Do you give away guest rooms if they don't show up and don't answer their phone?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm dumbfounded to read how many people don't take deposits or first one or two nights.
We have a two-night minimum, 3 nights on weekend holidays, take 50% up front and the balance 30 days out. Cancel prior to 30 days before arrival and you are charged a 15% penalty against the entire reservation, not just on the deposit amount. Cancel 30 to 14 days prior and the penalty is 25%. Cancel less than 14 days prior to arrival; no refund on deposit unless it can be rebooked. And NO refund whatsoever for early departure regardless of the reason.
Why would you leave yourself open to abuse and extreme inconvenience doing otherwise? You have to protect your inventory..
tar4heel2 said:
I'm dumbfounded to read how many people don't take deposits or first one or two nights.
We have a two-night minimum, 3 nights on weekend holidays, take 50% up front and the balance 30 days out. Cancel prior to 30 days before arrival and you are charged a 15% penalty against the entire reservation, not just on the deposit amount. Cancel 30 to 14 days prior and the penalty is 25%. Cancel less than 14 days prior to arrival; no refund on deposit unless it can be rebooked. And NO refund whatsoever for early departure regardless of the reason.
Why would you leave yourself open to abuse and extreme inconvenience doing otherwise? You have to protect your inventory.
different strokes for different folks. Sometimes being the "post-it police" is not worth it, the hassle, the time, the irritation. Having an overabundance of rules for a few who ruffle our feathers is just not on.
We will refund if we want to, we won't penalize people by having extreme cancellation policies. Stuff happens, we run a business that is all about people, we are in the people business. They are in our home. Nuff said.
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
Why would you leave yourself open to abuse and extreme inconvenience doing otherwise? You have to protect your inventory.
"ruffle our feathers"?
we run a business that is all about people, we are in the people business. They are in our home. Nuff said.
I understand your sentiment, but not securing the payment for your services is just not good business. I respectfully submit that losing 2 or 3 nights revenue is a bit more than "...ruffling our feathers".
Yes, you run a business, NOT a flop-house. Before we changed our view on this we did about what you describe; try to work with people, be sympathetic, not enforcing policies every time... then we took a look and were shocked to discover we were GIVING AWAY $40 to $60,000 a year in refunds and last minute cancellations!
Take a minute and seriously examine exactly how much money you are flat-out GIVING AWAY by folding for people who can't get their act together. You can't conduct yourself as a "sometime-free-service" and "sometime-paid-service"! You can be pleasant but business-like, firm but respectful, and not alienate the public.
tar4heel2 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
"ruffle our feathers"?
we run a business that is all about people, we are in the people business. They are in our home. Nuff said.
I understand your sentiment, but not securing the payment for your services is just not good business. I respectfully submit that losing 2 or 3 nights revenue is a bit more than "...ruffling our feathers".
Yes, you run a business, NOT a flop-house. Before we changed our view on this we did about what you describe; try to work with people, be sympathetic, not enforcing policies every time... then we took a look and were shocked to discover we were GIVING AWAY $40 to $60,000 a year in refunds and last minute cancellations!
Take a minute and seriously examine exactly how much money you are flat-out GIVING AWAY by folding for people who can't get their act together. You can't conduct yourself as a "sometime-free-service" and "sometime-paid-service"! You can be pleasant but business-like, firm but respectful, and not alienate the public.
You know what needs to be professional, a website. You see the guests we have are not like your guests apparently, ours show up, they pay up. I have only had one cancellation this year because the dude's best friend called off the wedding, and they paid for the stay anyway. I am not giving away ANY THING.
We obv have different guest demographics.
My business is GREAT BUSINESS. I love what I do. I do not want a business of being a hall monitor and treating guests poorly. I am not a hotel, I am a real person. Again, back to the website thing, that says a lot about the place where you are staying. Do you have online reservations set up? People will have to click and agree to your policies.
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
"ruffle our feathers"?
You know what needs to be professional, a website. You see the guests we have are not like your guests apparently, ours show up, they pay up. I have only had one cancellation this year because the dude's best friend called off the wedding, and they paid for the stay anyway. I am not giving away ANY THING.
My business is GREAT BUSINESS. I love what I do. I do not want a business of being a hall monitor and treating guests poorly. I am not a hotel, I am a real person. Again, back to the website thing, that says a lot about the place where you are staying. Do you have online reservations set up? People will have to click and agree to your policies.
Yep, absolutely! I think you've been very lucky so far... I love what I do too, but I'm getting very impatient with people who want me to pay for their problems. And I'm seeing more and more of the "refund trollers". More power to you if it works for you, but again, I respectfully suggest you might look and see what real impact your practices are having. Maybe none, but you should examine it anyway. But in reading posts from other people, I'm not so sure others are as lucky as you!!

Why would you leave yourself open to abuse and extreme inconvenience doing otherwise? You have to protect your inventory..
tar4heel2 said:
different strokes for different folks. Sometimes being the "post-it police" is not worth it, the hassle, the time, the irritation. Having an overabundance of rules for a few who ruffle our feathers is just not on.
We will refund if we want to, we won't penalize people by having extreme cancellation policies. Stuff happens, we run a business that is all about people, we are in the people business. They are in our home. Nuff said.
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
"ruffle our feathers"?
tar4heel2 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
"ruffle our feathers"?
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
Joey Bloggs said:
tar4heel2 said:
"ruffle our feathers"?
Yep, absolutely! I think you've been very lucky so far... I love what I do too, but I'm getting very impatient with people who want me to pay for their problems. And I'm seeing more and more of the "refund trollers". More power to you if it works for you, but again, I respectfully suggest you might look and see what real impact your practices are having. Maybe none, but you should examine it anyway. But in reading posts from other people, I'm not so sure others are as lucky as you!!
[/quote]
[/quote]
Okay I will stop posting on this thread, I have found your inn online, and the TA reviews.

You must be in a high occupancy area. A lot of us are not.
We just started taking deposits 2 years ago. Last year we went to having a flat fee for cancellations. We have a one week cancellation period.
We started operations with a 14 day cancellation period and no deposit. We had people screaming at us on the phone when we told them we were going to charge their card if no one booked their room. No amount of money is worth that kind of abuse.
Now we find other B&B's in walking distance to us have lowered their cancellation periods to 72 hours and they don't charge a deposit. 3 night min? Never in a million years. It's hard to get a 2-night min on a holiday.
The reason I mention this is because not every area supports the kind of policy you have. Of course you can force that policy but you take the chance of not getting the reservations you need to survive. If I implemented a year-round 2-night min, I'd be empty 80% of the year.
Madeleine said:
We just started taking deposits 2 years ago. Last year we went to having a flat fee for cancellations. We have a one week cancellation period.
We started operations with a 14 day cancellation period and no deposit. We had people screaming at us on the phone when we told them we were going to charge their card if no one booked their room. No amount of money is worth that kind of abuse.
Now we find other B&B's in walking distance to us have lowered their cancellation periods to 72 hours and they don't charge a deposit. 3 night min? Never in a million years. It's hard to get a 2-night min on a holiday.
The reason I mention this is because not every area supports the kind of policy you have. Of course you can force that policy but you take the chance of not getting the reservations you need to survive. If I implemented a year-round 2-night min, I'd be empty 80% of the year.
Yes, we're in a high occupancy area for summer only. The rest of the time guests have choices. It's all in how you go about it. State your policy from the beginning. And make it an integral part of your ON-LINE reservation policy. Meaning, that before they click on "send" they have to check that they read AND UNDERSTAND the cancellation/charge procedure. (If you are not using an on-line reservation system you're shooting yourself in the foot on several levels.) Then, if they are sizing you up for a refund they will think twice about asking for refunds because THEY KNOW what they agreed to. And your job of turning them down or securing your funds from the reservation is that much easier. We NEVER have problems securing final payment 30 days out. If the reservation is made within the 30 days prior to arrival GET 100% OF THE RESERVATION!
I recently stayed in a very nice boutique hotel in Aspen, and made the reservations about 3 weeks in advance. The documentation said "30 days prior we secure all funds". The on-line reservation system was down, so I called and she made the reservation for just the first night. I reminding her we were within 30 days and she apologized and took the whole amount for the reservation. (I wanted to have it paid anyway...).
The more wiggle room you give your guests the more they will take advantage of it.
tar4heel2 said:
Yes, we're in a high occupancy area for summer only. The rest of the time guests have choices. It's all in how you go about it. State your policy from the beginning. And make it an integral part of your ON-LINE reservation policy. Meaning, that before they click on "send" they have to check that they read AND UNDERSTAND the cancellation/charge procedure. (If you are not using an on-line reservation system you're shooting yourself in the foot on several levels.) Then, if they are sizing you up for a refund they will think twice about asking for refunds because THEY KNOW what they agreed to. And your job of turning them down or securing your funds from the reservation is that much easier. We NEVER have problems securing final payment 30 days out. If the reservation is made within the 30 days prior to arrival GET 100% OF THE RESERVATION!
The more wiggle room you give your guests the more they will take advantage of it.
I have a very clear policy on my website and the same clear policy in my online booking software. I'm comfortable collecting the deposit on booking and the rest on arrival.
Altho I can say unreservedly that we NEVER 'gave away' the thousands of dollars you mention, the year we 'lost' $1800 in one week due to bad credit cards and no shows or late cancellations or leaving early was the year we instituted the deposit policy.
This year, with the deposit in place, we have had fewer cancellations at any point in the process and we have kept the deposits in only 2 instances where the guest either canceled too late and we did not rebook or they failed to show up at all.
You are happy with your system and I am happy with mine. And that's what makes the world go 'round.

Madeleine said:
I recently stayed in a very nice boutique hotel in Aspen, and made the reservations about 3 weeks in advance. The documentation said "30 days prior we secure all funds". The on-line reservation system was down, so I called and she made the reservation for just the first night. I reminding her we were within 30 days and she apologized and took the whole amount for the reservation. (I wanted to have it paid anyway...).
tar4heel2 said:
I have a very clear policy on my website and the same clear policy in my online booking software. I'm comfortable collecting the deposit on booking and the rest on arrival.
Altho I can say unreservedly that we NEVER 'gave away' the thousands of dollars you mention, the year we 'lost' $1800 in one week due to bad credit cards and no shows or late cancellations or leaving early was the year we instituted the deposit policy.
This year, with the deposit in place, we have had fewer cancellations at any point in the process and we have kept the deposits in only 2 instances where the guest either canceled too late and we did not rebook or they failed to show up at all.
You are happy with your system and I am happy with mine. And that's what makes the world go 'round.
Madeleine said:
tar4heel2 said:
Amen! Can't argue with that! :)

Madeleine said:
When did our guests become the enemy?

Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't mean to make it sound that way, they are not... I just think you have to try to reduce losses by sticking to clearly delineated refund and charge policies and then enforcing them to a greater extent. I LOVE guests, but I hate losing money because I find it hard to say no. Sorry, I certainly did not mean to convey that wrong idea!

Madeleine said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't mean to make it sound that way, they are not... I just think you have to try to reduce losses by sticking to clearly delineated refund and charge policies and then enforcing them to a greater extent. I LOVE guests, but I hate losing money because I find it hard to say no. Sorry, I certainly did not mean to convey that wrong idea!
Well, your policies are speaking volumes. How are they translating into reservations? Are people booking at the last minute or booking months in advance?
Are you their first choice or their last choice? Are you filling because they want to stay with you or because they can't find elsewhere?
My reservations for December are already ahead of last year. My competition? I checked their December... not a reservation.

Interesting that your cancellation policy is so far out at 30 days. As a former owner/innkeeper and frequent B&B guest, I would probably not book your place. But, I guess that you're really busy so can have that kind of a policy in place which is fantastic. There's no way that we could have had that restrictive of a policy here. But we had an urban B&B and a lot of our guests were here for specific events and we had a large group of biz travelers through our university. I had a 72 hour policy and had hardly any cancellations.
I think most innkeepers here have firm policies in place. But sometimes, making an exception avoids heartburn for the innkeeper and the guest.

Interesting that your cancellation policy is so far out at 30 days. As a former owner/innkeeper and frequent B&B guest, I would probably not book your place. But, I guess that you're really busy so can have that kind of a policy in place which is fantastic. There's no way that we could have had that restrictive of a policy here. But we had an urban B&B and a lot of our guests were here for specific events and we had a large group of biz travelers through our university. I had a 72 hour policy and had hardly any cancellations.
I think most innkeepers here have firm policies in place. But sometimes, making an exception avoids heartburn for the innkeeper and the guest.
We also have a 30 day policy for cancellations and we stick to it during our busy summer season. We get some folks who reserve a week during the summer as early as January and then wait until the last minute to cancel to get their refund. If we had a shorter period they would wait longer and we might not be able to rebook the entire reservation period. But during the slow season, although the policy is in place, we can make exceptions...and we do. But it is our choice, not our obligation.

Back