Do you have an "emergency" breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine would be yogurt & fresh fruit (always kept on hand in the fridge), my homemade granola (again, always on hand), my egg dish would be a ham and cheese omelete and then I would take some muffins I've made previously and frozen as a "plan b" and zap them in the microwave. I also have a fully cooked chicken sausage on hand which can be heated in the microwave and no one is the wiser.
After attending a conference where I learned how to make omeletes extremely fast by the Guiness World Record holder, I can do them lickety split. Certainly not setting a record myself though!
Believe me, I've had to use those omeletes as a "plan b" before!!.
After attending a conference where I learned how to make omeletes extremely fast by the Guiness World Record holder, I can do them lickety split. Certainly not setting a record myself though!
Oooh ooooh ooooh! You need to do a separate "How-to" post on that as a new topic (please).
I believe she is talking about Howard Helmer whom probably most of us have seen. Me..I've seen him dozens of times in different places over the past 30 years. Google him..I bet them may be a you tube video out there somewhere.
Yes, it is Howard Helmer. This guy LOVES eggs! He's got a really good website I just found and you can get his recipes and watch his videos. Definitely watch the video with the omelete demonstration. The Incredible Egg Man
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, it is Howard Helmer.
I am a convert to the Howard way of making omelets. It's super fast and easy, although I still don't do it if we have a full house unless I am contending with special diet issues. Getting them out two at a time is not bad but having everyone sit down at once is a challenge.
muirford said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, it is Howard Helmer.
I am a convert to the Howard way of making omelets. It's super fast and easy, although I still don't do it if we have a full house unless I am contending with special diet issues. Getting them out two at a time is not bad but having everyone sit down at once is a challenge.
The video is amazing. You could conceivably have a selection of fillings and let guest "build their own" IF you only had 4 or so to do.
An innkeeper friend of mine asks her guests the night before what they would like in their omelete. If you are organized and have all the fillings set up next to the stove, it only takes a second to add the ingredients to order. Howard says they are 45 second omelettes, but realistically they take about 2 minutes per.
Just make a big bowl of the egg mixture (2 egg, 1 Tbl water until you get to a dozen eggs, then cut down on the amount of water). I have a ladle that is the perfect size for 1 omelete.
My husband is the omlet maker..he has his down to a science and he doesn't agree with Howard's method.:)

I truly think you could have a happy dining room full of guests if you did an omelet station, like on a cruise ship! You could on one side, of course, have the crepes - sweet toppings, so everyone I satisfied.
Wait! stop me, what am I saying? This is a BnB not a big boat with staff. Do whatever you want to do, your place, your rules. Or they can heat up a bran muffin at the holiday inn..
Joe Bloggs said:
Or they can heat up a bran muffin at the holiday inn.
With a blow dryer of course....

Omlettes my way:
Similar to Howards, but first put your oven on broil, with the rack about 4-5 inches from the heat unit.
Assemble your egg mixture, two or three with the addition of a bit of cream, really smoothes the texture of the eggs.
Start in your saute pan on the stove top. I use butter, or olive oil for non-dairy folks. When about half done, add fillings, then put under broiler. This finishes them - very quickly, they puff up nicely, then you fold them over on to the already garnished plates, and whisk them off to the tables. Very fast if prep is done ahead of time.
KathleenM

Omlettes my way:
Similar to Howards, but first put your oven on broil, with the rack about 4-5 inches from the heat unit.
Assemble your egg mixture, two or three with the addition of a bit of cream, really smoothes the texture of the eggs.
Start in your saute pan on the stove top. I use butter, or olive oil for non-dairy folks. When about half done, add fillings, then put under broiler. This finishes them - very quickly, they puff up nicely, then you fold them over on to the already garnished plates, and whisk them off to the tables. Very fast if prep is done ahead of time.
KathleenM.
How long under the broiler? I will try this... Thanks!

Omlettes my way:
KathleenM.
How long under the broiler? I will try this... Thanks!
usually about 20 seconds.
km

Back