Do you serve a breakfast burrito?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My "Southwest" breakfasts are either:
#1 Soyrizo with eggs with jalapeno tortillas, fried potatoes with cojita cheese and cilantro, a tropical fruit and a side of mild salsa. If they need it to go, I wrap it as a burrito...if you use corn tortillas, this is a gluten free breakfast.
#2 Confetti scramble: Scrambled eggs with onions and 3 different color bell peppers with melted cheddar on top, fried potatoes, bacon, corn bread muffin with butter and honey and a side of seasonal fruit.
I don't think it matters if it is regional or not, serving this type of breakfast...my guests seem to enjoy the variety. They seem to expect pancakes, which I don't serve, other than my Norwegian pancakes...
I personally wouldn't serve chips with breakfast, and probably wouldn't serve the beans either, unless they were in the burrito....not as a side. I think they are delicious with eggs in a burrito, tho'!.
Willowpondgj said:
#1 Soyrizo with eggs with jalapeno tortillas, fried potatoes with cojita cheese and cilantro, a tropical fruit and a side of mild salsa. If they need it to go, I wrap it as a burrito...if you use corn tortillas, this is a gluten free breakfast.
#2 Confetti scramble: Scrambled eggs with onions and 3 different color bell peppers with melted cheddar on top, fried potatoes, bacon, corn bread muffin with butter and honey and a side of seasonal fruit.
I don't think it matters if it is regional or not, serving this type of breakfast...my guests seem to enjoy the variety. They seem to expect pancakes, which I don't serve, other than my Norwegian pancakes...
I personally wouldn't serve chips with breakfast, and probably wouldn't serve the beans either, unless they were in the burrito....not as a side. I think they are delicious with eggs in a burrito, tho'!
I think this sounds very yummy! I am all for trying new things while on vacation!! I might have be have "soyrizo" explained to me, but it all sounds delightful!

Here I sit in blandville and it kills me I would give my left earlobe for some spicy delicious food! I am so sick of boring tasteless breakfasts! Bring it on ole'
See this is not even spicy imo - other than perhaps the salsa - cotija is super bland Mexican cheese, fried potatoes, soyrizo would have the spices/seasoning but not hot, and then mild salsa, not even medium.

peppers, tomatoes, various things with eggs make me ill. not trying to be rude or insulting or to second guess another innkeeper. just can't eat it, is all.

I think that would be good regionally where that type of food is served. Not sure about corn chips at brekkie though. No one would eat it here....except ME! I miss breakfast taco shacks!
Since I've lived in Colorado, Texas, and California, I do put out several kinds of hot sauce (which is actually popular here on some things) and I recently found a local homemade organic salsa that I ask and will put out with most egg dishes (not Eggs Benedict). Quite a few people go for the salsa...I was surprised!!
I've been trying tomatoes and avocado for a garnish with some of my savory dishes and people like that too! You could have blown me over with a feather. haha!

I personally wouldn't serve chips with breakfast, and probably wouldn't serve the beans either, unless they were in the burrito....not as a side. I think they are delicious with eggs in a burrito, tho'!.
Willowponds breakfast sounds great. Although I am not allergic to anything or bothered by some of these things like others. The original picture with the chips, eggs, and beans is sure not appetizing though. I think it is the way the beans look. I wasn't sure what they were at first. I try and rotate the breakfast by doing a sweet main course one day and a savory the next day for variety but they aren't really spicy. I do have tabasco sauce available in case anyone wants more spice to their main course. The savory dish would have things like chives or herbs suchs as herbs de provence or rosemary or thyme.

I think that would be good regionally where that type of food is served. Not sure about corn chips at brekkie though. No one would eat it here....except ME! I miss breakfast taco shacks!
Since I've lived in Colorado, Texas, and California, I do put out several kinds of hot sauce (which is actually popular here on some things) and I recently found a local homemade organic salsa that I ask and will put out with most egg dishes (not Eggs Benedict). Quite a few people go for the salsa...I was surprised!!
I've been trying tomatoes and avocado for a garnish with some of my savory dishes and people like that too! You could have blown me over with a feather. haha!.
We offer hot sauce/ketchup when we serve and egg dish, and for the hot sauces we have one mild (Texas Pete) and one a bit stronger (Tobasco). I tell the guests which is the hotter one, and if they go for that immediately I ask them if they like really hot stuff...DH has a huge collection of hot sauces and loves to share them, so we've started an unofficial "Wall of Flame" for those who try his hottest varieties (and survive!). Those who love their hot stuff get a real kick out of this.

Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure..
suellen222 said:
Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure.
Leftovers? Hmmm, kinda like grits and biscuits and gravy? It's all relative to what the norm is for the area I'm thinkin....

I've been trying tomatoes and avocado for a garnish with some of my savory dishes and people like that too! You could have blown me over with a feather. haha!.
We offer hot sauce/ketchup when we serve and egg dish, and for the hot sauces we have one mild (Texas Pete) and one a bit stronger (Tobasco). I tell the guests which is the hotter one, and if they go for that immediately I ask them if they like really hot stuff...DH has a huge collection of hot sauces and loves to share them, so we've started an unofficial "Wall of Flame" for those who try his hottest varieties (and survive!). Those who love their hot stuff get a real kick out of this.
My brother has a hot sauce collection from all over the world too. There are some interesting ones out there.

Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure..
suellen222 said:
Honestly?! If I were a guest at a B&B and this were put in front of me I would think the owner was trying to serve me leftovers from their night out. Tortilla chips, refried beans??!! I would be an "unhappy camper" for sure.
This is a typical Mexican style breakfast.
We're in the Northeast and while our breakfast's aren't spicy, they are tasty. Hubby and I would not want a breakfast like that so I guess we won't travel to the southwest or Mexico.

Willowpondgj said:
other than my Norwegian pancakes...
What are Nowegian pancakes? I don't do pancakes on the stove but I do make puffed pancakes (dutch babies) in the oven.

Here I sit in blandville and it kills me I would give my left earlobe for some spicy delicious food! I am so sick of boring tasteless breakfasts! Bring it on ole'
See this is not even spicy imo - other than perhaps the salsa - cotija is super bland Mexican cheese, fried potatoes, soyrizo would have the spices/seasoning but not hot, and then mild salsa, not even medium..
I am one of those people that cilantro tastes like soap to me.

suellen222 said:
We're in the Northeast and while our breakfast's aren't spicy, they are tasty. Hubby and I would not want a breakfast like that so I guess we won't travel to the southwest or Mexico.
JeannineIrish said:
Not to enlighten anyone, but Mexico is amongst us, it is not just in the SW. :) If we were hispanic innkeepers in New England, then would we? Should we? In a house with a mouse? Just kidding.

We had huevos rancheros this morning. A flour tortilla topped with eggs of choice, topped with Sams's or Pace Salsa, topped with cheese. We serve El Paso vegetarian beans on the side. Some folks roll it up into a burrito, and I always smile.

It looks delicious to me. Maybe served with some warmed up tortillas too?
A popular dish in Hawaii is called a Loco Moco. Rice, a hamburger patty, eggs, covered with gravy. Eaten at any meal. Its delicous! People think its gross until they try it then they are hooked.

suellen222 said:
JeannineIrish said:
Not to enlighten anyone, but Mexico is amongst us, it is not just in the SW. :) If we were hispanic innkeepers in New England, then would we? Should we? In a house with a mouse? Just kidding.
We have some real good Mexican restaurants near us. In fact you name the ethnic origin and we have a restaurant here. I would love to try some different foods. I can't get hubby to go beyond American, Italian or Irish. My system however cannot tolerate real spicy. In our small city you could eat at a different restaurant every night for almost a year and also not hit any chains.

We don't in West Virginia. But if my inn were in New Mexico, I'd certainly consider it appropriate..
They actually ASK for it. And we always serve our chili - red and green, on the side. No salsa. That's considered bad form! LOL

This is MY kind of breakfast. I serve various forms of french toast and pancakes, but I don't like 'em. To me...it's like having dessert for breakfast. Since I don't eat dessert either - the thought of those things for breakfast gags me. I love your menu!

See this is not even spicy imo - other than perhaps the salsa - cotija is super bland Mexican cheese, fried potatoes, soyrizo would have the spices/seasoning but not hot, and then mild salsa, not even medium..
Joey Bloggs! You have inpired my next blog I am gonna write about a real Mexican breakfast...not the ones they serve turistas, and it will include my chili quille recipe. It gets raves here, and we eat it as leftovers for dinner. Ought to spice up your life a little! I'm going to do it right now!

Joey Bloggs! You have inpired my next blog I am gonna write about a real Mexican breakfast...not the ones they serve turistas, and it will include my chili quille recipe. It gets raves here, and we eat it as leftovers for dinner. Ought to spice up your life a little! I'm going to do it right now!
aieechihuahua said:
Please share the recipe or your blog link please.
We actually made moose tacos recently.
and I just ate an open faced moose roast for dinner. :) Sounds like a good opening line for a stand up comic.
Moose roast in gravy over open rolls. My family loved it. Moose, fyi is very lean, imagine the finest beef and you can picture moose.
I have my thoughts on our "prilosec nation" how 90% of our guests of all ages are on prilosec or some other acid inhibitor and cannot eat much spice or seasoned foods anymore...

OK, that was not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting everything rolled up in a soft tortilla. Maybe the idea would be fun but that brekkie pic was not appetizing at all.
We've talked about doing something like the burrito because we are seeing it on more and more diner menus around here. (And it doesn't get much less Hispanic than here.) Because we ask about what goes into the eggs (when making omelets or scrambled) we could leave out anything the guest didn't want. And we'd probably call it something else...
We do serve salsa (mild) with eggs. Tabasco sauce is also available.
Beans with brekkie? No, I don't want to be cleaning up after that later on in the day, if you get my drift. And the tortilla chips? Nope, that didn't look good, either.
I really liked the 'confetti scramble' someone mentioned. We could do that here. Thanks for the idea!

Back