Do you provide a newspaper or papers for your guests? Magazines?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our first few years we subscribed to the big city paper and many magazines. Since we're rural, we get only a weekly local paper. After a few years, the cost of the paper (we were paying for 4 papers daily since breakfast is delivered to their rooms) kept rising and also dealing with all the papers just got too much. We also used to subscribe to several magazine, some paid for, some delivered free.
We have always recycled and composted. We've actually gotten to the point where we were able to stop trash pick-up about 7 years ago. We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump. We're now a certified "green" lodging and I stopped all deliveries except for one Sunday big city paper and the once weekly local. We keep the old magazines in all the rooms since they're still filled with area information, recipes, etc. I've only had 1 guest say over the last several years make a comment on the old magaines. Because we also live in an area where there is a lot of clear cutting, morally, I feel the need to cut back on excessive paper products. That's just the way we've decided to do business and I have no moral judgements on how others deal with it..
Breakfast Diva wrote -
We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump.
WOW!!! Wish I could get down to 1 large rolling garbage bin a WEEK! My guests leave a lot of trash!
Ours do too, especially in the busy season. We are rural, so we still have the ability to burn paper (not newspapers or mags). That helps a lot. Since the beginning of the year, our state was one of the first to have return deposit on water bottles. We're fortunate to have a good recycling program in our larger (4500 people) 1/2 hour away.
It really takes a committment to do all this recycling and composting, but worth it in the long run. Especially when I hear how expensive it is to have garbage pick up in our rural area!
We can redeem all 'drink' containers except milk and that helps quite a bit. The first time Gomez went to the bottle redemption he was embarrassed by all the alcohol bottles and explained he owned a B&B and these were all from guests! I think he gets around $10/month doing the redemption.
We can't burn anything here, but I can take the mags to the library where they have a recycle mag bin. I get some fun mags from there. We use the plastic sleeves the newspapers come in for pooper scooper bags.

Our first few years we subscribed to the big city paper and many magazines. Since we're rural, we get only a weekly local paper. After a few years, the cost of the paper (we were paying for 4 papers daily since breakfast is delivered to their rooms) kept rising and also dealing with all the papers just got too much. We also used to subscribe to several magazine, some paid for, some delivered free.
We have always recycled and composted. We've actually gotten to the point where we were able to stop trash pick-up about 7 years ago. We have 1 large black trash bag per month in the busy season that we take to the dump. We're now a certified "green" lodging and I stopped all deliveries except for one Sunday big city paper and the once weekly local. We keep the old magazines in all the rooms since they're still filled with area information, recipes, etc. I've only had 1 guest say over the last several years make a comment on the old magaines. Because we also live in an area where there is a lot of clear cutting, morally, I feel the need to cut back on excessive paper products. That's just the way we've decided to do business and I have no moral judgements on how others deal with it..
I have about 1 bag per week - even with the business, less than the 3 person family next door. We composr and recycle plastic, cans, and newspaper. There is no market for our glass so that is not recycled HOWEVER when I cook, I use the egg whites and toss the yolks and those yolks go into one of the glass jars we emptied. This keeps my trash liner clean so I can dump it into the bag for the curb a couple times before IT has to hit the street.

Big city daily, small nearby city daily and our local weekly plus lots of magazines for both men and women. I am a newspaper junkie myself.

lol! our newspaper is virtually non existant. not much goes on here. we are a 1 sq mile village with 1200 residents. there is a weekly county paper and we do provide a variety of magazines.

An innmate from the forum shared with me about a guest who absolutely loves their local town paper. I am always somewhat embarrassed about ours, esp when they make a big ado about nothing. I am trying to have it available to guests more often.
Do you like to read a local paper when out and about? Not the tourism rag or any of the entertainment weekly mags..
Love to read local papers!! One of our favorites was a police log about a "rabbit making trouble"!!

Our paper is not much. We tried the Sunday paper out of DC but that always was delivered too late for the guests to enjoy.
We have two weekly free papers that list all to do and news and put them out along with other 'things to do" mags.
Riki

Back