Do you have a 'candy bowl' in the inn?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep seeing how many folks offer peanut butter cookies regularly.
How often does the peanut allergic guest request something else?.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
How often does the peanut allergic guest request something else?
You know, it's funny - as prevalent as that allergy is, I have never had any guest tell me they had the death allergy to peanuts. Walnuts, yes, but not peanuts. Presumably they would mention that in the dietary restrictions. Of course, I wouldn't put out peanut butter cookies if a guest were allergic.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
You know, it's funny - as prevalent as that allergy is, I have never had any guest tell me they had the death allergy to peanuts. Walnuts, yes, but not peanuts. Presumably they would mention that in the dietary restrictions. Of course, I wouldn't put out peanut butter cookies if a guest were allergic.
muirford said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Neither have I!
I know someone who can't eat walnuts, but can eat peanuts. Never a guest though.

I used to do Jolly Ranchers and Starlight Mints, but they didn't get eaten. Now I have a bowl of Wintergreen Lifesavers, each individually wrapped, bought in bulk at our foodservice company's store. A big big hit and inexpensive!
Edited to add: Hot summer days with high humidity wreaked havoc on JR and SM. I ended up throwing away far more than were ever eaten. The lifesavers are always eaten, and the humidity has no effect..no sticky-stuck-to-the-wrapper mess, ever!.
Great idea. I may do that. In fact I have some Wintergreen Lifesavers in the kitchen now and I know I can get them at Costco's. I used to put out Ghiradelli chocolates but it ended up being one for the guests, two for me. I CAN NOT RESIST CHOCOLATE.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
If someone has mentioned a peanut allergy, I don't make the pnut butter cookies that day. If someone is gluten intolerant, good day for the pnut butter cookies. If someone has some other odd allergy I can't work the snack around, I make the grand assumption that they carry their own snacks and just label what's out in re the ingredients. Somedays I just bag the whole thing and throw a bowl of fruit on the counter.
Other than little kids, we've never had a stated peanut allergy. We get 'tree nut' allergies, tho. Hope I wasn't misunderstanding them on the phone...

we have been at our inn for 2 years and we have not had 1 nut allergy person yet. vegetarians, yes. but that is not a problem since we do not normally serve breakfast meats anyway. once in a blu moon we have a side of pecan pepper bacon and occasionally i will use proscuitto or pancetta in a dish.

I keep a bowl of individually wrapped wintergreen lifesavers in my entranceway that I pick up at BJ's, and the good chocolates in the B&B rooms.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
If someone has mentioned a peanut allergy, I don't make the pnut butter cookies that day. If someone is gluten intolerant, good day for the pnut butter cookies. If someone has some other odd allergy I can't work the snack around, I make the grand assumption that they carry their own snacks and just label what's out in re the ingredients. Somedays I just bag the whole thing and throw a bowl of fruit on the counter.
Other than little kids, we've never had a stated peanut allergy. We get 'tree nut' allergies, tho. Hope I wasn't misunderstanding them on the phone...
I believe peanuts grow on vines on the ground so I would take that to mean any nut hat grows on a tree - walnut, pecan... - is the allergy.

I think I've had one peanut allergy, and it wasn't a "deadly" one. The rest of the family ate the cookies.
If I know in advance I make chocolate chip or something instead.
=)
Kk.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I believe peanuts grow on vines on the ground so I would take that to mean any nut hat grows on a tree - walnut, pecan... - is the allergy.
gillumhouse said:
Under the ground. A unique nut for sure! Specifically walnut allergies seem to be more common, but we always hear about peanut allergies - probably as they are fatal.
I have a black walnut allergy - after I opened one once like a ninny and had black fingers for two weeks! They grow everywhere here. Lesson learned!

Bree said:
Do you have a centrally-located candy bowl in the inn? Not candy placed in guest rooms or on pillows, just a bowl somewhere with chocolates or other candy?
If you do, a couple of questions...what kind of candy do you have out (chocolates, hard candy, etc)? About how much do you think it costs? If you can calc this, how much by piece?
I ask because I'm thinking of getting this really good chocolate candy that the local wine store has to put in the inn. It is definitely 'grown up' chocolate with flavors like Earl Grey and orange slice. But, it's a lot more expensive per piece (even wholesale) than something like Hershey kisses would be.
We do. What we do is put out the bowl of regular chocolate (hershy's etc mix from Sam's Club) for "round the clock" munchies. The expensive ones would be devoured immediately, I know.
Then, in the evening when they are out for dinner, we put out in the tasting room our local Gerhart's Chocolates, two per person with their port glasses in the evening. It's on a little tray with the paper showing what is in each chocolate so they can pour their port and take it with the chocolate into their rooms. We tell them this at check in so they know to look for it.
We have in two years only had on couple eat both room's chocolates.
Since you seem to have people who might do so, I'd recommed putting a chocolate for each person on the pillow or nightstand when you turn the room for their chocolate turndown.
Our local fellow gives us a wholesale discount now since we buy them for the tours and the B&B. I think they wholesale for $1.50 each.
Riki

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
gillumhouse said:
Under the ground. A unique nut for sure! Specifically walnut allergies seem to be more common, but we always hear about peanut allergies - probably as they are fatal.
I have a black walnut allergy - after I opened one once like a ninny and had black fingers for two weeks! They grow everywhere here. Lesson learned!
Thanks I thought so be did not have time yesterday to verify so figured ground was close enough to differentiate.
No guests until Wednesday so I can just maybe perhaps take a nap today. I am ready for one right now after yesterday's marathon day.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
gillumhouse said:
Actually, peanuts are not a nut at all. They are a legume.

we have been at our inn for 2 years and we have not had 1 nut allergy person yet. vegetarians, yes. but that is not a problem since we do not normally serve breakfast meats anyway. once in a blu moon we have a side of pecan pepper bacon and occasionally i will use proscuitto or pancetta in a dish..
mollysmom said:
a side of pecan pepper bacon
Something you've made or bought??? Sounds wonderful. I love sweet with my meat!

we have been at our inn for 2 years and we have not had 1 nut allergy person yet. vegetarians, yes. but that is not a problem since we do not normally serve breakfast meats anyway. once in a blu moon we have a side of pecan pepper bacon and occasionally i will use proscuitto or pancetta in a dish..
mollysmom said:
We've done something like that...dredge the bacon in a pecan meal and pepper mixture. Lovely!

I used to put a locally made chocolate mint like melt aways in each room. But never got one comment on them. They were $8 a pound. No longer do this.
Now I put out a bowl in the common area of peppermints that are individually wrapped. Get them from Sam's and much cheaper than the chocolates.

mollysmom said:
we made it.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
gillumhouse said:
my grandfather had 2 huge gardens when i was little. he grew peanuts.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
gillumhouse said:
my grandfather had 2 huge gardens when i was little. he grew peanuts.
My Pappy's favorite candy was circus peanuts. Every time I see them in the store I think of him.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
gillumhouse said:
yummmmmmm.....I love going to the south and getting boiled peanuts. Spicy cajun boiled peanuts.

I have star mints and butterscotch candies in candy bowls near the rooms. In the main house, I have a Jelly Belly dispenser in the guest service area that has been rigged & doesn't require pennies anymore.
regular_smile.gif
I have Jolly Ranchers in the living room. I put out the hard candies because I can pass them by!
Turndown chocolates in all the rooms - Ghirardelli, Lindor Truffles, mini Toblerones, or something more expensive and a little different. Sometimes, I'll make homemade trufffles.
I rarely put out something like Hershey chocolates in a bowl - I would eat them!!

Back