Estimated cost?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melissag

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a long term hotelier. I have worked in every department including front desk, housekeeping, banquets, sales, night audit, income audit, ordering and picking up supplies, and even as an Assistant General Manager. I've worked everything from 26 rooms to over 800 rooms. I love the industry. I have to admit, I fell into it when I was going to college and never expected in my life that I would end up with it as my career.
I live in the greater New Orleans area. Ever since the Super Bowl a few years ago, business has come rushing back with a vengeance and the news is saying that we are busier now than before the hurricane. Though I'm not sure if I believe the news, I can definitely say that we are very busy. The last hotel that I worked at (26 rooms as the AGM, it more a question of what didn't I do than it is what I did do because I did everything and anything that was needed even accounting and housekeeping, occasional maintenance, running front desk shifts, etc) ran at 80-100% occupancy every night of the year even during the normally extremely slow months of August and September. I started on the day it opened, and created everything from scratch. All policies and procedures, even the SOP. Some was experimental and over time I learned what worked and what didn't. Front Desk, housekeeping, sales, and more. Even the General Manager didn't create influence things the way I did as he had other duties to attend to. I know now what goes into making it work. 10-14 hour days were not unusual. Running lodging is a lot of work, especially when there is nothing existing already to make it function as it should.
After so many years, and so much experience, I badly want to own my own place. Bed and Breakfast, or small hotel is my preference. And I am tired of working for someone else. I want to put what I've learned over the years to good use for myself instead of relying on someone else.
At the 26 room place, the previous owner owned the business but not the property. She rented the property from someone else. I see no reason why I could not do the same at a place.
The thing is, I'm having a difficult time finding information on the costs associated with this. To get a business loan, I need to provide a certain amount (I think its 6 months of the running cost including rent/mortgage, bills like water electricity and supplies, and staff wages) to get the rest. Without having an idea of what this will cost, it feels impossible to estimate. I have a very good idea what the bills would be including supplies due to running the information for my last hotel, I also have a fairly good idea what wages would be based on the size and the number of housekeepers needed if any (4 rooms for example, wouldn't need housekeeping staff). What I don't know is the relative cost for rent/lease/mortgage for my area. Or if its even possible to do that because I've been looking for a very long time and have yet to find that an option anywhere in the state. I need to know relatively how much I would need to save to accomplish my dream of finally having my own lodging business. Of course, in the meantime, I will need to find a job so I can continue to pay my own bills.
Do you have any advice that you can give me at all? Even places I can go to find out the information because the internet seems relatively useless in this no matter what search string I use.
Thank you for your help in advance.

wow- that's a lot of sharing- I should have clicked here first-
maybe after a little nap and a few more thoughts from others.

Welcome to the forum
"To get a business loan, I need to provide a certain amount (I think its 6 months of the running cost including rent/mortgage, bills like water electricity and supplies, and staff wages) to get the rest."
There is absolutely no way we can answer this "mortgage" is the property $1.5 mil or $559K? What is your down payment? So...we have no idea what your monthly mortgage would be for 6 months.
As an fyi without a decent (ie chunky down payment, business loans are non existent). Do you have a B&B in mind? If so, then you would be able to get that info directly from them, and add in the cost of the specific mortgage payment you plan to pay.
All the best!

No one is going to tell you this information unless you have a property in mind and have actual cash to be considered a serious buyer. How much you need? Well again depends on the property. Very few out there who will lease/rent you their B & B...though it is not unheard of as someone mentioned above. Still you need a hefty down payment no matter what you do.

Welcome. You seem to be an aggressive young woman ready to take on the world. Best wishes to you in making your dream reality.
The fact is that it will take deep pockets to put your dream into action. It sounds like you are wanting to stay in your area, at least your state,so start by looking at properties for sale or lease in New Orleans that you would consider being a great B&B.
Just looking at the prices and doing a estimated monthly mortgage (many sites have this option) should give you a ballpark figure to work with. Of course lots more goes into settling on a property with zoning and such but this is just to get that ballpark figure you are looking for.

As others have said, there are very few properties that are willing to rent or lease. Too much at stake for the owners. So the question is, do you have a good chunk of change to purchase a 4 room b&b? What are they being listed at in your area? Do you have at least 30% down? If not, then you might want to hire yourself out as a live-in innkeeper. There are jobs out there if you choose that route. Of course, you're still working for someone, but it might be a better option if your funds are not there.
There are so many variables that it's difficult for us to give you any specifics. If you have a property in mind, we might be able to help more.

If you're renting a property but owning the business do you see anything like that advertised in your area? You need to buy the business and also be able to come up with the rent.
You'll need to understand how the business portion is appraised before you purchase anything. Also understand any covenants associated with the property.
Who maintains what? Do you replace the roof or does the property owner? Do you get home owner's insurance?
Given your extensive work in the hotel industry, you already know the costs associated with hiring staff, buying supplies, etc. If you live in the area you know the cost of utilities.
Add these things up along with what renting a large property is going for in your area.
Another option is to look at the going price to buy a business and property outright. Then add in everything you know about the expenses from your previous jobs.
We needed a buffer of $75k - $90k which was about 9 months' operating expenses. That's on a 7 room B&B. Then we needed 25% down on the property to secure financing. I think that gone up to 30-40% now.
It's a lot of research but talking with business brokers, not Realtors, is the way to go.

This post is so much like the many lookers we have had. Sharing all about them, but not really what they can or plan on doing, financially wise (I don't expect it to be shared here with us, we are not a lender -fyi).
Do you have a hefty down payment?
Do you make or will you make enough $ to repay the monthly payment - back to the bank or lender? That is what they want to hear. Your experience has nothing to do with it, sorry to say. You can be magnificent and try to buy an inn that cannot cover the costs - and those costs are dependent, of course, on how much you put down.
If the inn is for sale at $500,000 and you want to put down $350,000 for example, or if the inn is for sale at $500,000 and you want to put down $20,000 (this last scenario would never fly in today's economy).

You could google "bed and breakfast business plan". Some guides include guidelines for budget calculations.
Honestly, if I were you, and as others mention the difficulty, I'd try to figure out how to do it without taking a loan out right away. I'd look online to see which inns were for sale in my area, look up their TA ratings, and target a couple with OK but not great or poor ratings (less to lose, less of themselves tied up in the inn but still an OK property) to see if they'd be open for owner financing/lease/alternate arrangement.

As others have said, there are very few properties that are willing to rent or lease. Too much at stake for the owners. So the question is, do you have a good chunk of change to purchase a 4 room b&b? What are they being listed at in your area? Do you have at least 30% down? If not, then you might want to hire yourself out as a live-in innkeeper. There are jobs out there if you choose that route. Of course, you're still working for someone, but it might be a better option if your funds are not there.
There are so many variables that it's difficult for us to give you any specifics. If you have a property in mind, we might be able to help more..
And this option will show you the difference between B & B operation and hotel. VERY different animals.

Thank you for your help everyone..
I think leasing a B&B makes absolutely no sense.
It is hard these days to show an actual profit in many businesses. And many businesses have value in their accumulated value.
If you try to lease a B&B, it seems you lose a lot of both:
- Paying down the mortgage on a B&B (building equity) represents a form of profit and wealth to me. When you lease, you have none of this
- Innkeepers who build a brand, a desirable inn over the years, create value that should exceed the value of the building. But the building, its furnishings and theme and everything else is hard to separate from the business. If leased, how can you sell it or realize this value later?

Welcome! You have come to a great place for getting valuable information, meeting great people, being entertain to the hilt, and being a part of "the family" if you make it past "our beloved watchdogs" and Swirt!

Back