E-mail From iLove Inns

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
This was in the iLoveinns news this morning:
Airbnb Inc. will need to share the names and addresses of hosts in New York City with officials thanks to a new law, the latest setback for the home-rental company in one of the world’s largest tourism destinations. The law passed 45-to-0 in a city council vote in July. Chris Lehane, head of global policy at Airbnb, said the policy will subject innocent hosts to over-policing and violates their privacy.
And in Ireland - Airbnb hosts’ details that will be handed over to the Revenue Commissioners include the name of hosts, how much they earn, the address of the property listed on Airbnb, the host’s home address, expenses such as cleaning fees, and the date of the first booking.

This is just the start. Around here, the revenue department is after them with $2500 a day fines plus all the taxes for the last 7 years.

gillumhouse said:
Chris Lehane, head of global policy at Airbnb, said the policy will subject innocent hosts to over-policing and violates their privacy.
When someone is out to deceive they are not innocent. All cities / counties etc need to adopt this law and require Air to cough up these hosts.
It will open eyes as to how many of these properties are owned by the same individuals or companies.
Not long ago I signed up for a webinar on how to make money on other people's property. It was all about renting properties to host on Air which is what I thought it was, just wanted to hear how it was being done. The guy hosting the webinar had over 100 listings on Air throughout the US per his own admission.

Back in May 2018, Airbnb required that its hosts agree to new terms & conditions. Hosts listing on their platform had to agree that Airbnb could disclose their Host and Guest data, transaction dates and amounts, and tax ID numbers with local tax authorities should the tax authorities require this information. Since their hosts have already agreed to these terms, it seems ridiculous that Airbnb is going to protest that it shouldn't disclose the information.
Airbnb's most recent terms of service can be read here https://www.airbnb.com/terms

I spent the money for a subscription to the AirDNA site, which is a database that scrapes Air's website for data on rentals by zip code. It's purpose is to provide info for those wishing to invest in Air properties. The information is sobering.
  • Even in my little ski resort town, 70 percent of the "hosts" are "multiple listing hosts."
  • My market grew from 6 rentals in 2013 (when I bought my inn) to 104.
  • In our town of 1,000 people, AirBnBs have taken in $664,116 in the first eight months of the year. In short, they've taken more than a half a million dollars out of the pockets of four licensed inns in our market who pay taxes, inspection fees, etc.
It's not grandma renting out a room. It's illegal, unlicensed innkeepers and if the states and cities would get off their asses, they'd realize how much money they're leaving on the table by not calling these people to task.
It's our job to help them figure it out.

I spent the money for a subscription to the AirDNA site, which is a database that scrapes Air's website for data on rentals by zip code. It's purpose is to provide info for those wishing to invest in Air properties. The information is sobering.
  • Even in my little ski resort town, 70 percent of the "hosts" are "multiple listing hosts."
  • My market grew from 6 rentals in 2013 (when I bought my inn) to 104.
  • In our town of 1,000 people, AirBnBs have taken in $664,116 in the first eight months of the year. In short, they've taken more than a half a million dollars out of the pockets of four licensed inns in our market who pay taxes, inspection fees, etc.
It's not grandma renting out a room. It's illegal, unlicensed innkeepers and if the states and cities would get off their asses, they'd realize how much money they're leaving on the table by not calling these people to task.
It's our job to help them figure it out..
We're a multiple listing host too, with our inn rooms plus our two vacation rentals listed on Air. 4 units total. A nearby traditional vacation rental agency now lists their client's properties on Air too. All legal, all licensed, all paying local and state tax.
More traditional lodgings are listing on Air due to it being the world's largest directory, and the small commission paid by the hosts for listing.
A pity we are all being tarred with the same brush.

Back