emergency inn repair

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not too handy but am learning as I go along. Isn't that the best way to learn something? Trial by fire. That has been my innkeeping experience so far..
learning as you go is fine.
trouble is, when a guest is locked in (or out) of the room, i wish i already had learned how to take care of it. guests don't want to wait an hour or more for me to figure out a solution. just like when the toilet won't flush, or keeps flushing, when they break off the thing inside the toilet, when they break the shower knob off so that the shower can't be turned on or off, when an overhead light with one of those old fashioned pull cords gets broken, when their computer won't access the wifi, they want me to fix it right away and leave them to use the whatever.
seashanty said:
learning as you go is fine.
trouble is, when a guest is locked in (or out) of the room, i wish i already had learned how to take care of it. guests don't want to wait an hour or more for me to figure out a solution. just like when the toilet won't flush, or keeps flushing, when they break off the thing inside the toilet, when they break the shower knob off so that the shower can't be turned on or off, when an overhead light with one of those old fashioned pull cords gets broken, when their computer won't access the wifi, they want me to fix it right away and leave them to use the whatever.
The worst guests we've had in re complaints about something not working are the ones needing the WiFi. They are the ones who start in immdiately saying we shouldn't advertise we have it if we don't. It does not matter how many other guests are happily emailing in the same room. If it doesn't work for them, then it is broken and should not be advertised.
We've had pipes break. Water not turn off. Breakers trip. All sorts of other problems and each of those has been met with, 'When you get a chance...'. Not so the WiFi. The WiFi HAS TO WORK NOW.
I just showed guests to a room with a gas fireplace. Could not make that thing turn on to save my life. Tried the clicker, nope. Tried the box on the floor, nope. Then it went on. I turned it off and couldn't get it back on again. Got it on and told the guest to just flip the switch to turn it off and if they were going out in the next few minutes I would change out the batteries. Nope. Going to bed. Thank you. You can fix it tomorrow, it's not important.

Back