beach, Cape Hedge Beach, Loblolly Cove, Pebble Beach, etc. Much more casual. But also, more about the town.

ukmaineiac said:
Madeleine said:
ukmaineiac said:
Do what they did in My Cousin Vinny. The menu at the diner read, "Breakfast - $2.00
Lunch - $4.00
Dinner - $6.00"
Vinny and Mona decided to order, "Breakfast."

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
We renamed the rooms when we moved in. The rooms were named for quarters in a ship - Captains, First Mates, Chart House, Wheel House, etc. We changed them to better suit our personality and named them after the beaches in town. Old Garden Beach, Cape Hedge Beach, Loblolly Cove, Pebble Beach, etc. Much more casual. But also, more about the town.
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
I would have fun shortening your room names if I lived there or visited, or worked there
The Hedge
Pebbles
The Lob
haha!

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
I would have fun shortening your room names if I lived there or visited, or worked there
The Hedge
Pebbles
The Lob
haha!
:)

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
Like those much better!
I have one room left to rename. Probably this winter when I redo it the name will change.

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Highlands John said:
The Hedge
Pebbles
The Lob
haha!
:)
TheBeachHouse said:
Your Loblolly caught my eye. They are a southern pine primarily.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Does this room have log furniture? Just asking, see this is what I would look at, what is it in the room that gave it that name. I know one innkeeper here has her rooms from a foursquare house, set up via directional location, sw, nw (and named similar to that with a local name added).
FUN STUFF!

We had a very hard time naming our suites. As we are in wine country and have beautiful lake views and valley views .They are most surprised at one rooms breakfasts . They are amazed at the diversity of our meals and how they are presented.
The only problem we seem to have is they are always amazed at how large the suites are. Even though we say it is xyz. sq feet. Their first reaction is my this is all ours. ! Yes it is !!!!
Like you HJ we have guest questionnaires which can help us in many ways.
We are most surprised at how people imagine what Canadians looks like?? I think most are surprised to see how hot it is here and telling them we get very little snow. Our winter are only a few months. Our tourist offices just don't bother to market us as a winter destination, which is too bad. Our winters are so mild with very little snow yet with in 45 mins.drive they can be skiing.

We advertise our local areas of interest as "hidden gems" thereby conveying the idea that they may not be apparent to the casual observer.
I've gone to great lengths to weed out the crap and highlight areas of actual interest. It helps to provide an itinerary. We customize these based on interests. We have a winery trail, an antiques trail, an outdoor activities trail etc.
We've personally eaten at the various restaurants and checked out each activity location. We have just enough to see and do on a weekend getaway.
We've also networked with many of these locations and have procured discounts for our guests. It's a win win for both businesses.

Just saw this!
How to lose a new customer
"I just experienced a frustrating example, of someone needlessly over promising regarding the service they provide. It was a great example of how to lose a new customer."
Follow that article with this one...it is good fodder.

Just saw this!
How to lose a new customer
"I just experienced a frustrating example, of someone needlessly over promising regarding the service they provide. It was a great example of how to lose a new customer."
Follow that article with this one...it is good fodder..
Oddly, it seems the thing that people remember the most is the thing we never come right out and mention - the helpful advice over breakfast. 2 days ago there were 3 maps spread out in the dining room and I was happily giving directions for 3 separate road trips. Guests leaving today said it was a wonderful route and spot on with the scenery, etc.
One couple stayed a second night at another B&B. THAT innkeeper emailed and said I was a fraud! She said the guests said I was a little social butterfly flitting from table to table helping everyone, asking about dinner and their plans, what did they see the day before, how did they like whatever, did they see this too, etc. She only sees me at the end of the day when I want to crawl into a hole and pull the ground over my head.

Back