Electric Blankets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had my way I would have nothing BUT PRINT sheets. I have one set from the orig purchase and they keep going strong, nothing shows on them. I find the high thread count sheets are as hot as the flannelette sheets too (on my own bed). Too warm for me, even in winter have to have a cool bed and cool pillow..
Joey Bloggs said:
Too warm for me, even in winter have to have a cool bed and cool pillow.
Me, too. Love my new 100% cotton sheets. Cool all night. No idea what the thread count is, tho.

If I had my way I would have nothing BUT PRINT sheets. I have one set from the orig purchase and they keep going strong, nothing shows on them. I find the high thread count sheets are as hot as the flannelette sheets too (on my own bed). Too warm for me, even in winter have to have a cool bed and cool pillow..
Joey Bloggs said:
If I had my way I would have nothing BUT PRINT sheets.
Totally bummed when JCP stopped stocking the sheets I bought with a nice overall beige pattern. They still sell every other sheet they had at the same time but not the ones I bought. And I haven't found anything else that goes with all the different room colors.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I guess all the comments I'm erring away from the electric blankets. We have 15 tog combination down duvets on all our beds and thick matress protectors which are plush velor on one side for winter, and cotton on the other for summer.
My reason for considering them is that all our sheets are Egyptian cotton and that can feel quite cold when you first get into bed..
Flannel sheets for winter? I know it's a bigger expense than buying electric blankets, but it might be welcome.
Is that what we call Flannelette? Brushed Cotton ?
When you add on all the electric costs I expect new sheets for winter will work out cheaper.
Highlands John said:
Is that what we call Flannelette? Brushed Cotton ?
When you add on all the electric costs I expect new sheets for winter will work out cheaper.
Yes, that's it. 'Fuzzy' sheets! Even microfiber would do the trick, but there's nothing like fuzzy cotton! And they always have much cuter prints than the summer sheets...polar bears with scarves, skating penguins, snowflakes-fun stuff I wish summer sheets had!
That sounds like a much better idea than electric blankets, thanks.
It hadn't occured to me to have different sheets in the summer to winter.

How many of you use flannel (US for flannelette) sheets? We do personally, but thought guests might not, so high thread cotton is default for the inn.

How many of you use flannel (US for flannelette) sheets? We do personally, but thought guests might not, so high thread cotton is default for the inn..
It's not a good sheeting option here in the Deep South. We used white100% cotton high thread count (ironed) sheets year-round.

We have a couple of flannel sheet sets... we like them and the guests appreciate them in the colder months.

I personally would not go to an inn that advertised electric blankets. I'd be looking for down comforters. And we do use flannel sheets in the winter. Another thing we do in the winter when it's real cold (it snows here) is we have hot water bottles that have pretty cotton covers and we put two in each queen bed for our guests. They just set them outside the door when they're ready to turn in. Very homey. Guests love them.
We also have guests who have EMF issues. (electromagnetic field) An electric blanket is anathema to them. For some reason, perhaps because we advertise as a "green" facility, we get a lot of folks with environmental issues.

As an alternative to electric blankets I don't know what you call them (electric pads?) they go underneath the mattress protector and sheets against the mattress so you could still have a down duvet. I hadn't thought about EMF but it is something to consider.

Sorry but it is all sounding more hospital than hospitality to me.

I am more sympathetic as I know what the weather is like where JOhn is frequently Damp, dark and Cold to come into my B&B and slide into the bed and the sheets were all warm would make my day. It is just a case of how you manage it. I would go for hot water bottles.

I am more sympathetic as I know what the weather is like where JOhn is frequently Damp, dark and Cold to come into my B&B and slide into the bed and the sheets were all warm would make my day. It is just a case of how you manage it. I would go for hot water bottles..
I am more sympathetic as I know what the weather is like where JOhn is frequently Damp, dark and Cold
Well, cross that off my travel plans then.
wink_smile.gif

I am more sympathetic as I know what the weather is like where JOhn is frequently Damp, dark and Cold to come into my B&B and slide into the bed and the sheets were all warm would make my day. It is just a case of how you manage it. I would go for hot water bottles..
I am more sympathetic as I know what the weather is like where JOhn is frequently Damp, dark and Cold
wink_smile.gif

It is also some of the most beautiful country in the world and no where else can you see a genuine lake monster. And just think if you stay with John you will have an amazing B&B to come back to.

wink_smile.gif

It is also some of the most beautiful country in the world and no where else can you see a genuine lake monster. And just think if you stay with John you will have an amazing B&B to come back to.
I am seriously thinking of coming over there someday to meet all of you! When it gets closer to the time, I'll be asking for when it's a good time of year (to avoid the crowds rather than for 'good' weather!) I'll go to Italy for good weather.
wink_smile.gif

Monica I would like to tag along as well. :) I want to try that homemade marmalade HJ makes.

I have always used flannel sheets for winter. My guests have liked them and I ues flannel on my bed in winter also. This is a cold house and the flannel sheets make it so much nicer. I will only use the down or fiber-fill comforters for guests. Too many idjit possibilities to have electric blankets upstairs.
We have now had 2 electric blankets. The first one, I bought a king for our queen bed so we would not fight for the covers - the heat was in the wrong places, Then I got a queen size dual control and it was great - except the control unit on HIS side stopped working after a few months so my control moved to his side. I was sooo glad I had flannel sheets.

Monica I would like to tag along as well. :) I want to try that homemade marmalade HJ makes..
It's not all "damp, dark and cold" here in the winter, frosty days with clear blue skies and snow on the mountains are some of my favourites.
The only really busy month here is August and even then there are no crowds except maybe Urquhart Castle and the Loch Ness Exhibitions, the weather is usually pretty poor in August too.
When off-season visitors say "Oooh we want to come back in the summer next year" I always tell them to come May/June or September/October and not just becuase I want to fill the shoulder months
wink_smile.gif

Monica I would like to tag along as well. :) I want to try that homemade marmalade HJ makes..
It's not all "damp, dark and cold" here in the winter, frosty days with clear blue skies and snow on the mountains are some of my favourites.
The only really busy month here is August and even then there are no crowds except maybe Urquhart Castle and the Loch Ness Exhibitions, the weather is usually pretty poor in August too.
When off-season visitors say "Oooh we want to come back in the summer next year" I always tell them to come May/June or September/October and not just becuase I want to fill the shoulder months
wink_smile.gif
We've done our few trips to Scotland and Ireland in May, and had lovely weather both times. Plus the days are so long with daylight that you feel like you get a lot of time to explore.

I personally would not go to an inn that advertised electric blankets. I'd be looking for down comforters. And we do use flannel sheets in the winter. Another thing we do in the winter when it's real cold (it snows here) is we have hot water bottles that have pretty cotton covers and we put two in each queen bed for our guests. They just set them outside the door when they're ready to turn in. Very homey. Guests love them.
We also have guests who have EMF issues. (electromagnetic field) An electric blanket is anathema to them. For some reason, perhaps because we advertise as a "green" facility, we get a lot of folks with environmental issues..
Pollyanna said:
We also have guests who have EMF issues. (electromagnetic field) An electric blanket is anathema to them. For some reason, perhaps because we advertise as a "green" facility, we get a lot of folks with environmental issues.
We have our guests sleep in an Open MRI. That way the EMF from the electric blanket becomes inconsequential.
smileystooges.gif

Back