Enough about late arrivals, what about the early bird trying to get every minute and then some out of a stay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am back to the question. I am both mildly amused and mildly annoyed when a guest shows up at my door an hour, (or two or three) early and says "we got in to town early, and just wanted to drive by to see where you are!" Methinks - then why are you standing here in my doorway? If there room is ready - they can come on in. If it isn't, I offer to keep their bags in our billiard room and tell them when they can return. Not a big deal. Not too many things are unless we let them be, which brings me to the next issue at this forum.
Tim...take a big breath before replying to a post. I know you have very strong oppinions, and that is ok. Just realize, so do other people. We should all take a deep breath and step back.
The rest of you...I am new here too. I have had my feelings hurt a little bit by a replies that, I felt, made me appear stupid, or seemed like an assumption that I am. But that is ok too. Many of you have been using this forum a very long time, and are used to each other. I am learning, albeit slowly, that I will fit in better as I learn what is ok, what is meany to be a slant, or praise or all the other nuances of a group this large. I have been around the block a bit with various forums, b&b and others, and this one is definitly one worth sticking out to learn the nuances of. Unlessl someone gets on me about spelling.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
adobenido said:
Unlessl someone gets on me about spelling.
LOL I'm not sure if this is the one SweetiePie was refering to...its the only one that comes to my mind that someone was truly given a hard time about spelling and grammar and a bunch of other things was this post from a vendor trying to play fast and loose with the truth. Given your experience looking out for innkeepers as part of your connection to your BB Association, I am pretty sure you'll agree that the hard time this person was given was rightly deserved. ;)
Sorry Swirt, that's not the one. I was referring to the poor guy that dared to respond to this thread, Trip Advisor and Why I Hate It - Grrrrrrrrrrr! He shared a letter he had sent the governor. Granted it was bad, but he received a barrage of criticism about his grammar and spelling. We never heard from him again, nor any of the other men who responded to that thread.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Just your average early bird looking to milk a stay for every minute they can and then some?
Despite having every document sent to guests in terms of confirmations, map & directions, online B&B directory listings, stating in bold print our check in time frame, we have had them anywhere from 9:45am up to 2:59pm with as many excuses as there are hours in the day.
The former owner of an inn here in Virginia had a routine that I thought was priceless. The early arrivals would usually come and catch him gardening or hauling laundry.
He would answer anything they said in spanish (or fake the spanish) and they would think nobody else was there and leave.
Since they tried to speak with the sweaty working help wearing a hat they would not recognize the dapper owner when he was there to check them in during the regular check in time!!!
What a hoot!
Riki.
Too funny...just let me think...who might that have been? :)

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Just your average early bird looking to milk a stay for every minute they can and then some?
Despite having every document sent to guests in terms of confirmations, map & directions, online B&B directory listings, stating in bold print our check in time frame, we have had them anywhere from 9:45am up to 2:59pm with as many excuses as there are hours in the day.
The former owner of an inn here in Virginia had a routine that I thought was priceless. The early arrivals would usually come and catch him gardening or hauling laundry.
He would answer anything they said in spanish (or fake the spanish) and they would think nobody else was there and leave.
Since they tried to speak with the sweaty working help wearing a hat they would not recognize the dapper owner when he was there to check them in during the regular check in time!!!
What a hoot!
Riki.
catlady said:
You know him. He used to own the Hummingbird Inn and is my web host. And I can just SEE him doing this.
Riki

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
What a hoot!
Riki.
catlady said:
You know him. He used to own the Hummingbird Inn and is my web host. And I can just SEE him doing this.
Riki
OH yeah...leave it to him...for sure:)

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Now what about the pinhead who doesn't call, doesn't ask in advance, doesn't have a medical condition needing a bed to lie down on immediately, didn't just have a horrible travel experience, etc
I believe I posted this recently, but I'm not sure... When people make a reservation to stay here I ask when they expect to arrive. If they book online, it asks them, too. If they don't say then my confirmation asks them when they expect to arrive. Whatever time they tell me, that's when I'm here to meet them. If they come early, they can ring the bell all they like.
If someone wants to come at 11 or 1, then I tell them it depends on whether we have someone the previous night. If it's off season and the room was empty, then getting them checked in by 1 or 2 is great, as far as I'm concerned. Get 'em in and settled and off I go on my merry way. If they want to come early during peak season (which, frankly, rarely happens) I tell them to call in advance to see if it will be possible.
The same goes for check outs... if no one's coming into the room they can stay as long as they like, I'm out the door and going to an auction, or yard saling, or fishing with my kids. But if the room needs flipped, then sorry, you'll need to clear out, but you can put your suitcase in the library if that's helpful. Even then, I tell them I'll do the other rooms first and then theirs so that they can have a little more time.
In both cases I haven't had anyone simply show up early or simply stay in their room late. 9 times out of 10 they ask me at breakfast what time checkout is, or I ask them what their plans are for the day. Or they mention it when they book, that their plane isn't until mid-afternoon, what time is checkout?
I believe the reasons I've had such fortune so far are 1) I'm small, 2) I'm new, and (mostly) 3) I try to communicate a LOT with my guests.
Not every guest is trying to milk a stay for every minute... maybe they want to check in before their wedding (which I certainly prefer!), or their plane doesn't leave until 3:15, or the graduation party starts at 2 and goes til 8... lots of possible reasons for someone to want to come early or late. I remind myself sometimes that I'm just the place they're staying, their main purpose (at least where I'm located and my style of B&B) is almost always something else... a wedding, funeral, reunion, graduation, seminar, business, etc.
Even if they ARE trying to milk every minute, so what? Let them get their money's worth. I certainly like to! If I can accommodate, I do, regardless of whether the recipient is greedy, needy, or appreciative. Although I don't enjoy my generosity being taken advantage of, I accept that it can and will happen (has happened!)... so what?
I, too, by the way, offer breakfast from 4 to 10. The earliest I've served so far was 4:45 a.m.... I got up at 4:30, so it was a fast and easy one. I only have four rooms though, so I can get away with it. And often people are here for simliar things, so their breakfasts end up being at similar times. I do sometimes have two seatings, but so what? It's easier than just serving for two hours straight. Sunday morning I had one at 8 a.m., then another for the newlyweds at 10... it was nice for them and fine by me.
So, don't answer the door.
Not so ironically, they usually are the same ones we're trying to extricate from their room at 11:45, noon, even as late as 1pm when one couple just wouldn't answer the knocks on the door. Check out is by 11:00. Our approach on that one is at 11:30am, we knock once and walk away. Maybe they'll think we're housekeeping. Then every fifteen minutes after that, another set of knocks with offers to help carry out a bag. By noon, if we see no activity in the packing up department, a friendly reminder of our need to get in to clean for the next set of guests arriving this afternoon is offered.
So, you're Housekeeping. After the other rooms are done (no reason why theirs has to be first is there?) if they're still in there, knock, say housekeeping, enter and start cleaning. If you have other rooms, why not do them first?
Generally most with the attitude that our day or schedule means nothing and while being acutely aware of the time space continuim in all other facets of their lives, that weekend stay at a B&B blows that all to hell.
Why should they be thinking about you or your schedule at all? They're on vacation! So who cares what they think? Do your thing. Clean the rest of the house, then start cleaning while they're in there. Keep your schedule however way you want.
Now, Joe, GillumHouse, catlady, etc. who have never had a untoward or bad guest in their homes, you can skip advice on this one due to inexperience.
Not nice... nor fair.

You are all right and I was way out of line for hitting below the belt like that. I can take my medicine and try harder to be remember we're all in the line of work with most of us facing the same kinds of issues and challenges.
I guess I created my own self-fulfilling prophecy by planting seed for the response I got from GH by my sacrcastic lead in that she needn't pipe in out of inexperience with the issue.
The question I keep coming back to with the handful of members who just can't seem to ever resist the contrarian position to whatever some folks post around here, is "If you can't answer the question, or can't resist the auto-contrarian response, can't you just leave it alone?"
Or maybe weigh in any one of the other thousands of topics open here?.
Thank you all who replied to the issue of my open calendar that, sorry Toad, was a snarky comment. It may look empty now, but it does fill up as much as I can handle in addition to the other things I do. My husband is disabled so I am also doing much that a traditional DH would do plus playing Steppin' Fetchit to him. As City Clerk I have duties with the City, as Exec Dir of our State Rails-to-Trails Council (volunteer) I have other duties - e-mails, calls, conferences, etc and spent 2 days each ot the last two years contacting the Legislature to help kill bad trail legislation, as President of the Council of Churches in this area I coordinate things with the churches, as President of the Garden Club I am in the process of steering a bunch of old ladies toward good fiscal management - the Club inherited a huge amount of money that I am trying to keep from being puked away. I also serve on several Commissions for the City as well as (unpaid) Visitor Information Center. I say this not to "pin a rose on you" attitude but to tell you that I block all my rooms at times for Conferences and out-of-town commitments for my volunteer stuff. March & April were killers on my revenue stream because of that. So do not assume that an innkeeper does not know about something because there is not a lot of bookings showing on the calendar. I get a lot of one or two week out bookings although this year my July was booked pretty full by the end of Feb. In fact the July 19 booking was made for them because they could not have the room they wanted on the date they wanted.
The fact I am still open is the amazing thing because I have had to create a reason for people to come here - and they do come back. Since I opened my doors, I would not hesitate to say over 1000 hotel rooms have opened along the I-79 corridor and Margantown to help siphon guests from me. Looks can be deceiving, Sir. I do thank you however for me finding out the regard the innmates had for me. I had no idea.
gillumhouse said:
Sir. I do thank you however for me finding out the regard the innmates had for me. I had no idea.
Of course we do! Even though you're crazy! I only hope I can be half as good as you are for half as long as you've been. The crazy part I already match you on...
=)
Kk.

I am back to the question. I am both mildly amused and mildly annoyed when a guest shows up at my door an hour, (or two or three) early and says "we got in to town early, and just wanted to drive by to see where you are!" Methinks - then why are you standing here in my doorway? If there room is ready - they can come on in. If it isn't, I offer to keep their bags in our billiard room and tell them when they can return. Not a big deal. Not too many things are unless we let them be, which brings me to the next issue at this forum.
Tim...take a big breath before replying to a post. I know you have very strong oppinions, and that is ok. Just realize, so do other people. We should all take a deep breath and step back.
The rest of you...I am new here too. I have had my feelings hurt a little bit by a replies that, I felt, made me appear stupid, or seemed like an assumption that I am. But that is ok too. Many of you have been using this forum a very long time, and are used to each other. I am learning, albeit slowly, that I will fit in better as I learn what is ok, what is meany to be a slant, or praise or all the other nuances of a group this large. I have been around the block a bit with various forums, b&b and others, and this one is definitly one worth sticking out to learn the nuances of. Unlessl someone gets on me about spelling.
adobenido said:
LOL I'm not sure if this is the one SweetiePie was refering to...its the only one that comes to my mind that someone was truly given a hard time about spelling and grammar and a bunch of other things was this post from a vendor trying to play fast and loose with the truth. Given your experience looking out for innkeepers as part of your connection to your BB Association, I am pretty sure you'll agree that the hard time this person was given was rightly deserved. ;)
Sorry Swirt, that's not the one. I was referring to the poor guy that dared to respond to this thread, Trip Advisor and Why I Hate It - Grrrrrrrrrrr! He shared a letter he had sent the governor. Granted it was bad, but he received a barrage of criticism about his grammar and spelling. We never heard from him again, nor any of the other men who responded to that thread.
SweetiePie said:
I think the only reason that was an issue is that if you're going to write a letter to a Governor, you might want that letter to be as professional as possible.
As far as spelling on this forum, we really, really try not to comment, let alone make fun... unless of course the type is so dang funny... then we just build on it.
So, misspell all you want (don't mind me, I used to teach English!), but avoid saying something like "I went fishing yesterday and only caught two crap."
=)
Kk.

adobenido said:
SweetiePie said:
I think the only reason that was an issue is that if you're going to write a letter to a Governor, you might want that letter to be as professional as possible.
As far as spelling on this forum, we really, really try not to comment, let alone make fun... unless of course the type is so dang funny... then we just build on it.
So, misspell all you want (don't mind me, I used to teach English!), but avoid saying something like "I went fishing yesterday and only caught two crap."
=)
Kk.
The point is, he had already sent the letter and he wasn't asking us for a critique of it. Kind of the same thing that happened to Tim when he wasn't anonymous and got a critique he didn't ask for of his website. Perhaps we should think twice before offering unsolicted advice in the future.

adobenido said:
SweetiePie said:
Sweetie- He emails me on ocassion. And I was one of the first to jump on that letter. And I offered my help in crafting a more coherent letter for something that was obviously very important to him. He's busy. It's not that he was scared off. He is still working on getting responses from TA about bad reviews. And he has told me that when he has news to report he will be back. He has been here reading every once in awhile.
I'm not sure who the other men were, but I do remember this guy.
Keep in mind that many who pop on here to comment do so to stir the pot, and not to become a real member of the group. They find the forum with a search (and TA problems have a lot of searchers!) and make their comments and then leave. They had no long range plan to 'belong,' just to make a point and bounce back into the ether. Not because they were scared off, regardless of what they might say on departure.
Sorry to say, I've seen some people leave here and the previous forum in a huff. They had to let everyone know how sorely mistreated they were. Were they? Not really. In many cases these were people used to being top banana no matter where they were. This is a pretty cohesive group and not the kind of group to take everything at face value and accept someone's personally stated infallability. I think you see that, right? You've become one of the group even tho you had a rough start.
If guys in particular are 'scared off' by strong women (and we're mostly women on here) I think that's their problem, not ours. Look at how many women stick around! All of them strong and independent. And most of the guys who really wanted to join and be part of the gang have stayed. The other thing I would mention is that a lot of people use names that are not necessarily gender correct. Or they are gender neutral and it only becomes obvious when they refer to the 'other partner' as dw or dh. (Which can also be a red herring.)
So all of those guys who you think bailed may not have all been guys and may not have been planning to hang around anyway. But a dramatic exit is always worth a few dozen more posts than simply fading away. I should go back and read that thread to see who disappeared after posting.

adobenido said:
SweetiePie said:
Sweetie- He emails me on ocassion. And I was one of the first to jump on that letter. And I offered my help in crafting a more coherent letter for something that was obviously very important to him. He's busy. It's not that he was scared off. He is still working on getting responses from TA about bad reviews. And he has told me that when he has news to report he will be back. He has been here reading every once in awhile.
Keep in mind that many who pop on here to comment do so to stir the pot, and not to become a real member of the group. They find the forum with a search (and TA problems have a lot of searchers!) and make their comments and then leave. They had no long range plan to 'belong,' just to make a point and bounce back into the ether. Not because they were scared off, regardless of what they might say on departure.
Sorry to say, I've seen some people leave here and the previous forum in a huff. They had to let everyone know how sorely mistreated they were. Were they? Not really. In many cases these were people used to being top banana no matter where they were. This is a pretty cohesive group and not the kind of group to take everything at face value and accept someone's personally stated infallability. I think you see that, right? You've become one of the group even tho you had a rough start.
If guys in particular are 'scared off' by strong women (and we're mostly women on here) I think that's their problem, not ours. Look at how many women stick around! All of them strong and independent. And most of the guys who really wanted to join and be part of the gang have stayed. The other thing I would mention is that a lot of people use names that are not necessarily gender correct. Or they are gender neutral and it only becomes obvious when they refer to the 'other partner' as dw or dh. (Which can also be a red herring.)
So all of those guys who you think bailed may not have all been guys and may not have been planning to hang around anyway. But a dramatic exit is always worth a few dozen more posts than simply fading away. I should go back and read that thread to see who disappeared after posting.
I'm glad to hear he wasn't scared off and that he is continuing in that important endeavor. The other man I recall was an innkeeper from Australia.

adobenido said:
SweetiePie said:
I'm glad to hear he wasn't scared off and that he is continuing in that important endeavor. The other man I recall was an innkeeper from Australia.
SweetiePie said:
I had to go look. It really does seem that the guy from Oz was here only to post about TA. It's all he posted about. One day. He was here and gone, never even posted on any other thread. For all I know he never read any other thread. TA is highly searchable. And it's a magnet for conflict. Anyone who knows anything about it has an opinion, usually a strong one.
And not just on this forum, either. Hotel and innkeeping and restaurant forums all over the world have comments about TA. Think of it as a lightning rod. The number of times I've read, 'We didn't want to give the guest/customer/patron their way but we were afraid of the TA reviews,' boggles my mind. I won't live like that. TA reviews do not cross my mind when I am working with a guest to resolve a problem, but that is obviously not the case with everyone.
When there is a topic with such strong opinions it can be hard to just land in the middle of it thinking everyone has the same opinion and then find out that's not true.
I posted on a travel forum about a topic I knew something about (my hometown). One poster on the forum was quite obviously the queen bee. When I contradicted her opinion she started calling me names and telling me I could go to hell if I didn't like what she said. Whoa Nellie. I know something about my town that you don't and I can go to hell? THAT'S an unfriendly place to visit much less hang out! I knew I was taking a chance with what I said because I read a few things she posted and saw how everyone agreed with her. I didn't want false info about my town on a travel website. I monitor that site for more false info and chime in when it's necessary. She still hates me. When I post, she's the first to respond and she slams whatever I say. At this point I could say that it's hot in FL in the summer and she'd say it's much cooler this year.

You are all right and I was way out of line for hitting below the belt like that. I can take my medicine and try harder to be remember we're all in the line of work with most of us facing the same kinds of issues and challenges.
I guess I created my own self-fulfilling prophecy by planting seed for the response I got from GH by my sacrcastic lead in that she needn't pipe in out of inexperience with the issue.
The question I keep coming back to with the handful of members who just can't seem to ever resist the contrarian position to whatever some folks post around here, is "If you can't answer the question, or can't resist the auto-contrarian response, can't you just leave it alone?"
Thank you all who replied to the issue of my open calendar that, sorry Toad, was a snarky comment. It may look empty now, but it does fill up as much as I can handle in addition to the other things I do. My husband is disabled so I am also doing much that a traditional DH would do plus playing Steppin' Fetchit to him. As City Clerk I have duties with the City, as Exec Dir of our State Rails-to-Trails Council (volunteer) I have other duties - e-mails, calls, conferences, etc and spent 2 days each ot the last two years contacting the Legislature to help kill bad trail legislation, as President of the Council of Churches in this area I coordinate things with the churches, as President of the Garden Club I am in the process of steering a bunch of old ladies toward good fiscal management - the Club inherited a huge amount of money that I am trying to keep from being puked away. I also serve on several Commissions for the City as well as (unpaid) Visitor Information Center. I say this not to "pin a rose on you" attitude but to tell you that I block all my rooms at times for Conferences and out-of-town commitments for my volunteer stuff. March & April were killers on my revenue stream because of that. So do not assume that an innkeeper does not know about something because there is not a lot of bookings showing on the calendar. I get a lot of one or two week out bookings although this year my July was booked pretty full by the end of Feb. In fact the July 19 booking was made for them because they could not have the room they wanted on the date they wanted.
The fact I am still open is the amazing thing because I have had to create a reason for people to come here - and they do come back. Since I opened my doors, I would not hesitate to say over 1000 hotel rooms have opened along the I-79 corridor and Margantown to help siphon guests from me. Looks can be deceiving, Sir. I do thank you however for me finding out the regard the innmates had for me. I had no idea.
gillumhouse said:
Sir. I do thank you however for me finding out the regard the innmates had for me. I had no idea.
Of course we do! Even though you're crazy! I only hope I can be half as good as you are for half as long as you've been. The crazy part I already match you on...
=)
Kk.
You are too sweet!

gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
You are too sweet!
gillumhouse said:
You are too sweet!
What? You want me to call you a crazy old bat?
You worked hard to get where you are and have what you've got. I chose innkeeping specifically because it's hard work and I want my kids to work hard. How can I have anything but respect for you?
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
You are too sweet!
gillumhouse said:
You are too sweet!
You worked hard to get where you are and have what you've got. I chose innkeeping specifically because it's hard work and I want my kids to work hard. How can I have anything but respect for you?
=)
Kk.
I appreciate the respect and thank you. Actually Crazy Old Bat probably fits.

gillumhouse said:
=)
Kk.
You are too sweet!
gillumhouse said:
You are too sweet!
=)
Kk.
gillumhouse said:
I don't think you're a bat at all....

I've noticed (that at least in our town) the nasty Innkeeper who's uptight, unfriendly and unbending has the worst guest stories to tell, and the reviews to go along with his attitude. Likewise, the Innkeeping pair with the quirkiest sense of humor has the funniest guest stories to tell.
Go figure.

I've noticed (that at least in our town) the nasty Innkeeper who's uptight, unfriendly and unbending has the worst guest stories to tell, and the reviews to go along with his attitude. Likewise, the Innkeeping pair with the quirkiest sense of humor has the funniest guest stories to tell.
Go figure..
Welcome Little Blue Inn.
welcome.gif

Back