Do you ever serve rolls or breads that are not sweet?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean as part of the main course, then yes, frequently. I'll often do cheddar scones or herbed buttermilk biscuits instead of toast (plated alongside the egg dish).
If you're asking about the "auxilliary" baked goods, then yes but rarely. I always offer a baked good on the sideboard. Usually sweet -- muffins, sweet loaf, coffee cake, ginger scones. Once in a while I'll do a savoury scone instead. But only if the main course is a sweet breakfast..
Ditto

We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore..
birdwatcher said:
We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore.
Same here. I do a different variety each morning. Granary, Farmhouse White (this morning), poppy seed, buttermilk, maple and oatmeal.....
It's probably the single thing we get most +ve comments about.
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore.
Same here. I do a different variety each morning. Granary, Farmhouse White (this morning), poppy seed, buttermilk, maple and oatmeal.....
Corner bakeries left the USA eons ago, that is what I miss most about Australia, the bread shops! I can smell them now as I type this, I can absolutely guarantee that is a real treat for your guests!
Heck even the desserts like the fresh chocolate almond croissants and vanilla slices - we just don't have that here anymore in the day of the supermarket unless they are high end markets.
When I lived down under grocery stores closed at 6pm and there was Thursday night late night shopping - when everyone went, we did, we had to, after work, I know that has now changed as well. It was the same here in I think the 1950s. There were no 24 hour stores, even my sister in Ireland has the Superquinn now.
Bigger is not necessarily better.
JB, you can get the corner bakeries in bigger cities. I just experienced this during my trip to Maryland. I had some of the best authentic bagels ever from a small bake shop! And the case of baked goodies that I resisted....

Yes, not every day, but yes. Options include a sourdough loaf, with spreads (usually butter, honey butter, white chocolate peanut butter, and a fruit spread); biscuits (not standard southern biscuits, more like a pumpkin based biscuit).
I have made meat kolaches, which are very popular in this region (sort of an ethnic pig in a blanket, except they taste better). NO ONE touched them. For me, they are too pricey to throw away (DH isn't fond and 2 of my 3 kids can't eat the brioche dough because of the butter and if I ate them leftover, I wouldn't fit through the door...). So, I just don't offer them any more..
Red Handed Jill said:
Yes, not every day, but yes. Options include a sourdough loaf, with spreads (usually butter, honey butter, white chocolate peanut butter, and a fruit spread); biscuits (not standard southern biscuits, more like a pumpkin based biscuit).
I have made meat kolaches, which are very popular in this region (sort of an ethnic pig in a blanket, except they taste better). NO ONE touched them. For me, they are too pricey to throw away (DH isn't fond and 2 of my 3 kids can't eat the brioche dough because of the butter and if I ate them leftover, I wouldn't fit through the door...). So, I just don't offer them any more.
Popular staple in Australia are sausage rolls. I have made them for the family, but not guests. Although they might enjoy them, if I give them the Aussie info. Of course, getting back to those bakeries, they made the best! mmm
here they are with meat pies, another Aussie staple.
Pie%20and%20Sausage%20Roll%20Group%20Shot.JPG

JB, after being gone for a week recently, I've decided that the food where I live really is not only unhealthy, but lousy. sigh....
You're killing me!!
Oh, and the supermarkets here are much higher in their prices for their awful selection. sigh...

We serve fresh baked bread or sourdough or rolls. Sometimes i will put out muffins, but most of the time its fresh baked bread guests are always impressed and the house smells wonderful in the mornings...you just dont get homemade bread anymore..
birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Corner bakeries left the USA eons ago, that is what I miss most about Australia, the bread shops! I can smell them now as I type this, I can absolutely guarantee that is a real treat for your guests!
Heck even the desserts like the fresh chocolate almond croissants and vanilla slices - we just don't have that here anymore in the day of the supermarket unless they are high end markets.
When I lived down under grocery stores closed at 6pm and there was Thursday night late night shopping - when everyone went, we did, we had to, after work, I know that has now changed as well. It was the same here in I think the 1950s. There were no 24 hour stores, even my sister in Ireland has the Superquinn now.
JB, you can get the corner bakeries in bigger cities. I just experienced this during my trip to Maryland. I had some of the best authentic bagels ever from a small bake shop! And the case of baked goodies that I resisted....
Samster said:
Sure of course you can. In Australia they are not in bigger cities, they are in every town and petrol station on the road anywhere and everywhere. Even in school they have "Tuck shops" where they have the same fresh baked yummy stuff. Every little out of the way place still has a bakery.

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
Sure of course you can. In Australia they are not in bigger cities, they are in every town and petrol station on the road anywhere and everywhere. Even in school they have "Tuck shops" where they have the same fresh baked yummy stuff. Every little out of the way place still has a bakery.
Well, we can't get anything here, so there you have it....
I am ready to MOVE!! hahahahahaha... No seriously....

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
We should compile a list of what we need in our next house/location!

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
Madeleine said:
We always say we want to retire near a Wegman's and a Trader Joe's. Plus a library and bookstore.

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
Madeleine said:
View of the Rocky Mountains from one side of the house and view of NO ONE from the other. :)

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
Madeleine said:
My list is so long and totally mutually exclusive I don't know where to start. A side street in Paris overlooking the ocean. I want all of what Paris has to offer (food, culture, wine, museums, places to walk, interesting people, big city/small town life) but with an ocean view. And without the snobs you get in exclusive seaside resorts anywhere.

A better question for me is where do I want to vacation...that is where I enjoy all those things I do not have here. Each place I have lived holds a different beauty and love for me. I know them all like the back of my hand. I like to explore. I would give up corner bakeries (in this country) to not have crime and derelicts and traffic - a no brainer for me. So many amazing places so little time!

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
Madeleine said:
My list is so long and totally mutually exclusive I don't know where to start. A side street in Paris overlooking the ocean. I want all of what Paris has to offer (food, culture, wine, museums, places to walk, interesting people, big city/small town life) but with an ocean view. And without the snobs you get in exclusive seaside resorts anywhere.
Don't want to point this out, but Madeleine now you quote yourself? haha Innkeeper split personality mode, aka a long day in a long week in a long month in a long season!

I am where I want to be already. I do think - considering what my knees and back have been saying to me this evening - a ranch-style looks awful good right now, but it has to have a big front porch like the one I rarely have been able to sit on and enjoy.

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
Madeleine said:
Don't want to point this out, but Madeleine now you quote yourself? haha Innkeeper split personality mode, aka a long day in a long week in a long month in a long season!
Uh oh. I need a break.

birdwatcher said:
Highlands John said:
birdwatcher said:
Samster said:
I agree....and I started my list already!!
regular_smile.gif

A better question for me is where do I want to vacation...that is where I enjoy all those things I do not have here. Each place I have lived holds a different beauty and love for me. I know them all like the back of my hand. I like to explore. I would give up corner bakeries (in this country) to not have crime and derelicts and traffic - a no brainer for me. So many amazing places so little time!.
JB, Living within 30 minutes of an International airport is on my list for that reason!
Unfortunately, where I live has a violent crime rate that is high per capita. And it's not getting any better really. About 2 years and counting....

Back